Orleans New Orleans

Okay, here are some notes on a
Is there any way that the French Revolution could have happened over a hundred years earlier?

Gaston Jean-Baptiste, duc d'Orléans 1608 – 1660, was the third son of the French king Henry IV. His first son was Louis XIII 1601 - 1643. His second son died at the age of 4. If they both die, Gaston becomes king.

OTL, Gaston had nominal command of an army at one point. He rebelled against Richelieu twice and took refuge in Flanders. The second time he was exiled by Mazarin to Blois in 1652.

In 1642 he stirred up Cinq-Mars to attempt Richelieu's murder, and then deserted his unfortunate accomplice

What if Richelieu had been murdered? What if Richelieu and the king had both been murdered by Cinq-Mars? Maybe after they're both murdered Gaston and Cinq-Mars both flee to the New World.

The city of New Orleans is established early. OTL, New Orleans was founded in 1718.

Here's another possibility. New Orleans was named after this duke:

Philippe II, Duke of Orléans, Philippe Charles (1674 – 1723)
Duke of Orléans 1701–1723, Regent of France 1715 - 1723 for Louis XV.
His regency was the last and he is still referred to as le Régent and his regency as la Régence. He was son of Philip I, Duke of Orléans and nephew of king Louis XIV.

Louis XIV's oldest son Louis, the Grand Dauphin, died in 1711. What if the king dies in 1709, before Louis XV is born, Louis the Dauphin becomes king but dies a year later.

Henry IV's first daughter married Philip IV of Spain and his second daughter married Victor Amadeus I of Savoy, so those two countries might fight over the succession.

So Louis XIV dies early and France plunges into civil war. The Duke of Orleans flees to the New World to create a more stable and prosperous monarchy.

Henry IV's youngest child was Henriette-Marie 1609 - 1669, who married Charles I of England on June 13, 1625, in Canterbury Cathedral. What if all the other children had died? What if Charles I had died much earlier? What kind of political power could she have had in England or in France, or both? Her descendants might claim the throne of France. One of them might have been a duke of Orleans who didn't exist in OTL and emigrates to New Orleans.

RE : Henry IV's first daughter married Philip IV of Spain and his second daughter married Victor Amadeus I of Savoy, so those two countries might fight over the succession.

No. According to the Salic Law, the succession can't be transmitted by the women.
The crown goes to the Condé line of the House of Bourbon, the heirs of the cousin of Henri IV. The "Grand Condé" becomes Louis XV of France.

Another possibility is the Vendôme line, the descendance of the bastard of Henri IV, César de Vendôme who was maybe legitimized by his father, it's not very clear...

If you want a civil war it's Condé vs Vendôme, not Spain vs Savoy vs England or whatsoever...;)

vincent

I may be wrong on this, but wasn't the French revolution heavily influenced by the American revolution? If this is the case, it may be difficult to have a French revolution with the same ideals it had in OTL. Instead it would be one monarchy replacing another.

Thanks, gleizou. :)
But a male who's really determined and influenced by recent philosophers might feel motivated to try to overturn the Salic Law, thus provoking a civil war?

BrianP said:
I may be wrong on this, but wasn't the French revolution heavily influenced by the American revolution? If this is the case, it may be difficult to have a French revolution with the same ideals it had in OTL. Instead it would be one monarchy replacing another.

They could be influenced by the English Civil War. Puritans, Catholics, or both could be influential. And there were plenty of philosophers making waves.
Even if it's just one monarchy replacing another, the idea was to have an Orleanist going to New Orleans...:)

But a male who's really determined and influenced by recent philosophers might feel motivated to try to overturn the Salic Law, thus provoking a civil war?

Well, I don't think it's possible at that time. Or at best, it's doomed to fail..
The Salic Law is the Essence of the French Monarchy since the Hundred Years War and nobody in France is ready to accept a foreign king if a male spawn of the old capetian line is alive, even a bastard...:rolleyes:

vincent