Other possible Greek monarchs?

Deleted member 107125

Other than Otto I, who could have been King of Greece?
I think maybe Alexander Mavrocoradtos, or Alexander and Demetrius Ypsilantis in the earlier years, and after Otto I maybe Ernest of Leiningen, Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Henri of Orléans, or maybe Alfred of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (although this seems unlikely). What are your thoughts?

Other than Otto I, who could have been King of Greece?
I think maybe Alexander Mavrocoradtos, or Alexander and Demetrius Ypsilantis in the earlier years, and after Otto I maybe Ernest of Leiningen, Ernest II of Saxe-Coburg Gotha, Henri of Orléans, or maybe Alfred of Saxe-Coburg Gotha (although this seems unlikely). What are your thoughts?

Any non-Orthodox willing to convert or at least raise their children as Greek Orthodox.

wwbgdiaslt

Gone Fishin'
So Alfred of Great Britain gets made King as Alvertos I in 1863, he's 19 and unmarried but a Regency isn't required, which comes as a relief to the Greek Parliament.

He must marry - and whilst he married a Russian princess IOTL, would he do that here? Would the Parliament pressure him to marry a nice Greek woman so that they wouldn't have to just accept whichever European noble would accept conversion to Greek Orthodoxy.

So Alfred of Great Britain gets made King as Alvertos I in 1863, he's 19 and unmarried but a Regency isn't required, which comes as a relief to the Greek Parliament.

He must marry - and whilst he married a Russian princess IOTL, would he do that here? Would the Parliament pressure him to marry a nice Greek woman so that they wouldn't have to just accept whichever European noble would accept conversion to Greek Orthodoxy.
He would still most likely marry the same Russian princess as he need a bride with royal blood and Russia is the most logical country for finding an Orthodox bride.
OTL he married her as second son of the Queen of England and maybe future Duke of Saxe-Coburg while here he is the ruling King of an Orthodox country.

No way. Neither as King or Queen as they would not be acceptable by the European royals
I doubt that. We are talking about European royals who married into the Montenegrin and Serbian royal houses and even before that the Bonaparte and Bernadotte families without blinking.

Someone can correct it but wasn't it the choice of most of the new E. European kingdoms (Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, even Albania with William of Wied) to have monarchs not from the "noble" families of their own countries so there was no rivalry. So no Phanariots at all. Even when Aspasia Manos (who came from noble blood) married Alexander I, their marriage and daughter wasn't accepted by the Powers that Be even though she was the first (and only) Greek royal or spouse of (modern) Greek ancestry and this was in 1919.

I thought Prince Alfred, later Duke of Edinburgh and Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, was one of the ope candidates but Queen Victoria nixed it. Ironically, the future Edward VII, at the time Price of Wales, didn't get to see his younger brother, (Alfred) crowned King of the Hellenes, but he did see his brother-law, Prince William of Denmark crowned King George of the Hellenes instead.

Deleted member 107125

Could Prince Rudolf of Austria become king of Greece? Or maybe get another German Prince on the throne?
Perhaps even a Russian Prince!
And by the way, what about the Karadordevics, weren’t they a successful native monarchy? Much like the Karadordeivcs, Ypsilantis and Mavrocordatos were also revolutionaries- could they become the kings of Greece?

Deleted member 107125

Could Prince Rudolf of Austria become king of Greece? Or maybe get another German Prince on the throne?
And by the way, what about the Karadordevics, weren’t they a successful native monarchy? Much like the Karadordeivcs, Ypsilantis and Mavrocordatos were also revolutionaries- could they become the kings of Greece?
Some people also mentioned Lord Byron becoming Greek King in a world where he doesn’t die.

Obrenovic and Karadordevic succeeded largely on their own. Greek independence/self rule was enforced by the Great Powers.

I doubt that. We are talking about European royals who married into the Montenegrin and Serbian royal houses and even before that the Bonaparte and Bernadotte families without blinking.

Someone can correct it but wasn't it the choice of most of the new E. European kingdoms (Greece, Bulgaria, Romania, even Albania with William of Wied) to have monarchs not from the "noble" families of their own countries so there was no rivalry. So no Phanariots at all. Even when Aspasia Manos (who came from noble blood) married Alexander I, their marriage and daughter wasn't accepted by the Powers that Be even though she was the first (and only) Greek royal or spouse of (modern) Greek ancestry and this was in 1919.

Who married Montenegrin royalties aside from Russians or Serbs? I sincerely ask this as I may not have seen some.

Actually, a Habsburg-Lorraine is more legitimate as they are descendants of Byzantine Emperors.

Not gonna happen. They are like... super Catholic. Greeks are super Orthodox. Either civil war or a coup happens. It won't last a year if it happens anyway.

Legitimacy doesn't matter when it is religious concerns. The Russians and Romanians may also have Roman Dynastic blood. And they're Orthodox. Seems legitimate too me. More than the Habsburgs at least.

Last edited: