Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

July 1905: The First Shots
brunei_mask.jpg

Bandar Brunei, Brunei Sultanate (Italian Borneo), late July 1905

It was barely past lunchtime, and the world had gone mad.

At least, down here we are, mused Emilio Chiovenda [1] as he watched the unfolding maelstrom. The Residency Hall in Bandar Brunei was primarily a place for social events between the staff and the travelling cognoscenti, and the rattan furniture has played rest to a myriad of local and foreign bodies. Now, chaos ruled. Aides were rushing back and forth with important papers clutched in fists while the Resident himself seemed like a possessed man, barking orders while simultaneously hauling precious belongings to and from the office.

“–Cazzo! Get a cable to Sandakan and tell them of an attack by the Tuesday! We’re already expecting one here by nightfall – Oh there you are, Emilio! What took you so long?!”

Because I want no part in whatever you’re planning? “My apologies. I was hampered by the commotion outside.” Given how the city is reacting to the war declaration from Sarawak, it was a good defence. Even from the compound, he could hear the hollering from the water-villages outside.

“Alright, come here.” The Resident reached out and yanked his hand, pulling him straight into the office with surprising force. The place seemed to have been bit by a bomb, but Emilio found himself spun bout and shoved into a chair before he could place more details. “I need you to come about and join an expedition up into the mountains.”

Wait. “What?”

“I have word that some of these head-hunters up the Baram and Limbang highlands are frustrated with Sarawak, that the White Rajah is messing up their communities or how they lived or whatever. I want to get some men up there and help plan an insurrection to kick his arse. You’re the only one who knows the mountains, and you aren’t too bad at hiking yourself. What do you say?”

For a moment, Emilio said no word. Then, the implications become clear. “Forgive me, but I’m a botanist, not a rabble-rouser. If you want someone to guide up the rivers, there are plenty of Bruneians that can help you.”

“But I want someone that I can trust up there! And you are the only person I can see lying to those savages!”

Yes, but I’d rather throw myself to the crocodiles than spend a night with your sanctimonious arse and plans, which is why I haven’t answered your requests for the past week. “I’m a botanist,” he repeated, “not a guide or captain. I know more about orchids than how to deal with tribal wars. Now if you excuse me, there is a ship I need to catch and I wish to declare my-”

“Stop right there! Refusing demands from an official during an emergency is treason!!”

But Emilio found himself focusing on one of the papers that was strewn about on the desk. Though the writing was small, he could read out the heading well enough: Note of Concession to the Borneo-Caligari Petroleum Company.

Good luck getting that now. “I think I have had enough of stooping to higher authorities,” he responded, rising from his chair. The botanist glowered, hoping his posture would intimidate the other man. “And if you try to manhandle me again, I’ll try and make sure you won’t leave this office by the time they arrive.”

And with that, Emilio backed away from the room, his eyes fixed on the Resident’s snarling face.

Borneo, The Danum Valley 9 748.jpg

At the mouth of the Seria River, 70 kilometres away, three nights later

The fort overlooked the mouth of the watercourse, and that was its fatal mistake.

Clayton Brooke motioned to his men, laying low in their Prahus as they slowly snaked down the murky Seria. The night was clear, and the force stayed within the shadows to avoid detection. Alongside, the coastal forest seemed to envelop the silent party, the cries of insects and animals muffling their oars and silencing any creaks.

Along the way, the Brooke twin planned. Attacking the Italians from many sides was a good plan, and his father wanted to bring the big gunships along to ensure total victory. But the oil fields needed to be unharmed, and as the British naval commander at Miri noted, “Collateral damage is too great a danger to ignore”. At least they agreed with our multi-pronged approach.

As they silently made their way downriver, Clayton briefly wandered his mind elsewhere, to the forts he quartered back in Krian, and the crocodiles that gaped under the hot sun, of the men he found himself secretly comfortable with on the moonlit nights [2]. Then a memory flitted, and he saw himself back in the lounge of the family yacht and the shouts that rang from them, “…the last thing I want to hear are my sons squabbling while under fire!”

Sorry Mother, but some things are too much to be–

Tuan, we are close now.” His aide shook his shoulder.

Clayton shook himself and glanced upwards as la Fortezza Seria came into view. Immediately, the Rajah Muda saw more guards stationed on the wooden palisade than expected, and even more patrolling the grounds. From what he could see of the river mouth, the coast was ringed with a fleet of ironclads, forming a floating wall around the estuary.

They know this place is precious. In an effort to throw off the Italians, his father had signed the war declaration while they were already halfway to Brunei. The larger contingent of soldiers here answered whether that helped in catching them and the oil wells off-guard.

Still, with his dark-adapted eyes, Clayton could see many blind spots in the Italian defence, as noted by his informants; almost all the cannons were pointed to sea, the front palisade was too open for any defensive cover, the outer wall seemed to be made not of ironwood, and there looked to be few torches or any far-lighting equipment. They really do not expect an attack from upriver. Then again, given the ocean-fronting course of the Seria, and the lack of any troublesome tribes around, perhaps they never thought such an attack merited discussion, or the possibility that an enemy might land beyond their eyesight, decamp, trek through the coastal forest, and attack from behind.

Closer… a little closer… NOW.S’karang, api maxim!”

The air burst with the sound of a thousand bullets as the leading Prahus let loose their jerry-rigged Maxim rounds while Clayton and his Dayak force split-off and head for the riverbank. Already he could see many ground troops falling, but the ones by and up the wall are now shooting back. The shots strayed far, not least because he and his men hugged the shadows. Another order was sounded to the sub-leaders, and the fleet of remaining longboats let loose their Enfield rifles, silencing the Italians up the palisade.

Then, the night echoed with the sound of deep booms, originating southwest. Abang. The British-Sarawakian sea fleet had been waiting for the right moment, and the shouts and commotion must have alerted the leading sentries of the attack. Thank God for sharp ears and pocket watches. A larger boom rent the tropical air, and one of the floating hulks in the estuary blossomed into flame, tearing itself apart. Twelve seconds after, and another ironclad went the same way.

The fort was now in chaos as soldiers ran two and fro for their comrades and weapons. Holding up their war shields back-covered in metal strips for the bullets, the Rajah Muda and his men headed for the trees. From the numbers alone, victory was at hand, yet a sizable ground contingent was already rushing towards their landing spot. Clayton looked at his side, and saw his Dayak brothers waiting for his command. Their rifles and parangs glimmered in the discordant light.

He looked ahead, and shouted, “For Sarawak and the Rajah!”

fan.jpg

Penyengat Inderasakti, Riau-Lingga Sultanate (Dutch East Indies), 11 July 1905

Several weeks earlier

“Thinking of something, Your Excellency?”

Pengiran Muda Tengah turned around. The man standing before him looked near indistinguishable in body to the Europeans bustling about in nearby Singapore. Only the red fez and lilt of his tongue reminded the prince that the figure is more than what he seemed.

“A few things, actually.” Muda Tengah responded, turning back to the windows. His quarters on the island were relatively comfortable, but the rains have left the air splendidly cool and free of the usual afternoon mosquitoes. It would be a waste to not enjoy it.

After all that happened today, I need the air anyways.

“Mind a companion?” The figure started, and the Bruneian prince shifted to allow room for Veli Aziz, the Turkish Consul to the archipelagic kingdom. The two men looked to the shower beyond, voiceless.

“I was thinking about home,” The prince said, after some time. “And how everything shall change there.”

“You are not the only one.” The Consul replied. “How are your brothers over there personally taking it?”

“Well, you already know half of it,” Muda Tengah said, recalling the grand meeting between his delegation, the Consul’s, and the Inderasakti royals that morning. “But they are also relieved, in a sense. Father wanted for an excuse to kick the Italians out from the city, and the war has given us the perfect chance.”

“Well, at least your side are partly relieved.” Aziz snorted. “From what I hear, my home has gone a bit insane from the declarations. Now there are rumours that the sultan shall give us notices to see if anyone down here would volunteer for the African fronts.”

“Surely it can’t be that bad.”

“Oh, not yet. This war will not be confined to just us and here. The French shall march across Africa to attain Egypt. Greece and Italy will do try and rule the seas of all Eropah. Russia will definitely try and reach us through the mountains at our north. We are surrounded on almost all sides, Tuanku, and we need all the help we can get.”

Muda Tengah was surprised. I hadn’t thought of it that way. He had come here to bargain for a new protector for Brunei, and how he’s realizing how much their preferred allies are constrained. “Is there anything you need from us? I can send word back for a few supplies.”

“No, it is alright. But this is why we are hesitant about unleashing our forces into Borneo. We are not even sure we could leave Aceh since the recent mobilizations. Don’t tell anyone else of this, but the government there is considering jihad against our enemies, and who knows what will happen after then.”

The prince was stunned. Aceh declaring jihad would not only bottle the Ottoman fleet there to protect the state, but also leave his home without a saviour that could combat the Italian navy. Or worse…

“God willing, let’s hope it won’t be that.”

Aziz stared back at the downpour.

“God willing.”

Footnotes:

1.) Emilio Chivoenda is a real-life figure. His ATL counterpart would be his OTL brother.

2.) Remember post #1153? ;)

Last edited:
So, the Italians don't really have a good idea on what stratagems work well in the jungles and riverlands of Borneo. The Brookes, on the other hand, have extensive experience and plenty of mostly loyal Dayak tribesmen. The nearest source of resupply for the Italians would be their still-cobelligerents in French Indochina, who might have extensive problems of their own.

Sounds like Italian Sabah and (maybe) Brunei are pretty, pretty fucked (unless the Dutch join the glorious Franco-Italian-Russian alliance).

Sounds like Italian Sabah and (maybe) Brunei are pretty, pretty fucked (unless the Dutch join the glorious Franco-Italian-Russian alliance).
In which case, they are most likely still pretty fucked... only after a longer time and more human and material casualties.:neutral:

On the situation of the British navy, it risks being spread very thin as it has at the same time to protect its trade shipping lanes across the Atlantic Ocean, keep safe the Home Islands, keep open Gibraltar and Sicily Straits, the Aegean Sea and help the Ottoman navy in the Black Sea, fight off Italians in East Indies and French in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific Ocean. I don't know what's the worth of Austria-Hungary and Ottoman navies, but in being so overstretched, the Royal Navy risk being defeated in detail, unless they get another big naval power on their side.

I confess, I know less about the Royal Navy during this era than I should, so the issue regarding Britain’s naval capabilities over such the oceans during war is a bit confusing a topic to follow. But given what you’ve said, maybe the Navy would be forced to cooperate (or harangue) with her fellow allied fleets as a modus operandi to enforce their objectives, given they have so many commitments in so many places.

In Southeast Asia, this is more than manageable. Sarawak and Britain’s naval team-ups are a thing both IOTL and ITTL, and I can see Ottoman and Acehnese fleets teaming up to defend the Malacca Straits. Poor Austria-Hungary though, their inexperience and relatively small numbers would relegate them to junior partners in almost all naval brawls XD . The same could happen for the Med and other fronts, though the affairs there would be much more directed by the Admiralty, by virtue of strategic importance alone.

So, the Italians don't really have a good idea on what stratagems work well in the jungles and riverlands of Borneo. The Brookes, on the other hand, have extensive experience and plenty of mostly loyal Dayak tribesmen. The nearest source of resupply for the Italians would be their still-cobelligerents in French Indochina, who might have extensive problems of their own.

Italy has learned a few tricks from their colonization of Sabah and Papua. The thing is, the defenders of Seria made the same mistake that struck the British in Singapore during WWII: that an attack would come from the sea. "After all, why would a band of forest natives care for petroleum, anyway?" To caulk their boats, maybe? While that did happen, their close neighbour has decades of experience in river warfare and jungle tactics, and so planned themselves accordingly. The Italians also made the error of thinking the Sarawakian Dayaks would use cleavers or blowpipes, not rifles and machine guns (though to be fair, Dayaks with machine guns is a concept that would astound everyone back in Sabah at the time).

I don't want to make this war an Italy-bash though, and as later updates do show, the Regia Marina, for all its faults, is a lot better in handling oceanic battles than the Sarawakian navy. As for French Indochina, oh boy do they have their own issues.

In which case, they are most likely still pretty fucked... only after a longer time and more human and material casualties.:neutral:

Oh, the Dutch are feeling a lot of heat from all the fighting. Just about every major alliance is courting them to attack the other, not least because most of the major warring Powers have important colonial holdings in SE-Asia. For the moment, they are staying entirely neutral, though that’s not stopping the continuous prods from Britain, France, and Italy to pick a side. Offerings of colonial holdings in other places are being considered.

Italy has learned a few tricks from their colonization of Sabah and Papua. The thing is, the defenders of Seria made the same mistake that struck the British in Singapore during WWII: that an attack would come from the sea. "After all, why would a band of forest natives care for petroleum, anyway?" To caulk their boats, maybe? While that did happen, their close neighbour has decades of experience in river warfare and jungle tactics, and so planned themselves accordingly. The Italians also made the error of thinking the Sarawakian Dayaks would use cleavers or blowpipes, not rifles and machine guns (though to be fair, Dayaks with machine guns is a concept that would astound everyone back in Sabah at the time).

I don't want to make this war an Italy-bash though, and as later updates do show, the Regia Marina, for all its faults, is a lot better in handling oceanic battles than the Sarawakian navy. As for French Indochina, oh boy do they have their own issues.

Regarding Italy, it's better take in consideration that the ITTL plan for colonial defense in a general war will be very very similar to OTL, basically it will be expected to lose them (except probably the zone in Tunisia due to their strategic role and proximity with the mainland) and gain back to the negotiation table.
For the italian goverment, army staff and people the only front that will really count will be the one against A-H and for second against the Ottoman (but with a lot lot less animosity, more in a 'just business' sense)

Regarding Italy, it's better take in consideration that the ITTL plan for colonial defense in a general war will be very very similar to OTL, basically it will be expected to lose them (except probably the zone in Tunisia due to their strategic role and proximity with the mainland) and gain back to the negotiation table.

Tunisia notwithstanding, the main issue here is that both Sabah and Brunei (and Papua) have been folded into the geopolitical web of the region - with Sabah housing both valuable wild rubber and the Bornean wing of the Regia Marina, and Brunei having hefty investments poured into it to extract the petroleum deposits - though in the latter case, the investments were made relatively recently and thus have limited ground impact, for the moment. Papua has the weight of thousands of settlers to deal with, whom would very much like to subscribe some protection from Rome.

While a retreat from Brunei may be acceptable - it's still a protectorate, beneath all the wheeling and dealing - a quick and unhindered retreat from Sabah would be met with protests from many politicians, and any notion of withdrawal from Papua with outrage. And in any case, the settlers in both Sabah and Papua would try their best to resist, damn what their government says.

Anywho, it seems life has taken a new turn for me; I'll be going on a trip to Morocco with a few close relations from next Monday till the 23rd. I'll might pop in from time to time, but for all intents and purposes this timeline is going to stay dormant till then. Maybe I'll get some more ideas on dealing with Africa from there.

Till then, stay curious. :)

I just read that wiki page on the Naval Defense Act of 1889 enacted by the British to expand their navy in order to keep the lead, and it transpires that the combined French-Russian navies were a serious (perhaps even) match for the Royal Navy in terms of volume. That's just to give an idea of the balance of the naval power, but you'll also have to add Italian navy into the fray (I'm not very sure of what's worth the Greek navy so far), and also the Ottomans.

I just read that wiki page on the Naval Defense Act of 1889 enacted by the British to expand their navy in order to keep the lead, and it transpires that the combined French-Russian navies were a serious (perhaps even) match for the Royal Navy in terms of volume. That's just to give an idea of the balance of the naval power, but you'll also have to add Italian navy into the fray (I'm not very sure of what's worth the Greek navy so far), and also the Ottomans.

That's interesting! I've been reading up on the Royal Navy in the early 20th century, and it seems there was one Sealord whom saw the need for a modern navy important enough to scrap all the old vessels and replace them with more powerful ships over many objections, so a sense of reform was already swirling in the Admiralty IOTL. Heck, the reforms might even take place ITTL and be more radical as a result of all the heightened intrigue across the seas beforehand.

So the Royal Navy now is equivalent in volume to France and Russia, but the latter two also have the Italian Navy, which is comparatively large and more powerful ITTL from securing their far-flung colonial empire. I'll spitball and say that the Regia Marina has the equivalent volume of the Dutch East Indies or slightly more.

Countering this would be the Ottoman Navy, which would either be on fourth or fifth place for volume, and a step behind in terms of firepower. I could say the balance swings to the Franco-Roman-Russian forces, but then there's the Greek and Acehnese forces to consider too. Britain and her allies might be in for a rough few years.

There's a sizable qualitative difference when comparing the officers of the RN (or almost anyone, really) to the commanders of the tsar's fleets. The French would be the most dangerous threat not only in terms of numbers but qualitatively. They have a long tradition and have often been the driving force of naval innovation in their attempts to gain parity with Britain. I would not be surprised if the average French warship is better suited to modern naval warfare than the average British ship. I don't really know much about the Italian navy, but I would guess them to be mostly competent, but nothing too special and probably weighed down by some underpowered and outdated vessels mixed in with brand new top-of-the-line warships.

That said, Britain will probably want to promise Japan Guangzhouwan and possibly bits of French Indochina in exchange for naval aid.

It occurs to me that the Ottomans, Austria-Hungary and Britain are all imperial powers of some stripe. The same holds true of the friendly neutrals they would really want to pull to their side. Might they be called as the 'League of N Emperors' or somesuch?

Last edited:
The problem was that the French naval school of thought, the Jeune Ecole, that was dominating through the 1880s was putting emphasis on a fleet geared towards commerce raiding and harassing heavier units of the Royal Navy. That was in this context that were developped torpedoe boats and submarines which France would have in larger quantity than the British. That school of thought was favored by the left, republican parties as a way of cheap, "popular" naval construction that avoided filling pockets of industry barons (who would benefit otherwise from a high demand for steel).
However, the lack of heavy units to confront the Royal Navy was felt and beginning in the 1890s, the French navy would put heavy units under construction to catch up in that category.

Now, in this TL context, I can't be sure if France has filled the gap for the volume of heavy units, all proportions kept, but it would have an undeniable superiority in matter of light and speedy units, ideal for commerce raiding and blockade of the British Islands, a strategy that was IOTL in the boxes of the French admirality who wished to starve the British into submission under such a scenario.

EDIT : And to the contrary of the Germans IOTL, the French have much more bases, not only in mainland France, but across its colonial empire, to enact this strategy.
Imagine how many islands in French Polynesia can the French ships hide in and resupply to raid British shipping near Australia or Cape Horn, not to mention the Indian ocean.
In that regard, do the French have occupied Madagascar? I'm not sure having read it or not.

Lastly, not all Dayak tribes are so amicable to Kuching, with the Kayan being the most obvious; there is a small chance for a tribe or two to raise a rebellion in the interior while everyone is busy.

That's gonna be a bitch to fix. Apo Kayan is at the south of the border.

If Charles lucked out in his diplomacy, he'll gain these people as his commanders:
  1. Balang "Balai Nyabong" and his brother Enjop. These two men was the BEST commanders Brookes had until Balang was executed due to lies.
  2. Penghulu Dalam Munan "Buah Raya"
  3. Koh Anak Jubang OBE
  4. Bantin "Ijau Lelayang" Anak Dampa
  5. Penghulu Ngumbang "Berauh Langit"
  6. Lintong "Mua Ari"
  7. Kana, of Engkari
  8. Kedu "Lang Ngindang"
And a lot more. From number 4 to 8, these people rebelled due to VERY COMPLEX REASONS.
  • Those people once clashed with Brooke forces led by Munan(from number 2) at Wong Adai, near Tatau, Bintulu. They survived the battle.
  • Then some of their men were poisoned by a Kayan Chieftain from Kalimantan.
  • The Dutch only imposed fine about 60 dollars, 1890s dollar.
  • Kalimantan Iban's rule is "an eye for an eye". They did it.
  • Brookes went up and fine them - One sack of rice(sepikul=about 50kg) per longhouse. All but six paid the fine.
  • Those six refused launched a rebellion.
If Brooke could fix those, he'll get them, free of charge.

Bad move. The Dutch had nothing to gain and everything to lose by doing that.

“I have word that some of these head-hunters up the Baram and Limbang highlands are frustrated with Sarawak, that the White Rajah is messing up their communities or how they lived or whatever. I want to get some men up there and help plan an insurrection to kick his arse. You’re the only one who knows the mountains, and you aren’t too bad at hiking yourself. What do you say?”

He was lied to, isn't it? Because there's no record of such activities there OTL.

Last edited:
That meant ploughing through Darfur, Ouaddai, Dervish Sudan, and Ethiopia, and an expeditionary force was hastily assembled to race towards El-Obeid before anyone else did

My lord, how was that supposed to work? This makes the Fashoda Incident look like a brilliant French gambit.

The fort overlooked the mouth of the watercourse, and that was its fatal mistake.

I fear this strikes me as making the fort into a person, like a careless guard who has chosen a poor spot to stand watch. :biggrin:

My, this is going to be messy. One saving grace for Austria-Hungary is that if reforms which took place by 1914 OTL have not occurred, neither has Russia undergone a shock like the Russo-Japanese war, which means _they_ haven't spent much of the last decade attempting to carry out reforms of their own.

Hope you have a good time in Morocco!

Mini-update: light-foots in Russian Phuket
Phuket night.jpg

Somewhere in Russian Phuket, mid-July 1905

It was dusk when Akid’s sampan reached the shore.

As soon as it struck the sand, the fisherman and transporter sprang into action. With a swiftness unhindered by age, he threw the anchor overboard and jumped off the prow, making sure that the craft remained stable on the breaking surf. Then, he waded through the waves and began helping the other boats as they all assembled on the hidden cove. Behind him, voices sounded out against the growing darkness as his passengers began to disembark, the wet sand and stones muffing their footfalls made heavy from the rice and ammunition on their backs.

Up above, the last of the sun’s rays shimmered across the wispy clouds, the expanse beyond studded with stars. The heavens were picturesque, and the man thought it a shame that such beauty would form the backdrop for the inevitable fight that shall commence later tonight.

“We need help!”

Akid turned around. A group of men were hauling a small and improvised-looking artillery piece from a boat, and from the looks of it, the weapon’s long mouth was making it awkward to handle. In a flash, the fisherman was among the group, angling the Ottoman piece of war onto the sand before carrying it into the jungle beyond.

“Is there anything else on the boats?” One man beside him asked.

“No. This is the last one.” Another answered.

Akid looked at the group. Perhaps it was the foolishness, but he was silently thankful the rising night was hindering a good look of their faces. He shook the group leader’s hand. “Well then, you all know what to do now. Be swift. Peace be unto you.”

“And unto you peace.” The leader replied, motioning to the men to haul the weapon inland.

Akid raced back to his sampan, but he couldn’t stop his mind from wandering. Some of the people whom joined the expedition were veterans of war, but many of them were youngsters, brought up on the tales of jihad that their parents and grandparents endured fighting the Dutch. He himself did little in way of war during the time of horrors across Aceh, but he remembered praying to God, on the night the Turkish fleet arrived, that nothing as such should ever be seen on this earth again. At least not in his lifetime.

Out of one cauldron, and now into another. Please God. Please let them live.

The surf was under his feet, and his fisherman’s instructs returned. Time was of the essence and the fleet had to leave immediately, lest it be spotted by the Russian patrol boats circling the island.

Author's note: I'm a bit behind on the first war update, so here's a mini-update as an apology. Sorry!

Interesting. I wonder how much pull the Ottomans will have with islamic peoples in other people's empires. Will 'Pakistani' muslims be more willing to fight in a colonial war for Britain if they are fighting alongside the Grand Turk?