PC/WI: Theodosius II doesn't die in 450, Miaphysitism becomes Orthodoxy

What if Theodosius II, Eastern Roman Emperor, doesn't die in a riding accident in 450?

I'm envisioning a scenario in which the results of the "Robber Council" (Second Council of Ephesus) in 449 are not overturned immediately. If Theodosius lives longer, Marcian has no way to the throne and Pulcheria likely never returns to power. Thus, the Council of Chalcedon and the resulting Dyophysitism doesn't happen as in OTL.

Theodosius probably had another 10 or 20 years in him. During that time, could he (or rather the people surrounding him, e.g. Dioscorus of Alexandria) enshrine Miaphysitism as the official Orthodox christology, maybe in an additional council? An Alt-Chalcedon so to speak, that patches over some of the procedural irregularities of 2nd Ephesus.

Is such a scenario plausible at all? If so, what do you think would result from it?

I would imagine the relationship with the Bishop of Rome would be irreparably damaged, though it would be interesting to see what would happen if the Eastern Empire ever regained control of Rome, however briefly. On the other hand, it would prevent a lot of persecutions in the eastern parts of the Empire, maybe even inspire loyalty in the Miaphysite parts of the population there. What would happen in the heartland around Constantinople? Would Miaphysitism be acceptable at all in those parts?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Philip

Donor
An Alt-Chalcedon so to speak, that patches over some of the procedural irregularities of 2nd Ephesus.

A council to confirm Ephesus would almost certainly be needed. Somehow Rome would have to be involved or the monks in Constantinople will remain a problem.

On the other hand, it would prevent a lot of persecutions in the eastern parts of the Empire, maybe even inspire loyalty in the Miaphysite parts of the population there.

I don't know how much this would help. Much of the conflict was as much political as well as religious.

Something else to consider: Miaphysitism enjoyed some support in Persia because it was not the official Roman version of Christianity. This truly came to a head in the early 7th century when the Sassanians overran the Levant and Egypt and endorsed the Miaphysite bishops. This dynamic could be greatly altered in your scenario.

I don't know how much this would help. Much of the conflict was as much political as well as religious.

True. I find it hard to find the exact delineation between the two sometimes. I could imagine that a shift towards Alexandrian theology might also lead to a shift in political power, as Alexandrian influences become stronger in general. That's not to say that Alexandria outshines Constantinople, but rather that the Eastern Empire evolves into more of a bipolar system, where Constantinople leads administratively and economically while Alexandria gains primacy theologically. This seems possible, especially if Rome's claims to papal primacy are hindered early as a result of "losing" the christological controversy. Even more so if Rome possibly isn't even in the Empire anymore (depending on how the migration period works out ITL).

Could this help with the political side of the conflict? Though admittedly it does little to address problems in the Levant.

Something else to consider: Miaphysitism enjoyed some support in Persia because it was not the official Roman version of Christianity. This truly came to a head in the early 7th century when the Sassanians overran the Levant and Egypt and endorsed the Miaphysite bishops. This dynamic could be greatly altered in your scenario.

Yes, that's what I thought as well. And with a Miaphysite position being even more opposed to Nestorianism than OTL Orthodoxy, the persecution of Nestorians in the Roman Empire might be even more vigorous. If the Sassanids wanted to support a form of Christianity contrary to Imperial Roman doctrine they would be much more likely to endorse Nestorianism and the Church of the East, even more than IOTL. As far as I know Nestorians were more numerous than Miaphysites in the Sassanian Empire anyway.

Last edited: