Of Rajahs and Hornbills: A timeline of Brooke Sarawak

Take in consideration even French Indochina in the equation, sure the final result is not in discussion but between the French and Italian military presence it will be not the enormously one sided battle of OTL against the Germans.
True, but there’s the other parts of the East Indies to consider ITTL. Who says Sarawak and Malaya can’t join in the fight, let alone Australia and the Dutch East Indies? :) On the other hand, if Siam leans towards the French in the years before the War, then the final outcome is really up in the air.

As for Germany, hmm… I really need to think about this. A German Empire will eventually begin flexing itself on world affairs, but I wonder if there could be a momentum for the reactionaries to turn to conservatives. But doing that would mean having to delve deep into German history and minutiae to find the POD’s, and I don’t think I can do that, at least not to countries outside SE-Asia.

But then again, I’m taking more attention to Austria-Hungary as of late, and so far I’ve uncovered some interesting people who might influence the Empire to a greater extent than OTL. Who knows? I’ll definitely keep this in mind.

As for Japan and China, I really need to brush up my history on them; things should’ve gone differently than OTL over there by now, and events up over there would most certainly have an effect on this TL’s world. I have some ideas on how both countries will develop, but for now I’m focusing on Sarawak and Johor, since that’s where the bulk of the 1870’s will take place.

And thanks for wishing me luck! :D

Can you have Spain "protecting" Brunei, to protect its flank from foreign interference of Sulu? I really want a Spanish Borneo to come to pass.

They are like mortal enemies since 1500s. Spain has no reason to go down south. There must be a reason for Spain to go conquering south and dedicate resources for conquest. If oil was discovered in Borneo earlier than OTL and Spain industrializes as early as France or Britain, that is your reason. But if Spain looks like OTL Spain, no reason for Spain to go down south.

Even Sulu in OTL wasnt conquered even though the Spanish had the capability to do so by late 1800s.

Namayan’s right. Spain and Brunei have been enemies for centuries, and the memory of all that enmity has embedded itself deep in the Bruneian court. Given the chance, the Bruneian Sultan would rather pick the wimpiest colonial Power for protection if the only other choice was to pick Spain; it's near-suicide if he did.

However, the resource drive in Borneo and Sulu might go a bit differently than how it was OTL. Right now, there are already more colonial powers criss-crossing the East Indies than there were ten years ago, and not all of them are there for trading with China alone. However, this also means the rivalry between the colonial powers is greater ITTL, and as such the East Indies might end up being on the chopping-block again in the near future; 1871-style. Well, either that or conflict. ;)

So Charles is establishing a Saudi-style monarchy, absolute but accessible to all petitioners? Given the poor infrastructure in Sarawak at the time, that doesn't seem too bad. On the other hand, it won't modernize well - if the Brookes try to keep up that style of governing into the mid-20th century, they'll have a fight on their hands.

Charles autocracy came a bit of s surprise. The Three meeting for the council in particular. That and his reduction of European presence may cause the British to regard him as, unBritish.

Still in this time period he nay have the right idea. The rapid expansion and the swiftly unstable colonial situation could benefit from the rapid response.

Interesting development in Sarawak. Brooke is concentrating power and doing reforms to ensure that the population feels respected by the state (making everyone equal before the law), but some day, reforms will have to be made to ensure that there won't unrest.

Hey, so long as it works there's no need to complain, right? :p The development of Sarawak’s infrastructure is perhaps the most amazing thing to have happened, both IOTL and ITTL. This was a land wherein all it’s mineral wealth is monopolized, where more than half of its peoples are pre-state, and where Corvée labour was literally “sentenced to true criminals and true criminals alone”. And yet, whatever things that worked, did so surprisingly well. It might not seem much, but the changes brought by Charles would turn Sarawak into a whole different state by the 1890’s.

As for Charles Brooke, yeah he wouldn't rank high on the "democratic" scale for national leaders if one existed in the 1870's. He wouldn't see it that way if you asked him, though. In his eyes, Sarawak was a wild state that needed protection from both itself and from others if it is to grow, and what better protection than the man who rules it all at the top? The BIG saving grace for him is that he was sensible enough to realize local affairs as being better run by the locals, and his acceptance of Malays into the Sarawak Service in large numbers shows that he didn't give a damn about ethnicity (to a point) so long as you do your job, and you do it well.

Also, points to Herr Frage for seeing the kingdom getting very much 'un-British' now. or the moment, London is just happy to see no more pirates in the South China Sea, though they will notice their Bornean friend is getting more 'native' soon enough. There will be voices asking what's going on down there, and Charles Brooke might need to butt heads with the outside world when that happens. However, by that time Sarawak would have grown enough to notice the other resources it has, and they just might be valuable enough for London to see somewhat eye-to-eye with Kuching.

The government system of the 1870’s might seem to be set in stone, but there’s still some twenty years until the 1900’s roll around, and a lot can happen in just thirty years.

So he is still leading war bands even as Rajah? That must earn him and the Brooke's clan a very martial romantic feel abroad and respect at home.

The expansion of the indigenous role makes Sarawak more legitimate in native eyes I expect.

Oh, this is will be a huge thing for Sarawak’s reputation abroad. The coast and the lowlands might be cleared of head-hunters, but there are still scores of them up in the headwaters and the mountainous interior. For as long as they can travel downriver and do what they do, so there will be punitive raids headed by the Rajah. The allied Malays and Dayaks, the War Council, just why is the Rajah there instead of being in Kuching, there’s a whole lot of cultural context for the war expeditions alone, but that’s for later updates. ;)

Awesome update :) Jonathan Edelstein's Saudi comparison is pretty apt - especially given that Sarawak is also swimming in the black gold (and could get more, depending how much more of the island they claim).

Oooh, Sarawak’s black gold will definitely be a major factor ITTL. Fun fact: The oil found in Saudi Arabia is waaay different than the oil found in Sarawak, both in terms of raw matter and in fuel usage. With luck, whatever government the kingdom has will also know just how valuable their oil will be.

Finishing off Brunei seems a priority with new player entering the region. Either full annexation or reducing it to the pit it can become a de facto protectorate I would think.

Brunei will be in its terminal stage by the end of the 1870’s, but it’s downfall will be more of ‘landing on a bed’ than a brutal ‘crashing into a wall’. The Brookes would want the sultanate’s territories for various reasons (some justified, some absurd) and the sultan will… well, just say the more time passes the more will he look to someone – anyone – to protect what’s left. I actually feel kinda sorry for the it now. Sorry, Brunei.

Also, while I can certainly see Abu Bakar investing in education, wouldn't there be enough literate merchants and clerks in Johor Bahru to at least provide the initial readership for a newspaper?

I find myself liking Abu Bakar, but I am not sure I like his chances. His reforms will ruffle feathers in a time when there are too many powerful meddlers waiting to take advantage. Still good luck to him.

Abu Bakar and co. will have a tough time ahead of them, but they also have two things that might just carry Johor through the smoke; lots of money, and deep connections to British Singapore. His family cooperated with Stamford Raffles to establish the port, and there’s a lot of connections the royal family has to cut through colonial matters.

For the newspaper, the Temenggung (well, now the Maharaja of Johor; he changed his title in 1867) was thinking something like a Johorean Gazette, published in the thousands and reaching as far as Muar to Mersing (If there was one thing about Abu Bakar, it was that he thought big). Thankfully, his friend was there to carry him back down to earth. There were some educated Malays in Johor Bahru, and that’s where the real newspaper would find its core subscribers. For now though, its education reform for the Johor Sultanate!

Just to say I'm still following this timeline eagerly. I'm enjoying, and admiring, both the ATL and the OTL bits.

Thank you so much! :D

As for Japan and China, I really need to brush up my history on them; things should’ve gone differently than OTL over there by now, and events up over there would most certainly have an effect on this TL’s world. I have some ideas on how both countries will develop, but for now I’m focusing on Sarawak and Johor, since that’s where the bulk of the 1870’s will take place.

Oooh, Sarawak’s black gold will definitely be a major factor ITTL. Fun fact: The oil found in Saudi Arabia is waaay different than the oil found in Sarawak, both in terms of raw matter and in fuel usage. With luck, whatever government the kingdom has will also know just how valuable their oil will be.

I think whatever happens in Japan, it's inevitable at this point that they'll modernise. Whether Emperor or Shogun wins the Boshin War, the victor will have to begin investing in industry and modern military equipment if they want to withstand European colonial powers. Culturally, obviously there'll be massive differences depending who wins, but I'd still say that modernisation and at least some expansionist tendencies are inevitable. I think, anyway - I'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum more knowledgeable about this subject than me :) I don't think anyone could object to having the Meiji restoration happen ITTL, though - OK, the events leading up to it might be different, but I'd say that a similar end result is still likely. Though, you know... If Sarawak manages to keep steering an independent course, Japan might be interested in dialogue (sort of 'us independent Asian types have to stick together, even if your ruler is a European barbarian'), which could lead to closer relations with Britain, and maaaaaybe lead to the later insane militarism getting butterflied away.

Didn't know that about the oil. Interesting... I'mma have to stop viewing the world as thought it's a Hearts of Iron mapscreen with 'Oil' and 'Rare Materials' symbols on the most desirable bits :D

I think whatever happens in Japan, it's inevitable at this point that they'll modernise. Whether Emperor or Shogun wins the Boshin War, the victor will have to begin investing in industry and modern military equipment if they want to withstand European colonial powers.

Well, except that the Chinese and Koreans had to ¨begin investing in industry and modern military equipment if they want to withstand European colonial powers¨, and they didnt.

Well, except that the Chinese and Koreans had to ¨begin investing in industry and modern military equipment if they want to withstand European colonial powers¨, and they didnt.

Indeed. I'd actually be quite interested to see a Japan divided into colonial protectorates and spheres of influence.

I think whatever happens in Japan, it's inevitable at this point that they'll modernise. Whether Emperor or Shogun wins the Boshin War, the victor will have to begin investing in industry and modern military equipment if they want to withstand European colonial powers. Culturally, obviously there'll be massive differences depending who wins, but I'd still say that modernisation and at least some expansionist tendencies are inevitable. I think, anyway - I'm sure there's plenty of people on this forum more knowledgeable about this subject than me :) I don't think anyone could object to having the Meiji restoration happen ITTL, though - OK, the events leading up to it might be different, but I'd say that a similar end result is still likely. Though, you know... If Sarawak manages to keep steering an independent course, Japan might be interested in dialogue (sort of 'us independent Asian types have to stick together, even if your ruler is a European barbarian'), which could lead to closer relations with Britain, and maaaaaybe lead to the later insane militarism getting butterflied away.

After thinking about it, I’m most probably choosing for the Meiji Restoration to run its full course, with the Imperial side winning the Boshin War and everything after happening almost like OTL. I say almost because this TL’s Japan would be more interested in Southeast Asia much earlier than OTL, and that would mean looking a lot at its resources and what they could provide for their industrialization. Also, it lets me assemble a huge load of butterflies that’ll make Johor and Sarawak even weirder than OTL. :D

And speaking of which, I’m actually juggling a few POD’s on just how connected both nations will be to the wider world. I’m looking at a few possibilities, and Japan might be one of them; or rather, they would be dragged into Southeast Asian affairs in the same way the Ottomans will ITTL; unwillingly.

Actually, I would posit that both China and Korea tried to modernize themselves in whatever way they can, but were unwilling or unable to due to various reasons. There was the Self-Strengthening Movement that had China ordering modern gunboats from France and Great Britain; and there was the Gwangmu Reform period in which Korea tried to emulate its neighbours’ in diplomacy, military, and economic matters. It was just that these reforms and attempts to modernize came at a time when the whole world wanted a slice of East Asia, and that ultimately doomed Beijing and Seoul to invasion.

(though that being said, the push of the conservatives/reactionaries in the royal courts plus the sheer corruption of the administrative and bureaucratic systems also played a huge part).

