"Our Struggle": What If Hitler Had Been a Communist?

Excellent. A realistic view of possible developments in this situation.
“I don’t think we’ll be hearing from Major Von Manstein again.” Lars observed.
Good riddance. Dreadful man, although he seems to be a favourite of fanboys. He always declined to play any role in resistance to the regime, but said that he would join it if they succeeded.
“Major Heinz Guderian!”
Guderian was an outlier in the Reich - professionally, he'd serve anyone who let him have lots of tanks. OTOH, in his book Achtung, Panzer!, published in 1937, he rejects the narrative of the "stab in the back" defeating Germany:
[After Soissons and Amiens] the German Army's power of resistance faced an inevitable decline, while fresh forces streamed ceaselessly to the armies of the enemy alliance. One million Americans, and incalculable numbers of tanks and aircraft were ready for the Alliance as early as the autumn of 1918. There was absolutely no prospect that the military situation would be any better for us in 1919. Ten days after the Battle of Amiens an Imperial Council in Spa decided to open peace negotiations at a suitable opportunity.
Cassell pb ed, 1992, p 121 trans Christopher Duffy, with notes by Paul Harris

This was quite a brave thing for an ambitious officer to write at the time.

Loving all these updates! Whenever I finish reading a new one, I can't help but wish there were more. Keep it up, dude!

Excellent. A realistic view of possible developments in this situation.

Thanks guys!

Good riddance. Dreadful man, although he seems to be a favourite of fanboys.

He does appear to be a blindspot even for non-Wehraboos although things seem to have gotten a bit better recently.

This was quite a brave thing for an ambitious officer to write at the time.

I suppose he was relying on the fact that it was a dry book on military theory that few people would read and that whilst the army could entertain the "stab in the back" nonsense publically if they were to actually learn the lessons of the last war they'd have to acknowledge they'd lost it.

I remember a Quora answer unironically arguing that when Manstein said 'Judeo-Bolsheviks' he wasn't being antisemitic. There seems to be a particular blindspot for military geniuses who were also vile people.

I remember a Quora answer unironically arguing that when Manstein said 'Judeo-Bolsheviks' he wasn't being antisemitic. There seems to be a particular blindspot for military geniuses who were also vile people.
That blindspot was deliberately created due to Western admiration for the military prowess of the German Military and for German Generals in the post-war world and by the misleading memoirs of German Generals, who sought to hide the German Military and their own complicity with the crimes of the Nazi Regime. To be clear, not all Germans, both civilians, and military were crazy lunatics or even vile men, but the vast majority of so-called moderates either did not care or supported the Nazi's Leadership to such an extent that they dismissed or ignored any sort of moral misgivings. In fact, in most situations, they wholeheartedly supported the Nazi Party and Hitler either out of loyalty to Hitler, out of a desire to see Germany Great Again or being bribed by Hitler as was the case for most of the German military leadership.

After the initial German conquest of Europe during the first half of the Second World War, Many German Generals were rewarded massive estates in the newly conquered territories and given large amounts of money by their gracious leader. The idea that the German Wehrmacht fought a clean war is a massive lie made up by German Generals who desired to cover up their involvement with the Nazi Regime in their memoirs. It was only after historians began looking into other records and documents, especially those written during the war, that this deception fell to pieces. That is not to say that there weren't any good German soldiers. There are a few notable cases of Wehrmacht Soldiers, who went out of their way to protect Jews. But these were very few and between, and any German soldier who associated with Jews risked being treated like them. The vast majority of the Wehrmacht simply did not have the civil courage to stand up against their superiors or for what was right. In most situations, the Wehrmacht actively participated in these crimes against humanity or just ignored it.

Last edited:
I suppose he was relying on the fact that it was a dry book on military theory that few people would read and that whilst the army could entertain the "stab in the back" nonsense publically if they were to actually learn the lessons of the last war they'd have to acknowledge they'd lost it.
The book was apparently a big seller, though I don't know to who.

It has to be placed in context: Guderian was fighting other sections of the armed forces for resources and public recognition. Achtung, Panzer! is a propaganda book, aimed against these. A very good one, though.

Chapter XCIII
The revolution has begun. What is called for now is not jubilation at what has been accomplished, not triumph over the beaten foe, but the strictest self-criticism and iron concentration of energy in order to continue the work we have begun. For our accomplishments are small and the foe has not been beaten.

~ Rosa Luxemburg

1593616405514.png

“Now Comrades, who here wants some land?”

There was an affirmative cheer and loud clapping from the meeting hall of the Kaltenkirchen Land Administration Office in response to what Gerda had asked. She couldn’t help but grin.

The plaid suit and republican tricolour armband of the United Front’s new bureaucracy had made her feel uncomfortable at first but this was the sort of the task that she had spent over a decade working towards.

Before Rosa, before the KPD, even before working at the munitions factory in Essen, she had been a farmgirl. She didn’t have fond memories of her life from that time, the work was always endless and it was done for little reward. The fawning deference with which the tenants had had to treat the landowner as he robbed them of their own labour had always disgusted her. She had often got the impression her parents had felt the same way but were too trapped in the inertia of the system to do anything about it. Her grandfather had been the tenant before her father after all.

She had wanted to escape from that cycle and the war had provided such an opportunity to do so. Her parents had tried to block her from going to do war work in Essen, it wasn’t women’s work after all and she was needed at the farm. Gerda’s arguments appealing to their patriotism hadn’t had any effect and so the conversation had ended in her stating that she had no intention of marrying the boy from the next lot over and pumping out new tenants to bow to whoever inherited the estate.

Gerda hadn’t spoken to them since. She had considered writing to them on occasion but had always been brought to a pause when thinking what she would write. That she had had a child out of wedlock? That she then hadn’t married the father or indeed any man? That she was also a Communist? Leaving them in the dark about those faces was probably for the best but she could still do right by them now, and by her old self.

When she had heard that the United Front were carrying out a nationwide land reform initiative she had jumped at the opportunity to help organise it. For all her doubts about governing in coalition with the Social Democrats this was something practical she could do that would have a positive effect on the lives of ordinary labourers. And so here she was, Land Administrator for the district of Segenberg in Schleswig-Holstein, taking the land from the reactionary estates and handing it to those who worked it.

One such redistribution was happening today. She would take the farmers name and examine their accreditation and then Dieter, in the role of her assistant, would hand them the deeds to their new land. With Hamburg’s docks out of action Dieter wasn’t likely to get his old job back in a hurry and although there was a lot of work in the ongoing reconstruction of the city he had been happy to take the assistant role. She had had to educate him in a lot of the tasks demanded by secretarial work but he had learned quickly and it was good to be near him whilst on the job, she had even found a school for Rosa within the town.

The meeting hall was packed well beyond its intended capacity but Gerda could understand the excitement. There were more people than the seats allotted to those expected to arrive to claim their 100 hectares today. Then again she wouldn’t be surprised if their friends had also turned up to get an idea of the process before their turn came. She asked those who were registered for lots to come forward and many did remain seated as a queue formed.

The first few farmers had taken their deeds with the pleasant mix of excitement and gratitude she had gotten used to in the previous weeks. The next man in the queue came forward without any look of anticipation on his face however. If anything he looked annoyed.

Gerda was aware that some people were wary of taking part in the process, as if the land they were receiving was charity despite them working it for years. She gently asked the name for his name, trying to relieve the sour expression from his face. He gave it curtly and Gerda looked down the list to find it.

It wasn’t there.

“I’m sorry comrade but I don’t seem to have your name down here. Can I just make sure that you worked the Schulze estate?” Gerda felt embarrassed, the man was in a bad enough mood without exacerbating it.

“No.”

“We are only dealing with labourers from the Schulze estate at this session, if you will register then-”

“I’m from the Vogt estate,” the man barked at her, “and he isn’t on your list so there’s not much point in me registering is there?”

“Settle down Comrade, we can get to the bottom of this without that tone.” Dieter interjected sharply.

“There’s nothing to get to the bottom of, Comrade. Apparently he didn’t support the fight against your United Front. Well everyone who used to work for him knows how he was gonna send us off to fight and we told him to shove it. He laid us off and when your revolution came you didn’t even ask us about him. You saw the republic flag on his manor and said, “No problem here.” Well we’re here for our land, we’ve worked as hard as anyone else for it.”

There was a loud cheer from behind the queue. Those who had been sat were now on their feet. It appeared they weren’t just observers after all.

“Comrades, please,” Gerda stood and tried to bring the hall to order.

“I’m not your Comrade. ” The man snapped.

“Well then, Sir, you will appreciate the land reform we are carrying out across Germany is incremental. Those estates who actively sided with the Third Reich will be the first to go but that it is merely to avoid economic dislocation.”

“There we have it folks, economic dislocation.” A man shouted from the crowd.

“To avoid accidentally harming our national reconstruction,” Gerda shouted over him.

“Economic dislocation! That’s what goes for comradeship when it comes to the United Front!” The man stepped out from the crowd towards the table and Gerda cursed. Why hadn’t she realised Claus Heim was here?

Claus Heim, leader of the Rural People’s Movement and ubiquitous pain in the arse. Before the civil war they had taken the concerns of the local peasantry to a militant level, using tactics that ranged from civil disobedience to outright violence. Luckily this stunt appeared to have been on the more peaceful side of things so far but with Heim involved it was hard to know if it would stay that way

“Back to your seat mate,” Dieter said, standing up to face the older man.

“Sit yourself down, lackey. Don’t think I can’t take you.” Heim growled back.

Dieter didn’t reply but continued to stand, waiting to see how this would progress.

“We rose up when you rose up, fought the fascists and junkers alongside you, if it wasn’t for our movement warning you about the Hamburg flotilla you’d have had the Reichsmarine bearing down on you and you wouldn’t even have known it! This victory’s ours as much as yours but we are the only ones who appear to be being shafted in the name of your national reconstruction.”

“Oh come off it Claus,” Gerda shouted over the heckles, “we’re doing exactly what you’re asking for. You're just looking for a reason to throw your weight around but in doing so you’re holding up the common farmer from getting their due.”

“What do you know about the common farmer?” Heim sneered.

“I grew up on a farm, spent most of my life on one. I know what agricultural workers have had to put up with and if someone was in the way of improving my life for the sake of their own ego I’d want them to get out of the way and register like everyone else.”

Heim paused for a moment, staring at her, as if trying to discern whether she was telling the truth.

“Nah, you’re all city talk, your parents might have been farmers but you’ve as much connection to the land as a skyscraper. If you were one of us you’d show solidarity with your class. Everyone’s getting their land, not just a few estates you want to make examples of.”

He looked back at the crowd but the reaction was mixed this time.

“Now hang on,” a farmer from the queue protested, “everyone deserves their due but my family does work the Schulze estate. If my deed’s available right now I don’t see how it’s helping the rural folks for me to refuse it. Seems like only old Schulze would benefit from that.”

“Shut it,” the original complainer retorted before beckoning Heim to go on but more men from the original queue were now gathering around him.

“Much of what you say is true,” The protesting farmer said to Heim, “but we’ve worked under that bastard for too long to see you help him keep his land by splitting hairs.”

“This isn’t splitting hairs, it’s about what you said, everyone getting their due.”

“And I’ll get mine just now.” The man moved towards the table, trying to push Heim away but the older man stood firm. A scuffle broke out between them.

“This isn’t getting us anywhere!” Gerda protested but the original complainer had already pulled the farmer off Heim only to be accosted himself by other men, presumably from the Schulze estate. Another man who had previously been queuing patiently now darted for the deeds causing Gerda to instinctively grab them and hold them to her chest. To her horror she realised she was bearing her republican armband like some sort of shield.

“You’ve got my land!” The man shouted at her.

“You’ve lost the plot!” Dieter shouted back, he moved Gerda out of the hall whilst the fighting spread throughout the auditorium. Chairs began to fly before Dieter slammed the door.

They both stood there stunned, Gerda continuing to cradle the deedds in her arms whilst the riot inside the hall seemed to be intensifying.

“I don’t know about you,” Dieter finally said, “but I think I’ll go back to being a docker. Secretaries have it way too rough.”

---

The poster is Junkerland in Bauernhand by Kurt Fiedler

Last edited:
<>
I could see him going for it and being accepted although similar to Speer his career trajectory IOTL was fairly dependent on a personal relationship with Hitler that's unlikely to materialise here. Hitler might put up with having former Reichswehr men in the People's Guard but I doubt that would extend to his personal bodyguard.
Hitler still might take a liking to Rommel since he isn't a Prussian aristocrat with a "von" in his name and if Rommel still writes his book "Infantry in Attack" (which Hitler read and approved of IOTL) and Hitler reads it and as an old infantryman himself likes the book he might take Rommel as his protege instead of Speer who I don't see becoming a communist.

I don't think that the collectivization or even the creation of individual farms are going to solve the problem of food self-sufficiency of Germany. More probably when the war will start, the Soviet Union is going to be the major food exporter for the germans.

It's less that and more being influenced by the future snippets the author has given us to show how the DAR will turn out. We know it's going to be a country with a "Volksführer" and forced labour camps for political dissidents. Now, it's not impossible that those things will coexist with genuinely multi-option democratic elections. But they usually don't.

It might be a red herring

Chapter XCIV
This is a peculiar epoch, or rather stage of development, and in order to defeat capital completely, we must be able to adapt the forms of our struggle to the peculiar conditions of this stage.

~ Vladimir Lenin, The Immediate Tasks of the Soviet Government

1593784570470.png

Adolf Hitler sat pondering the newly reconstructed foundations of Karl Liebknecht Haus whilst he sat amongst his own recently rebuilt Zentrale.

The old foundations of the building had been kept the same although much of the equipment had been replaced at the expense of the German National People’s Party and Volkisch Bund offices. They didn’t need it anymore. Both Goebbels and Lang had been excited by the propaganda potential of the expropriations of UFA conducted clandestinely by the People’s Guard. The new Zentrale was in some ways also enhanced by defunct parties.

Heinrich Brandler had returned to the Zentrale alongside his dissolved KPD (Opposition) which had been named after the group organised around Nikolai Bukharin in opposition against Stalin. Those denounced by the Kremlin as “right-oppositionists” had been the only people to say kind things about the KPD after their split with the Comintern. Conversely Adold had also now brought Ruth Fischer and Arkadi Maslow back into the fold with Fischer on the Zentrale. Both Fischer and Maslow had been expelled from the party for their support for the ‘Left Opposition’ to Stalin. They had set up the Leninbund, a bizarre organisation that had aimed to operate both within and without the KPD but it had now become overrun with Trotskyites and, denounced by both Stalin and Trotsky, they found themselves in the same boat as Adolf once again.

He realised there were old scores between these two groups but he could rely on the fact that they were competent in their chosen roles of union and party propaganda. The fact that these right and left oppositionists had even less regard for each other than they did for him had also made them easier to control. This was what Stalin had done after all and it was what made Hitler prefer him, even now, to Trotsky and his reckless dreamers. As long as Brandler, Fischer and their ilk could be relied upon to stay focused on the important matters at hand they were useful, and unless they allowed their resentments to come to the forefront of their actions there would be no need to purge them once more.

Now the Civil War had been won both Brander and Fischer’s groups had been silenced from criticising Moscow and it seemed Moscow was playing along as well. The success of the United Front seemed to have gained Stalin’s attention. He had considered re-establishing links with Moscow but it wasn’t a conversation he was necessarily looking forward to.

Alongside these reunited elements were the loyal members who had remained with him throughout the split. Ludwig Renn, a senior member of the Citizens Defence Council, allowed the strong link between the Communist and the People’s Guard to be maintained. It was considered controversial for an individual to have a senior position in both the largest party in the Reichstag and the new German military but Renn had defended himself by pointing to the more furtive actions of the Reichswehr over the years and stating that at least he was being transparent. Then there was the Party President, Rose Levine-Meyer. Her role would have technically made her more powerful within the party than Adolf himself in the past but now it had been reduced to being effectively a ceremonial position. This didn’t mean she wasn’t a competent administrator however and her role in the Bavarian Soviet provided a link to when Adolf had first fought as a revolutionary. He had learned many lessons since then. There was also Willi Munzenberg, financial expert with an organisational capacity that Adolf feared might go beyond his own. He was also not here, something which had become a recurring problem recently.

The meeting couldn’t start without him and as such it was a relief to hear a similar sound of feet screeching on the newly waxed floor before the door opened with a jolt.

“Sorry, sorry, I know I’m late again.” Willie Munzenberg nearly dropped several folders he was carrying, holding up a hand as if to hold off any imminent criticism in spite of the fact his colleagues had already grown well acquainted to it in the past weeks.

“We make allowances for the Minister for Economic Affairs.” Adolf replied coolly.

“Don’t they offer you a car?” Heinrich Brandler asked wearily

“Working people take the tram. If it’s good enough for them it’s good enough for me.” Munzenberg muttered, dumping his bundles of paper on the desk in front of his seat.

Adolf was happy enough with that.

Munzenberg wasn’t the only Communist in the United Front cabinet but in his role as finance minister he was the most senior out of them and he was the only one amongst them who was a member of the Zentrale. Hitler was confident of his control over the party’s leading body but he didn’t want too much mingling between the Communist party leadership and the Republic that he couldn’t directly control. Munzenberg however was both competent and loyal, the next best thing to himself being there.

“Well now you’re here we might as well have your report on the affairs of the republic.”

“I’m finding my remit to be increasingly infringed upon by foreign affairs,” Munzenberg sighed, still out of breath due to running from the tram, “we’ve managed to not only get the Austrians to agree to the economic union in principle but they’re now willing to chat specifics to the extent of getting a treaty signed before the end of the Summer, only now we’re having to sound out the other major powers about that and it could be going better.”

“The French.” Adolf growled.

“The French aren’t happy at all, the Japanese are sympathetic however and the British are at least trying to be accommodating. The less said about the Italians the better.”

“Why on earth should we care about fascist opinion?” Ruth Fischer complained.

“They’re on the League of Nations Council and as any economic union with Austria could be seen as a violation of the Versailles Treaty it is best that we submit it for international consideration. They would become aware of it at some point regardless but this way it looks like less of a conspiracy and gets us a fairer hearing.” Munzenberg was defensive, he wasn’t any more comfortable with this than Fischer was.

“But don’t these sorts of Council votes need to be unanimous anyways? So we do need to seek fascist approval.” She noted.

“No-one’s trying to seek fascist approval.” Munzenberg emphasised. “It would be pointless even if their regime could be tolerated or they hadn’t just sponsored a coup within our own country. They want Austria as a buffer, especially now that their bid to install Hohenzollern has failed. It doesn’t matter to them if they burn their bridges with Austria as they have with ourselves. It probably wouldn’t matter if they ostracize themselves in the international community either. So we take advantage of that to get the British and Japanese on-side and then get them to work on the French and the four of us then agree it should be taken to the World Court, where the Americans can also arbitrate in our favour.”

“That still means getting the French on-side first.” Adolf responded.

“Yes and that’s another headache for me. The French can’t say we’ve misled them when it comes to Austria but they’re saying the expropriated Krupp factories are mass producing arms all of a sudden. Because they are.” Munzenberg rubbed his temples at that, as if thinking back to the headaches it had already induced.

“Tell the French they can’t have it both ways,” Brandler stated, “Either they respect the spirit of Versailles and allow the self-determination of the German peoples or they don’t respect it and we re-arm.”

“The only ‘spirit’ of Versaillies was making the German worker suffer for the crimes of imperialists on both sides. Playing that card would make us look ridiculous, both to the French and our own people.” Hitler grunted.

“That still means going to workers we’ve just handed factories to and telling them they can’t produce what they want and sell to whom they want, when the workers from factories which haven’t been expropriated are pissed off at us already.” Levine-Meyer added, she had seen the failures of a compromise strategy firsthand during the Bavarian Soviet.

“It’s not much better with the farms apparently.” She went on. “The Rural People’s movement has been asserting itself again and it looks like they might be growing.”

Adolf couldn’t help but admire Claus Heim’s relentlessness but if he became a problem he would have to be dealt with. Until then there was another way.

“If we’re forced to put up with these reformist concessions we should at least encourage the labourers who’ve already taken over their farms and factories by stating we’ll support them.” Adolf said. “That will still leave some waiting their turn but it will be less of a betrayal.”

“That will spook the liberals in the Reichstag, and many of the Social Democrats.” Brandler pointed out.

“We shouldn’t get used to the former and for the latter, well it would be good to see where they stand on these sorts of things. To see how many could be counted on if we were to face the sort of schism Noske tried to pull before the Presidential election.”

“I appreciate the sentiment but it would be best if you were to express it yourself,” Munzenberg replied to Hitler hesitantly, “there is still an opening for you in the cabinet. You just have to take it.”

Adolf shook his head.

“As before, unless it’s the Chancellery I’m not interested. We’re the largest party in the Reichstag, its leader should be Chancellor or not in the cabinet at all. You will have to get on without me until Zeigner relents.”

Erich Zeigner had been chosen to be the United Front’s candidate for President due to him being a unifying figure but he was now taking on that role far more actively than many had expected, including Adolf.

“Is there any good news?” Brandler now asked.

“Well, good news is only ever temporary in an economy which isn’t properly planned but there are some reasons to be positive. The mark has returned to something resembling stability with all the properties and land we’re remortgaging and the talk of further reparations relief by the Americans has made said remortgaging easier as well. The taxes we’re putting forward are going to bite hard but capital flight should hopefully be limited by the number of bank holidays we’ve introduced. Hamburg should be open to shipping again soon which will hopefully allow us to get exports back to where they were sooner rather than later.”

“I thought the international markets were drying up?”

“The Soviets are picking up a lot of the balance. They’re so relieved we rid ourselves of Schleicher that any unpleasantness that happened between our party and themselves has been forgotten, at least at the trade level. Their economy is still developing and they need the capital and equipment to finance that. We have the equipment and we need their resources, we’re hoping we can convince the Americans to make up the capital. Many of their businesses are collapsing but others are still desperate to get their hands on Soviet trade. Whilst America continues to refuse to deal with the Soviet government, that leaves us as intermediaries.”

Munzenberg seemed satisfied with the convoluted scheme but many around the table winced, Adolf included. Munzenberg seemed to sense the discomfort and went on.

“We are still working on a new economic deal with the Soviets but it should be enough to get the economy growing again and then we throw everything into infrastructure spending and, with luck, in a few years time we can look at a new society and think this depression was merely a bad dream.”

“There’s a lot of factors that could prevent that outcome.” Fischer apparently remained sceptical.

“Yes but we at least now have a government, unlike any other in the world, determined to take action.” Munzenberg added.

Adolf nodded, and started banging his knuckles on the table. Others joined in displaying their assent to the report. It was the best way of avoiding votes. Once Adolf had made up his mind, votes were a waste of time.

Yet, at the same time he couldn’t help but wonder for how long that determination would last with such reformists alongside Munzenberg and other loyal Comrades. He had reunited the KPD under his control but would that matter if he were locked out of power again?

Perhaps it would be good to have some opportunities to see where the SPD’s own “left-oppositionists” stood.

---

The painting is The Soul of the Soulless City by Christopher Nevinson

I mean, we already had one chapter recently state that the elections that just finished were the last they'd ever have...so I think we can say with confidence that democracy has been cancelled "for the good of the worker"

Maybe it's just the last parliamentary election because from now on workers' council will elect the leaders.

Did Ernst Thälmann and the other Stalinists flee to Moscow?
Hitler is still unsure of his position even within the Party. Interesting. He has the militant (Red Front) members without doubt but the political side is more so-so.

So judging by some comments and predictions the United Front might remain when the DAR is created. Like the KPD, SPD, Rural People’s Movement etc will “coexist” but under KPD control. Probably a year or so in power there will be a purge and the United Front might be fully merged with the KPD.

I can’t see Hitler, especially once large tracts of Europe come under German-Soviet control, allowing the existence ofother parties in Germany, even if they are workers’ parties. They’d be forcibully merged or purged I’d feel.

Hitler was confident of his control over the party’s leading body but he didn’t want too much mingling between the Communist party leadership and the Republic that he couldn’t directly control.
Like IOTL - "joined up government" was not really a Hitler thing. He believed in a united people and a divided leadership, that only he could arbitrate between.

Later, Army Group commanders were forbidden from communicating with each other - everything had to go through OKH/OKW, and Hitler himself was the only one in the reich with possession of the full picture, or what he imagined to be so.

Pretty much, although the main saving grace at the moment is that compromises or failures can be blamed on the United Front or the need to do deals with liberals in Reichstag.

Will the DAR have collective farms or will they retain this individual farm system?

German Ideology has a kind of a blurred line between state-run and collective but the current parcellisation isn't going to last much longer than Weimar itself.

I don't think that the collectivization or even the creation of individual farms are going to solve the problem of food self-sufficiency of Germany. More probably when the war will start, the Soviet Union is going to be the major food exporter for the germans.

It's not even really an aim. Having to rely on the Soviets until the revolution reaches the UK isn't ideal but it's viewed as more important to focus the economy towards a rapid military build-up rather than autarky.

Maybe it's just the last parliamentary election because from now on workers' council will elect the leaders.

Yeah, it's the last parliamentary election during the Weimar Republic rather than there not being any elections in the DAR.

Did Ernst Thälmann and the other Stalinists flee to Moscow?

They did although a lot of the members of the KPD (ML) on the ground ended up fighting in the United Front and re-joined the KPD subsequently. Dieter would be an example.

Like IOTL - "joined up government" was not really a Hitler thing. He believed in a united people and a divided leadership, that only he could arbitrate between.

Hitler is more keen on direct control here, his experiences in Bavaria made him wary of too much delegation, but it's still not quite democratic centralism either.

It's not even really an aim. Having to rely on the Soviets until the revolution reaches the UK isn't ideal but it's viewed as more important to focus the economy towards a rapid military build-up rather than autarky.
It's interesting to see how the german economy and industry will work when WW2 will start. While the entire nazi war machine sustained hitself with the plundered resources and workforce from occupied Europe, the DAR can use almost freely the resources and the industrial powerhouse of the Soviet Union, with that they can literally steamroll all of Europe, and i'm not counting the resources coming from future occupied France and maybe Benelux.
Another thing that is fascinating is that ITTL WW2 is basically Stalin's wet dream, this time he can really use the germans to weaken or even destroy the western powers, while the URSS can just sit tight and watch his competitors weaken each other.

