Optimus Princeps - A Trajan TL

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
To be fair, they could always come to a compromise with the army, like making the Emperor head of the army but having it be officially controlled by the Senate. And limiting the powers of the Emperor is honestly a GOOD thing, as in OTL, in the words of EU4: "the autocratic, semi-divine nature of the emperor is so powerful it encourages civil wars." So with limiting the Emperor's powers, it will make the Roman Empire more stable, and if the Emperor and the Senate find a decent compromise in authority in the Empire, then you're golden.

Emperor - head of the army. This is very dangerous. The emperor could, everytime the senate opposes him, send his soldiers to Rome to restore the old order.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
Any ideas for a name of the new order? Liberal principate is a bit to long to write/read each time and very repetitive. And "new republic" is Star Wars-esque.

I wonder if a monolatrist Hellenistic religion (may it be the Imperial Cult, Jove, Sol Invictus, Isis or Mithras) will take center stages as popular religions this time around. A divergence from Christian ascendence I'd say.

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
I wonder if a monolatrist Hellenistic religion (may it be the Imperial Cult, Jove, Sol Invictus, Isis or Mithras) will take center stages as popular religions this time around. A divergence from Christian ascendence I'd say.

I'm currently working on a general overview of the world in 300 AD. So Jesus is already integrated in the pagan pantheon, but influence of the eastern religions may als be very strong. Sol Invictus is a good candidate, as he was Constantine's god before he turned Christian.

But in the underclass, Buddhism may be popular too (you have also these idea of an ultime salvation independent from your wealth).

One does not simply need a Europe and japan

A permanent state of semi cold war between the "Latin" west and "Greek" east would be awesome! Like northern china and southern china on steroids!(why has no-one done a timeline off of this:mad::mad:) but it would require that the east's traditions break off from the west's, which is plausible considering that Mesopotamia+Egypt+Greece and Anatolia is well more than enough to have a center of civilization rivaling roman Italy.

The questions is, Will you do so? It would ironically enough prevent either from collapsing due to the constant need for innovation and the sheer difficulty of conquering one another.

thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

Alcsentre Calanice

Gone Fishin'
One does not simply need a Europe and japan

A permanent state of semi cold war between the "Latin" west and "Greek" east would be awesome! Like northern china and southern china on steroids!(why has no-one done a timeline off of this:mad::mad:) but it would require that the east's traditions break off from the west's, which is plausible considering that Mesopotamia+Egypt+Greece and Anatolia is well more than enough to have a center of civilization rivaling roman Italy.

The questions is, Will you do so? It would ironically enough prevent either from collapsing due to the constant need for innovation and the sheer difficulty of conquering one another.

thanks and good bacon,
Swagmiester

I'm not even sure if I will finish this TL.

I'm not even sure if I will finish this TL.

I feel the same way about my TL. I nearly finished it, but then restarted it to make it look better. Now I struggle to even get a few out as I am too focused on games I bought from the Steam Summer Sale. Sometimes I wonder if I truly want to write timelines. Honestly, probably not, but it is too much fun to write them if I'm in a good mode, screw what people think of it, if I only get one viewer for my TLs then fine, as long as someone appreciates it I will continue it as I know people like it. Not sure if I share any of your reasons for not knowing if this TL will finish, but I wish you luck, and hope you make the right choice, whichever it may be.