OTL Election maps resources thread

So I've started work on a very unusual election-a by county map of the constitutional ratification. Despite the usual website for historical counties being down I managed to get a Google earth app of historical counties and I'm using that as a basemap. Due to this the borders are a bit odd so it will take a while to do it.

EDIT: So far I've finished Georgia, Delaware and the Old North West. I plan on doing the smaller and unanimous states first and then the more complex ones (eg Virginia and North Carolina) last

Last edited:
The 2016 Florida State Senate election was much less overwhelming than expected, with Democratic dreams dashed with increased Republican turn out in Western Miami and Southern Miami due to Marco Rubio's candidacy resulting in keeping 2 Miami area seats (although losing one) and unseating Democrat Dwight Bullard. They also managed to keep a Gainsville area and an Orlando area seat seat narrowly. If they had lost all of these and a Tampa seat, they would have lost the chamber. Ultimately it was 25-15.
View attachment 295972

I've always wondered why that small strip along the east of the panhandle is blue; isn't that part of Florida really rather conservative and Republican?

I've always wondered why that small strip along the east of the panhandle is blue; isn't that part of Florida really rather conservative and Republican?
It's where Florida's bit of the black belt is and Tallahassee which almost balances out the rural areas. Unless you mean Jacksonville.

Thande

Donor
So I've started work on a very unusual election-a by county map of the constitutional ratification. Despite the usual website for historical counties being down I managed to get a Google earth app of historical counties and I'm using that as a basemap. Due to this the borders are a bit odd so it will take a while to do it.

EDIT: So far I've finished Georgia, Delaware and the Old North West. I plan on doing the smaller and unanimous states first and then the more complex ones (eg Virginia and North Carolina) last
Sounds interesting, look forward to seeing it!

If you need any more sources on old US county maps, the David Rumsey Map Collection atlases are pretty good for them.

Thande

Donor
It is worth noting that despite the national result in these polls are universally more favorable to the Democrats than the exit polls done by the news networks. The news network exit polls have Trump doing 7 points better among Non-College Educated Whites, and 14 points better among College Educated Whites (actually winning the group)
In that case perhaps it might make more sense to compare the margins between these demographic groups in the SurveyMonkey polls vs the network ones? So we can see if both agree on how far Clinton was ahead in college educated compared to non college educated, and if it's just their starting points that are different?

PX7e0xe.png

Not actually a map because I still haven't figured this malarkey out properly yet, but a link to one of the 1911 Cisleithanian Reichsrat election - the last one held in the Austrian half of the empire and the second under (reasonably) universal male suffrage. I have the full results here so I may eventually produce a better one (muh majority shading) and a write-up to go with it, but that is some time away and I don't think it's been featured here yet so might as well share the other. Translations will be provided on request, the annotations are a bit glitchy online unfortunately.

Last edited:
Not actually a map because I still haven't figured this malarkey out properly yet, but a link to one of the 1911 Cisleithanian Reichsrat election - the last one held in the Austrian half of the empire and the second under (reasonably) universal male suffrage. I have the full results here so I may eventually produce a better one (muh majority shading) and a write-up to go with it, but that it some time away and I don't think it's been featured here yet so might as well share the other. Translations will be provided on request, the annotations are a bit glitchy online unfortunately.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAA

I've been looking for this

Not actually a map because I still haven't figured this malarkey out properly yet, but a link to one of the 1911 Cisleithanian Reichsrat election - the last one held in the Austrian half of the empire and the second under (reasonably) universal male suffrage. I have the full results here so I may eventually produce a better one (muh majority shading) and a write-up to go with it, but that it some time away and I don't think it's been featured here yet so might as well share the other. Translations will be provided on request, the annotations are a bit glitchy online unfortunately.

It's not working for me I'm afraid.

Thande

Donor
So apart from Cleveland and Detroit the urban areas shifted to the Democrats against the trend?

Yeah that pretty much sums things up.
Philadelphia didn't, which is a surprise. Actually it looks as though in a few cases (e.g. there and Detroit) the suburbs went more Democratic and the urban centre went more Republican (if only slightly), which is the reverse of the trend we've seen in American elections over the past couple of decades.

Philadelphia didn't, which is a surprise. Actually it looks as though in a few cases (e.g. there and Detroit) the suburbs went more Democratic and the urban centre went more Republican (if only slightly), which is the reverse of the trend we've seen in American elections over the past couple of decades.
Makes sense, what with decreased black turnout and College-educated white voters trending Democratic.

Er - a bit of an ask, but are there any editable county maps for New Hampshire or South Carolina or Nevada? (Need it for a stonking wikibox series™)

The main trends here seem to be a) polarization, and b) midsized industrial cities (places like Scranton or Youngstown) abandoning the Democrats.
There also appears to be a trend of the suburban counties surrounding larger cities shifting left more than the core cities, mainly seen with Chicago and Philadelphia.