Chapter XCV
The capitalist class has banked upon the expansion of both the Oriental and European trades to stimulate industry in this country. The changes that will arise from any failure on their part to capture foreign markets will lead to a crisis, on one hand, or a readjustment of conditions in this country to meet the foreign situation, on the other.

~ Daniel DeLeon, The Foolishness of the Americans

1593946871888.png

Robert Oaks basked in the Virginia sun and tried not to contemplate what the future had in store for him. Though he wished he could sit and relax under a familiar sky for longer he was already in motion, his train carrying him from Norfolk to Washington D.C.

To be back home in his native Virginia should have been a welcome relief but his arrival in his home state was marked with orders to come to the nation’s capital as quickly as possible. Part of him wondered if he was being called over for a debriefing of sorts in the aftermath of the civil war but given he had spent much of that time complaining about being in the dark that seemed unlikely. The only reason he could think of made him dread his impending visit to the State, War, and Navy building. He feared the story of his encounter with General Von Schleicher had made it back to Washington somehow. He had gone to great lengths not to mention the incident to anyone, claiming he had been calm and neutral throughout the meeting, but he now wondered if someone within the Reichstag had spread the story of an American diplomat dressing down the then-current Chancellor? He had remembered how many individuals in the Reichstag had seemed keen to see him, could one of them have been listening in? Could Schleicher, with everything else on his mind, really have decided to make a complaint about him of all people? It was hard to know what might go on in a desperate man’s mind and although Robert was worried about losing his job he at least wasn’t being tried for treason like the former Chancellor.

Germany seemed to be free of his ilk momentarily and stability had asserted itself once more, also momentarily. Robert felt he had been in Germany for enough time to realise nothing stayed the same for very long. He had gone to Berlin when hyperinflation had made the German currency worthless and the country’s most important industrial region was under foreign occupation. It was a worse crisis than even their defeat in the war and he had been sure things couldn’t even have ever gotten worse than that but then, after five years of relative peace and prosperity, economic disaster had struck again, this time followed by civil war. It had ended with democracy seemingly safe and a government more stable than those who preceded it. But he was wary that this might be temporary as well. The United Front talked a good game but so had Schleicher before them and many others previously. Said government was also too left-wing for American interests to be truly at ease.

Robert had been glad to return home even with his career facing an uncertain future, but it was only upon arrival in Norfolk that he realised the extent to which this depression was global. He had of course heard about things being bad at home but Norfolk was a port city and unlike Hamburg it hadn’t recently been the scene of a major battle. He would have presumed the ports would be doing a little better than elsewhere in the country but in some ways it seemed more desperate than the port he had departed from; the people of Hamburg had been busy at work establishing solutions to the damage of the battle to make sure their port could be made usable again as quickly as possible, even whilst longer term reconstruction was being carried out around it. Many of the people had been weary, their faces bearing heavy expressions at the events they had witnessed but there had been a spirit of defiance, even optimism, as he had had quoted to him several times what President Zeigner had said about the production and export targets for the end of the year and what they would mean for the standard of living. It didn't seem to matter whether it was a cab driver, a fellow passenger or even the waiter bringing him his last beer for what might be a while. They were confident and they didn’t seem to care about admitting it.

The mood in Norfolk was jarringly different. Though the city had initially weathered the depression fairly well thanks to its relevance as a strategic port that didn't last. Unemployment was now rising rapidly and the lack of federal welfare provision had left the state budget unable to cope. The result was the same contempt for the federal government that was becoming widespread across the nation. Whilst Robert had been waiting at the train station he had seen a man on a soapbox declaring that President Hoover was doing nothing whilst people starved before he began to speak eagerly about the coming workers revolution that had already succeeded in Germany and Russia. For a moment Robert had wondered if he was still in Germany but no-one else seemed to blink. That site, it seemed, had now became common on American streets too, alongside men waiting for hours outside dockyards to see if they could get a day's work, whilst others waited for soup kitchens to open in streets filled with litter. The trash cans were scraped clean.

Travelling from Norfolk to Washington he could admire the beauty of the Virginian countryside but arriving in the capital it had become clear things were even worse here. The giant white buildings and monuments still provided a certain grandeur to the city but that only provided a greater contrast to the squalor in the streets and the tent cities in the parks. Upon leaving Union Station he had to avoid people begging on the streets whilst waiting for a cab. He had lit a German cigarette whilst in the queue and when he was finally at the front he had had a man in a smart but worn suit ask him if he could have the rest of it.

The cab ride to the State, War, and Navy Building was speedy, it seemed there were less cars on the road than there had been the last time he was in Washington. The cab driver spoke briefly about the state of the city but seemed to be holding his own thoughts back, wary of the fact he was likely to be driving a government employee around who might not give him a tip if he went too far in his criticisms. Robert thought about putting the man at ease by pointing out that if he was so important he wouldn’t have to take a cab but settled on giving the man a dollar and refusing to take any change before stepping out to the elaborate headquarters that made up the offices of his employers.

His journey to the offices of the Secretary of State brought the anxieties of the state of the nation back to his own precarious employment situation. When he had first thought that might be being sent back to be fired he had taken some comfort in the fact that if the worst came to the worse he could always go back to work at Bluefield college but was that really going to be an option when other seemingly respectable men were asking for half-smoked cigarettes on the street? He didn’t exactly have many friends stateside having been in Germany for so long and his small family had few connections outside of the Tidewater community. Would he end up having to go back to Germany to get a job?

The thought made him shudder as he arrived outside the office of the Secretary of State himself, Henry Stimson. Less than two years ago Stimson had been the one to break the news to him that the stock market had crashed he had sounded sorrowful back then and now Robert feared he would see another, angrier side to the man. Instead Stimson greeted him with his more natural cheerfulness that suited his youthful vigour.

“Oaks! It’s a pleasure to see you again!” The Secretary boomed in his deep but somewhat formal voice.

“The pleasure’s all mine Mr Secretary, it’s good to have a chance to come home at last.”
Robert’s reply was somewhat awkward, he still wasn’t sure why he was here.

“Well I wanted to thank you for all your insights into the German situation over these years, both to myself and my predecessors and thought it would be best to do it personally than over that radiophone contraption. I realise the last year was a time for great stress in Germany and it must have felt at times like you and the rest of the Ambassador’s staff were being left in the lurch.”

“Not at all Mr Secretary, our marines were by far the scariest sight I saw throughout the entire business.” Robert’s current bravado belied his experiences of anxiety every time a collection of Blackshirt thugs had marched past the embassy but he didn’t want to put a dampener on the fact that Stimson seemed genuinely happy to see him.

“Well at any rate I thought you might be able to spend some time over here with us in regards to this business of economic union between Austria and Germany. The President is trying to see if there’s a way of getting a final reparations settlement attached to it as well. It would be good to have your insights on that.”

“I did play a minor role in what became the Dawes Plan Mr Secretary so I might be of some assistance there.”

“Well then your advice should be valuable. After that I’m sure you’re ready for some days of vacation then-”

Robert’s eyes lit up at the mention of a proper holiday before the door opened behind him revealing a man of similar age to Robert with dark, curly hair and a tanned face that didn’t seem to match his New York accent.

“Sorry to interrupt sir but your secretary said to just come right in.”

“Not at all Mr Griffin, that’s what I asked her to say, have a seat”

The man took a seat next to Robert and nodded to him.

“Mr Griffin let me introduce you to Professor Robert Oaks, he’s been one of our top men in Berlin for some years now. Professor Oaks this is Benjamin Griffin who has been carrying out some excellent work for the State Department in Shanghai.”

“Call me Ben. I’m sure you have some stories.” Ben said, shaking Robert's hand.

“Likewise!” Robert replied trying to keep a smile on his face.

Shanghai?

“We were hoping to post you over in Nanking for a spell. Things may be somewhat more stable over there than they have been in Germany from what they tell me but perhaps not by a lot. Although to be honest I don’t understand half of it.” Stimson shrugged.

“No-one does Mr Secretary but we do our best .” Ben replied.

“Well at any rate you’ve always had a knack for getting a handle on developing situations and we’re hoping you could do the same for us in Nanking. Mr Griffin is needed in Shanghai but I’m sure he can get you up to date before then.”

“Of course Mr Secretary. I must admit I don’t know much about China myself but then again I didn’t know much about Germany before I went over there either.” Stimson seemed happy with that.

“We do need you here to help with this business around the World Court. The Austrians and Germans are going ahead with their economic union it seems but we need to make sure they’re keeping to the spirit of the court’s decision. All the same, we can hopefully have you over there by September.”

“It’s not a quiet life but it’s a quieter one than Berlin at any rate,” Ben added. He and Stimson began to laugh and Robert, filled with relief, laughed a bit harder than he probably should have.

“I’m sure it is!”

---

The painting is Death on the Ridge Road by Grant Wood

Last edited: