Other possible Greek monarchs?

Other than Otto I, who could have been King of Greece?
I think maybe Alexander Mavrocoradtos, or Alexander and Demetrius Ypsilantis in the earlier years, and after Otto I maybe Ernest of Leiningen, Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Henri of Orléans, or maybe Alfred of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (although this seems unlikely). What are your thoughts?
Napoleon II.

Wasn't the earl of Derby also considered at one point?

That said, Affie's marriage to a Russian grand duchess was always on the cards. He was offered a choice, Tina of Oldenburg, Maria Alexandrovna, Olga Konstantinovna, and Eugenia Maximilianovna of Leuchtenberg. The only non-Russian bride ever mentioned for him - IIRC - was Elisabeth of Wied (later queen of Romania).

No French, British or Russian princes will be considered (I've scrapped Austrians since someone pointed out that short of a civil war, there's no way that the hyper-Catholic, hyper-Conservative Habsburgs will go to Athens).
Ernst of Coburg was considered, but there was some issue because he had no children (I've read - but been unable to look deeper into it - that he had three bastards, perhaps the GPs would be willing to accept one of them as heir, provided he marry a princess); as had been his uncle, Leopold of Belgium (as a British candidate in 1830). Leopold was first eager to go, but then he found out about the dismal state of the country('s finances) and decided to rather not. Either Coburg refusal shouldn't be too difficult to change.
A Battenberg Greece might also be interesting - this being post-Othon's deposition. No one seemed to have any major objections to Sandro becoming prince of Bulgaria, so why not let the tsarina's brother (Alexander of Hesse) become king of Greece?
A Beauharnais Greece would be interesting, but I fear that the idea of a Beauharnais as king of Greece will be viewed similarly to an Oldenburg being prince of Bulgaria - since in both cases, the other GPs (Austria, France and Britain) would regard the king as being on a Russian leash.
An interesting, if quasi-ASB candidate, is Pedro I of Brasil/IV of Portugal. He's Catholic but unlike the Habsburgs, I think he'd convert without too much of a problem.

Alright then.
Amadeo_king_of_Spain.jpg

King Amadeos I of Greece (1863-1890)
2nd_Duke_of_Aosta.jpg

Emmanouil Philos I of Greece (1890-1931)
Amadeo_Aosta3rd_01.jpg

Amadeos II of Greece (1931-1942)
Prince_Aimone_of_Savoy_-_restored.jpg

Robertos I of Greece (1942-1973)

Amadeos would likely be Hellenized to "Theophilos"

They are too close to the throne of the Austrian Empire. If the goal was to be sure they were not from the dynasties of the great powers of Europe then I would think any members of the Romanovs, Hapsburgs, Hohenzollerns, Saxe-Coburg-Gothas, (British line), or even the Bonaparte's who were in power in France at the time, or the Savoy's in Italy who were at that time recently united, will not be considered. A minor line may be considered, but the Danish Royal family members fit a great compromise as they were an accepted Royal line, and from a nation with little or not influence in the area. Also any member of the Orleanist-Bourbons descended from King Louis Philippe I would most likely be vetoed by Napoleon III.

Not to make too fine a point but Metternich had poisoned the well of Greek goodwill pretty thoroughly back during the Greek revolution and that well was already poisoned to start with since Rigas had been handed over to the Ottomans. It was not coincidence that during the 1859 war there were public masses in Athens for god to grant victory to French and Sardinian arms, nor was it accidental that one of the accusations against Otto was that supposedly he was in Austria's pocket. Even if a Hapsburg wanted to be a candidate, he won't get accepted.

I think maybe Alexander Mavrocoradtos, or Alexander and Demetrius Ypsilantis in the earlier years, and after Otto I maybe Ernest of Leiningen, Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Henri of Orléans, or maybe Alfred of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (although this seems unlikely). What are your thoughts?
Maximilian of Habsburg instead Mexico

Kaze

Banned
Elizabeth II of England. She has a claim on Greece.

Charles Philip Arthur George - Elizabeth's son and Prince of Wales - also has a claim.

Any surviving Byzantine nobility line ?

Deleted member 107125

Any surviving Byzantine nobility line ?
I doubt it. By the way, just an idea- how about partitioning up Greece into several states run by different Phanariote rulers. That way everyone could be happy :noexpression:
I actually hate this idea but if anyone wants native rulers this is (sadly) the only option

An Albanien on the Greek throne would be an interesting thought.

Deleted member 107125

I doubt it.
I was actually wrong here. There are a few claimants who were part of the nobility of the period, including-
The Palailagos family
  • Emperor Andronikos II of the Eastern Roman Empire and Irene of Montferrat
    • Theodore I Palailogos, marquess of Montferrat
      • John II, Marquess of Montferrat
        • Otto III, Marquess of Montferrat
          • John III, Marquess of Montferrat
            • Theodore II, Marquess of Montferrat
              • John Jacob, Marquess of Montferrat
                • Boniface III, Marquess of Montferrat
                  • William IX Palalaigos, Marquess of Montferrat
                    • Boniface IV Palalaigos
                    • John George Palailogos, Marquess of Montferrat
                      • Margaret Palailoga, Marquise of Montferrat
                        • Francesco III Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                        • Gugielmo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                        • Vincenzo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                          • Francesco Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Ferdinando Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Vincenzo II Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                    • Louis Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers
                      • Carlo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                        • Carlo Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers
                          • Carlo II, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Eleonora Gonzaga, Holy Roman Empress
                            • Eleanor, Queen of Poland
                              • Leopold, Duke of Lorraine
                                • Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor
                                  • Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor
                                  • Ferdinand, Duke of Modena
                                    • Francis IV, Duke of Modena
                                      • Francis V, Duke of Modena
                                      • Maria Theresa, Countess of Chambord
                                      • Maria Beatrix, Countess of Montizon
                                      • Archduke Ferdinand Karl Victor
                            • Maria Anna Josepha of Austria
            • John IV, Marquess of Montferrat
          • William VII, Marquess of Montferrat.
Ergo the closest to a male Byzantine pretender at the time we have is Francis V, Duke of Modena

I was actually wrong here. There are a few claimants who were part of the nobility of the period, including-
The Palailagos family
  • Emperor Andronikos II of the Eastern Roman Empire and Irene of Montferrat
    • Theodore I Palailogos, marquess of Montferrat
      • John II, Marquess of Montferrat
        • Otto III, Marquess of Montferrat
          • John III, Marquess of Montferrat
            • Theodore II, Marquess of Montferrat
              • John Jacob, Marquess of Montferrat
                • Boniface III, Marquess of Montferrat
                  • William IX Palalaigos, Marquess of Montferrat
                    • Boniface IV Palalaigos
                    • John George Palailogos, Marquess of Montferrat
                      • Margaret Palailoga, Marquise of Montferrat
                        • Francesco III Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                        • Gugielmo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                        • Vincenzo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua
                          • Francesco Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Ferdinando Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Vincenzo II Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                    • Louis Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers
                      • Carlo Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                        • Carlo Gonzaga, Duke of Nevers
                          • Carlo II, Duke of Mantua and Montferrat
                          • Eleonora Gonzaga, Holy Roman Empress
                            • Eleanor, Queen of Poland
                              • Leopold, Duke of Lorraine
                                • Francis I, Holy Roman Emperor
                                  • Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor
                                  • Ferdinand, Duke of Modena
                                    • Francis IV, Duke of Modena
                                      • Francis V, Duke of Modena
                                      • Maria Theresa, Countess of Chambord
                                      • Maria Beatrix, Countess of Montizon
                                      • Archduke Ferdinand Karl Victor
                            • Maria Anna Josepha of Austria
            • John IV, Marquess of Montferrat
          • William VII, Marquess of Montferrat.
Ergo the closest to a male Byzantine pretender at the time we have is Francis V, Duke of Modena
Why the Duke of Modena? The next brother of Joseph II is not Ferdinand but the HRE Leopold II so the male Byzantine pretender would be the HRE (or the GrandDuke of Tuscany)

Uh, no, she doesn't. Her husband did but AFAIUI, he gave those up to marry Lizzie back in the 1940s.
True, and before Prince Charles was born therefore he too has no rights to the throne of Greece nor do any of his or his siblings descendants. Now the Kents, the Duke of Kent, and Prince Michael of Kent, and Princess Alexandra may have a right to the throne through their mother Princess Marina, assuming their is no salic law in the Greek Monarchy.