Our Great America: A TL

Yeah. But why/how would the US take them? How would they then administer them?

The U.S would take them because they want to be seen as a strong trade power in the Pacific power, and the treaty with Japan had Japan cede it to them. I do not understand the seconfd part of your question, though.

Chapter Six

Chinese Civil War, European Economic Reforms

A TL

f86be9bf6c0f34473bb487ba1ccc70ea.jpg

A German gold mark, the symbol of power Germany holds in Europe’s economy. Since the Great European War, Germany and Austria-Hungary, along with a few other neutral countries, were the few remaining strong economies in Europe.

“This era is far different than our past…our once proud nation uses the German gold mark instead of the pound sterling…we are in shambles, and wait in unwilling submission to our German masters in the east.” –A British citizen assessing the situation in Britain on August, 1880.

In Europe, with the formerly powerful countries, such as Britain and France, a fragment of themselves, the victors of the war take up the mantle as much of the European economy lay in ruin. The Sino-American Conflict slowed trade in the Pacific, and the colonies of Europe, including Britain’s India and France’s Indochina, were fighting for independence. This, paired with a civil war in China, nearly eliminated the chance of recovering the trade in the East. The newly formed German Empire took the opportunity to take control of Europe’s economy by creating the Richtofen Plan, a plan that stated that Germany would continue business with the European countries affected by the war. Not only would this help the economy, but would help build pro-German opinion in Germany and France. Meanwhile, Germany would draft a European Trade Pact, similar to the Asian Trade Pact, but would only apply to European countries. As for Asia, the only significant and noticeable power still in Asia is America, so in order to try and recover the Asian trade region the Euro-American Economic Plan, the promise of trade between the two regions. With an economic growth spurt, Germany thrived and became a major power, both politically and economically.

China, late 1880: the Chinese mainland is split between two forces, the Nationalists and the Dynasticals. This civil war has been going on since early 1879, the objective to gain control of the government. The Nationalists want to evict the Western powers from its soil. The Dynasticals want to keep the Westerners, as they have been promised power in the Chinese government by the West. But since 1879, they have been locked in a stalemate until December, when Nationalist representative, General Li Zhao, asked for Russian support, knowing that with a largely Nationalist government, the Russians would have Chinese nationalist sympathies and comply. On December 22nd, 1880, Russia joined the war on the side of the Nationalists. Although Russian troops never went to the front line, the support and supplies would eventually tip the war in the Nationalists favor, and cause the Dynasticals to eventually surrender. Shortly after the Russians entered the war, the Dynasticals surrendered on December 30th, 1880. This angered both Europeans and Americans, or now they had to send more resources to China to protect their assets in a pointless conflict. This strengthened ties between the countries of the Asian Trade Pact, especially Germany and America, the only remaining superpowers in Asia. During the Western Eviction campaign in China, Indochinese and Indian nationalists seized the chance of a weakened Europe to start rebellions of their own, hoping to be noticed and supported by Russia to gain independence for their countries. As Britain and France scrambled to secure their colonies, the Nationalist parties at home chastised them for not granting the colonies’ independence and for sending troops there, for they did not want more war. This not only peaks the Nationalist party’s popularity, but peaks the threat of a Nationalist takeover of the government in Britain and France.

“We condemn Russia for using such aggressive tactics in Asia…as if they wanted to pursue another war…in order to halt the threat of a growing problem, we must combine forces as a great, glorious Europe…as the Russians have done nothing to help.” – The French Secretary of Foreign Affairs, in his speech about the Chinese Civil War.

The Nationalist fever is spreading…

Chapter Seven
First World War, American Trans-Continental Railroad and Columbian Statehood, Assassination of Rutherford B. Hayes
A TL

01375r.jpg

Rutherford B. Hayes’s portrait of rememberance, after an assassination attempt took his life. His Vice President William A. Wheeler, who spoke at said funeral, would take office soon after.

“Bring the Stars and Stripes north, to Columbia! Defend the state our President died for! Go to your local recruiting office today!” – A propaganda poster enticing young men to join the army and defend the Canadian/American border.

Ever since the Great European War, tensions between Canada and the U.S. have grown exponentially, the Americans afraid of an attack on Columbia to take back the coal reserves during the Great European War, and the Canadians afraid that America would attack to gain more resources to use in the war in the Pacific. The border between the U.S. and Canada has been the most heavily guarded and most dangerous, and the border clashes had not done anything to help. On January 2nd, 1881, President Rutherford B. Hayes announced to Congress his plans for an extension of the many railroads spanning the West to grow to the North, as well. He stated that “strength is key in defense” and that in order to maintain strength, an easy route to the North must be established, rather than the two day long use of the San Francisco port to ship troops and supplies. The railroad would start in the North at Fort Dwayne, which holds over 1,000 troops, and the other side of the railroad would start at Seattle, Washington. Congress approved this plan on January 4th, 1881, and construction began almost immediately afterwards. Canada, in response, started construction of their own railroad, which would move across all Canadian provinces. Meanwhile, Columbia was admitted as the State of American Columbia. The American citizens of American Columbia rejoiced, and would remember this day as a local holiday, “Statehood Day”. Columbia’s northern sister, Yukon, would have to wait a later date to be admitted as a state, as its importance had not yet been recognized, whereas Columbia was under threat of Canadian attack, and, unless they wanted to start an unforgivable war, would never attack a state. This act, however, caused an unforgettable action. As President Rutherford B. Hayes met with the American troops in an effort to boost morale, a French insurrectionist, Jacques Marquis, jumped out of the crowd with a pistol, proceeding to fire two bullets into the left chest of Hayes, reportedly saying "Vive les Canadiens-français!”. Jacques was shot fatally, but the American people would never forget the President who was a man of the nation. Flaming tensions reached their highest peak after the assassination of President Hayes, and border clashes began again in the winter of February, shortly after William A. Wheeler took presidency.

In the East, China was trying to force the Western powers in Asia to leave, and after Britain and France pulled out due to too many resources being spent their and not in India and Indochina, they had nearly succeeded. The remaining countries, Germany, Austria-Hungary, and the U.S. would complete the Treaty of 1881, stating that if any other county attacked one of the members of the treaty, the others would have to ally with said country. This would set the stage for a later war. But currently, Chinese Nationalists led by Chancellor Mi Zaodong, were attacking the trade ports of all three countries. The Chinese, backed by the Russians, were blowing up ships and building their own navy and army. In order to respond to this aggression, multiple forts were built in the Chinese territories, such as Fort Zuckerburg for Germany, and Fort McAllen for the Americans. These forts would be filled to the brim with troops and cannons, and would be supplied by routes from the ports to the forts. Te Chinese realized that, in order to finalize their plan, they would have to cut off the trade routes. The Chinese troops, led by General Lee Fong, would attack on the cool night of February 14th, 1881. The attack would ultimately be repelled, but would inflict many casualties on the Western troops. The powers saw China as a threat, and on February 20th, 1881, all three powers would declare war on the Chinese Nationalist Union of the People, or CNUP. Russia, fearing that the Triple Powers would take down all they worked for, declared war on the Triple Powers. Although not immediately ready for war, Russia mobilized over 2.3 million troops and sent them through the Chinese border straight for American forts. Yet again, the Triple Powers declared war on Russia. In the U.S., everyone expected a short war like the Sino-American conflict, but the Europeans knew better, and chose their tactics accordingly. For the Germans, a heavy defensive line would be created around the German territory, and Austria-Hungary would stick to a similar plan. However, naïve America decided to meet the Russians head on in Manchuria. It was a grave mistake, for the Chinese and Russian troops overpowered the Americans there, and routed them farther east. They would remain there for now, following their European allies’ plan and digging in a heavy defensive line. Britain, recently regaining control of India, saw their chance to regain control of their Pacific power and joined the war on the Triple Allies side, joining in both the European and Asian front. Even though bitter about German and Austria-Hungarian victory in the Great European War, they had no choice. On the Asian front, they would start shipping troops and supplies to the American ports to join their American counterparts on the defensive line. In Europe, they would meet with Germany and Austria-Hungary to fight off the 3 million Russian troops headed their way, the German border. Italy, hoping for some kind of gaining of land, also joined the war on the now Western Powers’ side. France could only helplessly watch as the fate of the world balanced in the hands of the Germans and Austria-Hungarians while they still struggled to keep control of Indochina.

“Only a super weapon will win this war, Jane…the Russians and Chinese come at us full blast, killing many of my friends with bayonets and cannons…I can only hope this war is over soon…as I sit in my ditch. Love, Donny. ” –A letter found at the battlefield of Manchuria. No survivors were shown to match this name .

A world war crawls upon the face of the Earth…

Last edited:
If there are any suggestions for Chapter Nine, I'm all ears. Otherwise, enjoy this new and surprising update! And always know that your welcome to give any suggestions! :D

The U.S would take them because they want to be seen as a strong trade power in the Pacific power, and the treaty with Japan had Japan cede it to them. I do not understand the seconfd part of your question, though.

Why would the US take populated land (hang on, I need a map of what Japan actually held back then; I’m not sure what the US took, exactly) and how would the natives feel about it? How would the US administer this land? Territory slated for statehood?

...State of American Columbia.

Just... Columbia.

...as its importance had not yet been recognized...

And I seriously doubt there’s enough of anything up there to make it a state yet.

Damn. So I guess I'll have to rewrite this whole thing, huh?

If you want to kick the SBs in the A, yeah. Still, don’t give up on the idea. I love seeing the US take odd land.

If you want to kick the SBs in the A, yeah. Still, don’t give up on the idea. I love seeing the US take odd land.

Oh, I'm not giving up the idea, just revising and editing it to post in a new thread. I'm going to research this period of time better so I can hopefully make a more accurate and realistic TL. I'll be making the new thread soon, hopefully it can back to production next week, more or less. Hope to see you there!