Oh my! I seem to have entered an alternate universe . . .

wormyguy

Banned
OOC: Yes, another lame rip-off thread.

Hey everyone - I need your help. I wake up in this very strange place that seems to both be very much like Boston, but not really very much like it at all. I've heard about people who suddenly lose years of memory - could that have happened to me? As far as I know, the current year is 2018 CE.

wormyguy

Banned
I was born in the United States of America in the year 1988. My parents are named George Silvis and Justice Leenan.

Well, I'm 30 where I came from. What year is it here? I worked as an accountant for the Department of State Finance and Credit Reform.

Ah, so you have traveled not only sideways, but also backward. The current year is 2010 here.

Hmm...

Who are the President and Vice President of the United States, and what political party are they?

wormyguy

Banned
Ah, so you have traveled not only sideways, but also backward. The current year is 2010 here.
That's very odd indeed. I wonder if this were some sort of experiment gone wrong - I certainly didn't volunteer to be sent "here!"
Who are the President and Vice President of the United States, and what political party are they?
DeShawn Williams is the current President, and the current General Secretary is Linda Bryant, who is also, by custom, the Vice President. They're both from the American Working Peoples' Alliance, of course.

That's very odd indeed. I wonder if this were some sort of experiment gone wrong - I certainly didn't volunteer to be sent "here!"DeShawn Williams is the current President, and the current General Secretary is Linda Bryant, who is also, by custom, the Vice President. They're both from the American Working Peoples' Alliance, of course.

During the last election, what persons (and their parties) opposed President Williams?

What was the last major national news piece you remember?

wormyguy

Banned
During the last election, what persons (and their parties) opposed President Williams?
Well, he was opposed for nomination in the Central Committee by Ernie Gonzales, who leads the so-called "old guard" of the party. He won that by only 3 votes! He was opposed in the general election by Democrat-Republican Dick Buford, and a few other minor candidates. He got 74% of the vote, though.
What was the last major national news piece you remember?
There was a horrible plane crash at Eugene Debs International Airport in Tijuana. All 147 passengers were killed when it lost power shortly after takeoff.

wormyguy

Banned
What are the approximate borders of the US? Also, can you describe the US government and how it works?
The US includes all of North America north of the Honduran Social Republic, including the Caribbean, as well as the Philippines and several small islands in the Pacific Ocean. The United States is a federal popular social democracy, in which state-based worker's councils nominate deputies to the Central Committee, one of the two houses of Congress, the other being the House of Representatives, which is directly elected by the American public. The Central Committee nominates the President (he is also technically elected by the public, although he always easily defeats whatever counterrevolutionary candidate runs against him). The President has the power to veto laws passed by Congress, provided they don't override his veto with a two-thirds majority, and appoint Supreme Court justices and federal judges. The General Secretary, who is also customarily the Vice President (the leader of the Central Committee, who also casts the deciding vote in the event of an even split) can appoint all other appointed government positions, and oversees them. The offices of President and General Secretary are generally seen as being roughly equal in power, although one has on occasion far outstripped the other in certain administrations. The judicial branch is organized according to a common law basis, overseen by a national Supreme Court, the highest court of justice.
Does the name Adolf Hitler mean anything to you?
Never heard of the man. Is he German?

wormyguy

Banned
Do you get most of your news from the internet, television, radio, newspapers, or passing merchant caravans?
We have television, radio, and newspapers. We eliminated plutocratic capitalist interests like merchants long ago, but if they existed, they would surely drive a motorcar instead! What's the internet? Is it similar to WorldNet?

wormyguy

Banned
Interesting. Do the names Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, and Otto von Bismarck mean anything to you?
Otto von Bismarck was a reactionary Prussian (later German) leader in the late 19th century. Theodore Roosevelt was a reactionary president who served shortly before the revolution. He was executed by a worker's tribunal for his crimes against the people of the nation and Latin America, although newer historians say this may have been a premature decision, citing rather minor reforms enacted under his reign. I don't recall any Franklin Delano Roosevelt, but I recall reading that the aforementioned president had a relation who served in the New York State Senate. Could that be the one?

wormyguy

Banned
What would you say is the most negative aspect of the United States?
Well, there's a great deal of corruption - various politicians embezzling state funds, factory managers lying about meeting their quotas, factory workers lying about meeting their quotas, my colleagues attempting to massage economic data so that all the growth targets are met, party members giving choice positions to their doofus relatives . . . the list goes on. Systemic corruption is estimated to waste over $1400 billion a year.

Last edited:
Well, there's a great deal of corruption - various politicians embezzling state funds, factory managers lying about meeting their quotas, factory workers lying about meeting their quotas, my colleagues attempting to massage economic data so that all the growth targets are met, party members giving choice positions to their doofus relatives . . . the list goes on. Systemic corruption is estimated to waste over $1400 billion a year.

Are any US soldiers deployed to foreign countries?

Is there any police or intelligence service, public or secret, in charge of protecting and promoting the ideology of the government?

Also, do you have any questions about this universe?