OTL Election maps resources thread

OurCampaigns seems to have complete results for the Alabama legislature as far back as 1974, though the district boundaries only go as far as 1994. Not sure about how well-reported the returns by county are. And, of course, the site navigation is a complete mess, so I'll put in some links:

STATE SENATE
STATE HOUSE

To change the date of perspective, use the thing on the top right (with the date input and "Set" button).

Thank you! I always forget how comprehensive OurCampaigns is because of how ugly and awkward the site is.

Suffolk County results going back to 2007 are finished.

Some observations:

1) Look at those swings! District 1 on the North Fork goes from a Republican lead of 56% to a 46% Democratic one, District 14 on the South Shore goes from a 38% Democratic majority to a 3% Republican in 2011. Both of these, and some of the other big swings, came after the retirement of a long-serving incumbent. In such a low-profile and technical role (and I do mean low-profile - some of these elections had turnouts under 20%) I suppose incumbency and name recognition outweigh partisan tribalism by quite a bit. Note that the sudden retirement of popular incumbents happens frequently here because legislators are term-limited to ten years.

2) There has to be a better way to map fusion elections and the unique situations they create. Almost all of the third-party legislators shown on the map were endorsed by their local Democrats. (The sole exception was District 9's Working Families victory in 2015 - incumbent legislator Monica Martinez lost the Democratic primary but won on the WF line.) Should I have used those unopposed-by-major-party stars? I don't know, it's not entirely accurate because there is a D candidate in all of those races, it's just that they're the same person as the third-party candidate.

3) District 2's Jay Schneiderman switched his registration from GOP to Independence before the 2009 election and was endorsed by the Democratic, Republican, Working Families and Conservative Parties all at once - a regular Kekkonen of the Hamptons and one of a very, very few unopposed third-party candidates in American politics. Thereafter, he caucused with the Democrats and the Republicans ran candidates against him.
3a) Also notable is one of the only intra-third-party defections I've ever seen: the 7th District's Jack Eddington switched from Working Families to Independence in 2008.

4) Fusionism is a bit of a mixed blessing for the third parties. It affords them representation they wouldn't have in any other state, but kind of makes party labels meaningless: all of the Working Families and Independence candidates won on their affiliated major parties' ballot lines, and less observant news sources sometimes refer to them as Democrats.

Thande

Donor
Very good work big_click, I have never found a good way to represent electoral fusion in NY.

In other news, as Aragorn would say, Yé! utúvienyes! I HAVE FOUND THE 1964 (well 1971) WARD BOUNDARIES OF GREATER LONDON. In a library just down the road from where I work, I didn't think anywhere had them outside the National Archives.

Been searching for those for, like, 4 years.

Very good work big_click, I have never found a good way to represent electoral fusion in NY.

In other news, as Aragorn would say, Yé! utúvienyes! I HAVE FOUND THE 1964 (well 1971) WARD BOUNDARIES OF GREATER LONDON. In a library just down the road from where I work, I didn't think anywhere had them outside the National Archives.

Been searching for those for, like, 4 years.
Is there any particular reason a library in Sheffield has those boundaries?

Alright that county legislature was obscure and granular eno

wOTaHBE.png

Brookhaven Town is one of the ten townships of Suffolk County and elects its six-member council on a two-year cycle at the same time as the county legislative elections. The seats don't match up exactly, but you can see that there must be some split-ticketing going on with many of these areas going Democratic on the county level and Republican on the council level. Again, not surprising at such a technical and nonpartisan layer of government, but you can see the solidifying effects of partisanship start to take hold even here.

The solidly Democratic seat in the northwest is centered on Port Jefferson, the closest thing to a real built-up downtown in this very suburbanized area. It contains both the poorest and wealthiest areas of the township - a winning coalition for the Dems.

(Don't worry, I'm not going to do all ten towns, this is just the one my family lives in)

Also, the northwest council seat aside from having Port Jefferson also contains Stony Brook University, one of the largest public universities in the SUNY system and also the largest employer on Long Island, which also plays a role at least imo in making it as Democratic as it is.

The Finnish election map is now up on the DA. Click the image to view the DA page and the full-size map, if for some reason you feel you need to do that after seeing the thumbnail.

Also, the northwest council seat aside from having Port Jefferson also contains Stony Brook University, one of the largest public universities in the SUNY system and also the largest employer on Long Island, which also plays a role at least imo in making it as Democratic as it is.

Duh, forgot about that for some reason.

Where are you from? My family is mostly in Selden; I never actually lived on LI but I spent summers and Christmases there all through my childhood

Thande

Donor
Alright that county legislature was obscure and granular eno

wOTaHBE.png

Brookhaven Town is one of the ten townships of Suffolk County and elects its six-member council on a two-year cycle at the same time as the county legislative elections. The seats don't match up exactly, but you can see that there must be some split-ticketing going on with many of these areas going Democratic on the county level and Republican on the council level. Again, not surprising at such a technical and nonpartisan layer of government, but you can see the solidifying effects of partisanship start to take hold even here.

The solidly Democratic seat in the northwest is centered on Port Jefferson, the closest thing to a real built-up downtown in this very suburbanized area. It contains both the poorest and wealthiest areas of the township - a winning coalition for the Dems.

(Don't worry, I'm not going to do all ten towns, this is just the one my family lives in)
"How many layers of government are you on?"

Nice work. Is there anything analogous to this in NYC? I always found it odd that there didn't seem to be a layer of government below the City Council I could find.

The Finnish election map is now up on the DA. Click the image to view the DA page and the full-size map, if for some reason you feel you need to do that after seeing the thumbnail.

Amazing. Given how there must be some areas of Finland with three men and a reindeer, I'm surprised there were no weird random spots of colour in the north a la "90% Ron Paul write-ins in that one place in northern Maine in 2012".

Mind doing the second place results? I recall seeing a map of them Which was more interesting than Niinitso winning everything.

Mind doing the second place results? I recall seeing a map of them Which was more interesting than Niinitso winning everything.

I'll provide here a map for second place results I shamelessly grabbed from the Helsingin Sanomat page. Of course it is not on the level of @Utgard96's fine work, but it allows us to see the raw data. Notice that (apart from Niinistö) SDP's Haatainen was the one candidate not getting the second spot in even one single municipality.

2nd.jpg

"How many layers of government are you on?"

Nice work. Is there anything analogous to this in NYC? I always found it odd that there didn't seem to be a layer of government below the City Council I could find.

There are borough presidents and borough and community boards, but all of those roles are advisory rather than legislative / executive, and the boards are appointed by the council and by borough presidents rather than elected. They’re kind of like a step between government and neighborhood associations.

Thande

Donor
There are borough presidents and borough and community boards, but all of those roles are advisory rather than legislative / executive, and the boards are appointed by the council and by borough presidents rather than elected. They’re kind of like a step between government and neighborhood associations.
Right. It seems so odd to me that comparatively rural counties would have more elected local government than NYC itself! Considering NY City Council has huge districts, it's almost like trying to run Greater London just based on the GLC (or London Assembly today) with no borough councils.

Right. It seems so odd to me that comparatively rural counties would have more elected local government than NYC itself! Considering NY City Council has huge districts, it's almost like trying to run Greater London just based on the GLC (or London Assembly today) with no borough councils.

Not being a NYC dweller I’m not sure how well it works, but American local government is dizzying in its inconsistency. New York has one layer of government but in Portland we’ve got three - city, county, and the country’s only elected regional planning authority.

Not being a NYC dweller I’m not sure how well it works, but American local government is dizzying in its inconsistency. New York has one layer of government but in Portland we’ve got three - city, county, and the country’s only elected regional planning authority.

Wait, the only one? I thought the US elected everyone down to the local rat-catcher. :eek::winkytongue:

I assume Portland has school boards too, because NYC doesn't except one small corner of the Bronx that's cut off from the remainder of the borough and would force the city to run school buses outside city lines and potentially jeopardise their insurance.

Wait, the only one? I thought the US elected everyone down to the local rat-catcher. :eek::winkytongue:

Oh that’s not consistent either. The townships in Suffolk County elect a Superintendent of Highways, which I’ve never seen on my ballot, but in Multnomah County we elect people to local water and soil conservation boards which I don’t believe they do over there.

A childhood friend of my mother’s was the Dem nominee for Brookhaven Highway Superintendent last year; he got creamed.