Indeed. I'd actually be quite interested to see a Japan divided into colonial protectorates and spheres of influence.

If the POD is more Japan-centric, I can see that actually happening. Sadly that ship has sailed, though I do wonder what’ll become of Taiwan ITTL…

After thinking about it, I’m most probably choosing for the Meiji Restoration to run its full course, with the Imperial side winning the Boshin War and everything after happening almost like OTL. I say almost because this TL’s Japan would be more interested in Southeast Asia much earlier than OTL, and that would mean looking a lot at its resources and what they could provide for their industrialization. Also, it lets me assemble a huge load of butterflies that’ll make Johor and Sarawak even weirder than OTL. :D

Makes sense. A few battles and ministers might be different because, well, butterflies, but the end result should probably be the same.

A South-looking Japan early could lead to interesting happenings. Maybe things could happen in the Philippines... On a broader scale, maybe Japan will see the benefit of trade over too much military adventurism (I say too much, because I don't see any way of curbing adventrism entirely in early-Meiji Japan). Maybe some kind of Dai-Nippon-Sarawak Trading Company?

... though I do wonder what’ll become of Taiwan ITTL…

Is there any plausible way that we could get a Sarawakian Formosa? Even as I type this, I know it's highly unlikely, but a man can dream... :D

Makes sense. A few battles and ministers might be different because, well, butterflies, but the end result should probably be the same.

A South-looking Japan early could lead to interesting happenings. Maybe things could happen in the Philippines... On a broader scale, maybe Japan will see the benefit of trade over too much military adventurism (I say too much, because I don't see any way of curbing adventrism entirely in early-Meiji Japan). Maybe some kind of Dai-Nippon-Sarawak Trading Company?

Hmm... I feel that Japan wouldn't just be concentrated in Sarawak alone, particularly if Tokyo wants multiple resources from multiple places down south to feed itself. Then again, there was 19th-century Japanese immigration to the East Indies and Malaya IOTL, and with a few butterflies (and Abu Bakar's reforms) there could've easily been more families emigrating to these places and Sarawak ITTL, and hence, more knowledge of the region's resources to Tokyo. Who knows, maybe there will be a Dai-Nippon Trading Company doing some business, only with the "East Indies" instead of "Sarawak" in the middle of it.

Is there any plausible way that we could get a Sarawakian Formosa? Even as I type this, I know it's highly unlikely, but a man can dream... :D

...Probably impossible politically, but culturally... there could just be an opening, especially if whatever power that has the island is on friendly terms with Sarawak (or the Dayaks/Formosan aborigines make the contact themselves).

Sarawak's expansion into Brunei in the next update, followed by either a culture post or something about Margaret Brooke. It's about time this thread needs women movers-and-shakers. ;)

Besides Japan, might I suggest Borneo being a potential hotbed for Chinese nationalism in TTL? We know Sun Yat-sen visited Singapore and Penang many times to raise funds from the Chinese community for his revolution, though Sarawak was outside of his radar OTL.

Honestly I see Sarawak's best bet is dominating Borneo with projections into the islands to the north. Not a conquering great power, but a powerful economy with a strong spirit of multi-nation nationalism and defense.

I'd be quite interested in seeing a Qing dynasty that survives ITTL; a China that isn't being torn apart by internal traumas in the early twentieth century could have quite an effect on the overseas Chinese populations .

It wouldn't necessarily take much- if the self-strengthening movement has a bit more success and the navy is held together more, they might stalemate Japan (if they ever go to war.)
OTL, their collapse took European observers by surprise.
I just think that your instinct that a Sarawak which has to deal with southward looking Asian powers is an interesting one is correct; why not add Borneo to Formosa and Korea for zones where Peking and Tokyo are competing for investment and influence?

I'd be quite interested in seeing a Qing dynasty that survives ITTL; a China that isn't being torn apart by internal traumas in the early twentieth century could have quite an effect on the overseas Chinese populations .

It wouldn't necessarily take much- if the self-strengthening movement has a bit more success and the navy is held together more, they might stalemate Japan (if they ever go to war.)
I just think that your instinct that a Sarawak which has to deal with southward looking Asian powers is an interesting one is correct; why not add Borneo to Formosa and Korea for zones where Peking and Tokyo are competing for investment and influence?

I like the idea of China modernising early, but wasn't the main problem that the Han absolutely loathed the Manchu dynasty? If I'm wrong - and I probably am - then please don't hesitate to tell me I'm an eejit :), but I thought that by this stage, no matter what policies they pursued, the hatred of the Chinese people for the Qing was such that upheaval of some kind was inevitable.

The Qing being removed isn't inevitable; Manchu domination of the government almost certainly is. Many of the most prominent Chinese statesmen in the period were Han; it wouldn't take too much for the Manchu presence in the top posts to shrink.
One thing that might be butterflied is the 1874 death of the Emperor. It's usually ascribed to syphilis, but it might have been smallpox or something else more easily delayed. That means Cixi doesn't the support of the hard-line traditionalists quite as much, so the reformers have- if not the backing- then the benevolent inaction of the court behind them.

That's not enough for China to "pull a Meiji," but it might be enough for them to just be weak as they enter the twentieth century, not shattering.

Besides Japan, might I suggest Borneo being a potential hotbed for Chinese nationalism in TTL? We know Sun Yat-sen visited Singapore and Penang many times to raise funds from the Chinese community for his revolution, though Sarawak was outside of his radar OTL.

Maybe. By this time, Sun would probably be an ATL-sibling to his original counterpart, but he might still be able to inspire the overseas Chinese in Malaya and the East Indies the same way he did IOTL (well, him or someone else in his mold). On the other hand, a better-run industrializing Qing Empire slow down the flow of emigrants, though Singapore, Penang and - maybe - Kuching's status as important trading ports would probably attract them anyway.

Hmm... how did the Chinese nationalists view Chinese Christian converts? That could be a big make-or-break decision to include Sarawak.

Honestly I see Sarawak's best bet is dominating Borneo with projections into the islands to the north. Not a conquering great power, but a powerful economy with a strong spirit of multi-nation nationalism and defense.

Now that, that is something that's on the endgame for this TL. :D However, the path to achieving that would be one of many twists and turns, and Sarawak might stumble into some troubles along the way.

I like the idea of China modernising early, but wasn't the main problem that the Han absolutely loathed the Manchu dynasty? If I'm wrong - and I probably am - then please don't hesitate to tell me I'm an eejit :), but I thought that by this stage, no matter what policies they pursued, the hatred of the Chinese people for the Qing was such that upheaval of some kind was inevitable.

A better-run China might be more complicated than just having a stronger navy and overcoming ethnic racism. The Self-Strengthening Movement was one based mostly on military matters, and reform of the economic system was viewed very dimly by the Qing Government, which was torn into multiple factions over the reform process. The conservatives were hugely powerful, having the Dowager Empress as the chief supporter (though I would posit that she was a victim of the court as much as being the main player), and having some of the most influential politicians under their belt.

What was worse as the sheer regionalism of the Qing Empire during the 1870's-1890's. In that age, there were many provincial governors whom were appointed from the military, and they quickly established their own power-bases away from Peking and the royal court. Heck, even the Chinese navy was regionalist with no unifying institution, and that basically doomed them during the Sino-Japanese War. Plus, the regionalism of the time bred corruption like nothing else: there were naval ships with no gunpowder and weapons stores with few weapons.

What Qing China needed was deep reforms, Japan-style. Trouble is, almost everyone who had power was divided in the issue, and some just saw it as a way to get ahead of everyone else. An alt-SSM might be possible, but Qing China might fall apart over it, or enter into an alt-warlord era (and with the way I'm screwing Russia in 1878, I have a bad feeling Moscow might look east much earlier to carve up more territories from the Qing...)

That... could possibly work, but it might only go though if Charles Brooke has passed on. With the way I'm planning for Sarawak in the 1880's-1900's, the British and Kuching might take a dim view of other powers - even allies - dipping their hands down south. Keyword, might.

I take your point about the drastic need for a broad-base of reforms in Qing China- though I wouldn't be quite so worried about the Russians. The Qing in the 1880s and early 1890s aren't as weak as they were when the Russians had their skirmishes in Manchuria during the Boxer years.
Look at the Ili Valley Incident- the Russians occupy Qing territory, the first Qing diplomat essentially cedes the point, Peking promptly overrules him... and the Russians back down and withdraw.

Actually, defeats by the decadent Ottomans and the Qing (much, much more limited in the latter case) would probably do incredible things for Tsarist Russia's own reformers...

A less collapsing China with the Qing having at least a brief revival would be interesting. It would change oh so much.

One thing that might be butterflied is the 1874 death of the Emperor. It's usually ascribed to syphilis, but it might have been smallpox or something else more easily delayed. That means Cixi doesn't the support of the hard-line traditionalists quite as much, so the reformers have- if not the backing- then the benevolent inaction of the court behind them.

Actually, defeats by the decadent Ottomans and the Qing (much, much more limited in the latter case) would probably do incredible things for Tsarist Russia's own reformers...

A less collapsing China with the Qing having at least a brief revival would be interesting. It would change oh so much.

Butterflying the Tongzhi Emperor's death might work, though given his nightlife in the dens of Peking, I wonder just how long would he last. Maybe he would live long enough to see his consort sire children, though that would definitely mean Cixi would try to gain influence on the newborn, creating a power-struggle at court between the mother and the grandmother. Empress Alute was reputedly intelligent, but that didn't stop Cixi from forcing her way into the consort's private life like OTL. ITTL, she has even more incentive to do so.

Dang, Qing's China's complicated. :(

As for Russia, losing to the Ottomans and the Qing-(in a way) could be one heck of a slap to St. Petersburg, that's for sure. The Tsar and his court might try to rebuild back prestige by spreading more influence in Central Asia and the Far East; and the threat of that might make China more invested in reform than OTL. They may prattle on about Confucius, but I'm sure no sane Manchu likes to see the Great Bear breathing outside their door.

EDIT: Due to unforeseen events, the coming updates are shunted till the next week or so. Sorry everyone! :eek:

EDIT 2.0: Speaking of emperors, I wonder just how will the Empire of Brazil work ITTL. The only thing I know about it is related to the 1870's rubber industry (which will form a focus in the TL and answer just why does Sarawak's resources matter so much), but I'm kinda clueless on the politics.

Last edited:
1870's: Sarawakian expansion and how it was done
Finally!! made it!

45mszZq.png

Excerpt of Tales of Hong Kong: Treachery on Victoria Peak, by Harriet Lowder (Casron Press: 2013)

"...so let's say, around 30,000 Pounds?"

Not on your life.

For me, the entire situation felt like some sort of dream. The office in which I sat in was tastefully furnished, and so was the person who occupied it; a man who was once a newspaper editor, ship broker, and commission agent all in one. However, I could also see the shabbiness of his clothes and the papers of debt still stacked on his messy desk. This was a businessman who gambled everything on a venture, and lost.

Still, that didn't mean I agreed with the price. "...The Rajah of Sarawak entrusted me with a specific amount, and I am afraid your price is too much for us. 15,000 Pounds, with around 2% interest for your troubles."

"I disagree," Torrey clipped back. "30,000 Pounds with at least 5% in interest. I know the land well, and I can see the value of the region in terms of strategics. I must say, though, when I heard you and your employer would come to see me, I expected a much more... (he raised his eyebrows at me) impressive envoy."

Damn you. No wonder every prospector walks away from here without your lease.

Still, I pressed on. "Now, surely there must be some way that we can arrange a-"

"-settlement? Yes, I agree. However, with my situation being as it is, I can't exactly let my prize territory go without receiving the proper compensation. 30,000 Pounds, and I am not budging on that."

I stayed silent. I held my tongue. Internally, I wondered at how the man even managed to acquire the lease from the Bruneian sultan in the first place, but I knew better than to speak out loud. The Brookes gave me a helping hand when I needed it, and I will not throw away their one moment of need.

CBK2RgH.jpg

‘Abdurrahman Khan’, War and Peace in Colonial Borneo (Kenyalang Publishing; 1985)

…Though the novels of today spoke of double-deals and murder, the reality was a far less exciting affair. For one thing, Torrey was not penniless when he met with Hugh Low in Hong Kong; the man had rebuilt the American Borneo Company from bankruptcy in the years following the Yankee Rajah affair, and was rather doing quite successfully in trading with China and the East Indies. For another, he also agreed on the £15,000 offer placed by Low, with the caveat that whatever profits to be made in the leased territories were to be split between his company and Sarawak for the next ten years. In the business world, such an offer was rare; some historians believe Torrey was simply fed up with the lease as a remainder of his past, and wanted to get rid of it as best as he could.

Whatever the case, by November 1872 the Kingdom of Sarawak held the lease to northern Brunei, and it was determined to use the land to its fullest. Charles Brooke shared his late uncle’s dream of expanding the kingdom, and northern Brunei would play a part in this grand design. For him, Sarawak’s northward/southward march was beneficial in many ways; it would eliminate the headhunting Dayaks who were conducting raids from beyond the border, protect the ever-increasing trade between the coasts to the interior, safeguard the seas against the Sulu Sultanate and their pirates, and so on. To the administration in Kuching, Sarawak was a state that had to grow, and if that means carving off massive chunks of Bruneian soil and absorbing it into the polity, then so be it.

However, Charles also knew that simply carving up Brunei would have problems of its own; as Sarawak expanded closer and closer to sultanate's capital, it would inevitably meet with towns and villages that would be allied to Brunei out of either friendship, honour, loyalty, or all three of them. Plus, he also knew that such large repeated annexations would surely make the sultan squeal and ask for foreign protection sooner or later; possibly dragging Sarawak into another Sentarum or Vinston debacle. Though the kingdom had won influence over the sultanate following the Borneo Treaty, Bandar Brunei was still an internationally-recognized city with more and more Great Powers establishing their own footholds in the vicinity.

Just as quickly as he thought of the problems, a solution was found: Use the existing war expeditions to extend Brooke territory. Up until this point, Sarawak had never fully pacified it’s interior lands; a morass of rapids, mountains, and thick verdant rainforest that were both home and shelter to numerous Dayak tribes, some of them lowland head-hunters whom fled upriver to escape the Rajah’s forces. His tactic was to use those war expeditions and conduct them beyond the kingdom’s borders, flushing the head-hunters off and, in the process, gain the trust, respect and allegiance of the numerous villages therein. Sarawak’s territory would extend bit by bit northward (or southward from the Bruneian lease), and the new borders would be formally recognized after a set period of time, with some strong-arming of Bandar Brunei if things went awry.

But first, there needed to be some foundations made for the new policy. A new fort was built northwards of the failed Vinston settlement, with an extra eye towards its location and resources to prevent another Yankee Rajah affair. A visit to Brunei was also made in which the northern lease was to be extended for another ten years, more than enough time for Kuching to influence the region. From then on, it was only a matter of convincing the local fiefs to join the kingdom outright, a deal most accepted due to the long-held connections between the north and Kuching. What few leaders who resisted were swiftly crushed by adjoining fiefs, or blasted with Charles' gunboats.

By March 1873, Sarawak's North Brunei lease was less a nominal territory and more a Brooke bastion located just north of the sultanate's capital. From this, Charles would drive his expeditions northwards from Bintulu and southwards from Fort Charles (the local lords insisted on the name, much to his chagrin), driving a noose tighter and tighter around Bandar Brunei. Now the only factor left was time, and it was one both sides wondered...who will it favour?

hTmnPYH.jpg

Johari Openg, Study of the Bornean Dayaks in the 1800’s, (Journal of Asiatic Studies, Victor Press: 1995)

...Perhaps the most peculiar aspect – and the most astounding – of the war expeditions was not that it all happened under the guidance of a White Rajah, nor of its ulterior movie of expanding Sarawak’s power and annexing a decaying sultanate, but exactly how the Malays and especially the Dayaks saw the expeditions in of themselves, and how their views on these voyages ended up creating one of the most mythmaking eras in Bornean history. Today, there are Bidayuh songs, Iban epics, and Kayan dances all commemorating either Charles Brooke or the many many warriors who followed him in expanding Sarawak. Today, such exultations would not only fly in the face of reason, but seem almost contrary to the modern idea of the colonial era, that it was – in the words of the famous anti-colonial patriarch Richard Parker: "an era best seen poorly and best learned unfavourably".

But songs and epics there are today, as well as stories, television shows, and even local plays centred around the era and of the expeditions. To answer just why have they embed themselves so deep in the nation's psyche, an understanding of the era has to be researched. First was the physical factor: These expeditions were anything but small. The German naturalist Karl Johan Fosse described the scene of one such voyage whilst searching for orchids in the Bintulu region:

“…At the head of the party was the white gunboat, with the Sarawak Rajah as its spiritual heart, surrounded by headmen and downriver chieftains. Following in the vessel’s wake, filling the entire view, were hundreds upon hundreds of carved log vessels, each boat packed with an innumerable mass of natives, tribes from many places and many faces, all roaring out their support for blood and war.”

To embark on an expedition was no small feat. First, Charles Brooke would send word to a river basin or territorial region in which he wanted to pacify or conquer. Next, the region's Resident (or the one nearby) would invoke the old auxiliary laws laid down by the previous Rajah, James Brooke: Every allied village man from the age of 18 would serve in the voyage, with a fine of 3 Sarawak Dollars if not complied (with exceptions for the young, sick, and the infirm). The village headman or chieftain would also join in the voyage as an advisor to the Rajah. In return for their service, every man would get a share of the spoils from the defeated tribe's longhouse, if they win. This order was repeated many times throughout the region, creating a massive native army numbering in the thousands.

w9d4GuQ.png

A rare photograph showing Dayak troops from multiple tribes assembling for battle, circa 1875.

From this, it was only a matter of choosing where to strike, either rowing upriver to the mountainous interior, or along the coast into Bruneian territory. Along the way, a War Council is convened between the Rajah and the chieftains in which food, provisions, head-hunter whereabouts, and tactics are all discussed in detail. Such councils are large, with up to sixty to a hundred chieftains from many subgroups participating in the matter, providing a wealth of information that can be used against any recalcitrant tribes. Once an enemy tribe is located, the tactics discussed would then be put to use, and the allied Dayaks will battle with warriors from the opposite side. Once the enemy tribe is defeated, the longhouse would be plundered and the survivors would be given the option of either joining the Brookes and move downriver, or retreat beyond the mountains and into Dutch Borneo, where they would then become their neighbours' problem.

Of course, such expeditions do not always involve constant warfare and plunder. In some cases, there would be villages who would join the Rajah's banner or surrender at first sight, either knowing the merits of being under Sarawak or just plain scared of the possible conflict. This is especially the case during the voyages into Brunei, where diplomacy stood with war as the main priority. Charles Brooke would visit numerous longhouses and villages, seeking to sway the residents towards Brooke rule. Gifts would be exchanged, rice wine poured, and talks commenced on how the community could contribute to the kingdom's economy.

With the duration of these expeditions and the numbers of its participants, it is easy to see how the stories of battle would stay within collective memory and become the subject of numerous media. But that still does not explain just why are they so exalted in Sarawak and its neighbours, considering it was basically an expansion of Sarawak's state power, even if decentralized. The answer lies in that, for the Malays and Dayaks who participated, the expeditions didn't feel like a burden so much as it was a cultural duty, and an important one at that.

For the Dayaks who participated, it was a system in which warfare could be commenced under the White Rajah's sanction. It really needs to be said that Borneo was never really peaceful during the rule of the sultanates, with numerous Dayak tribes warring for food, land, territory, or honour. Also, many Dayak tribes have developed a cultural axis around the practice of warfare and especially headhunting, of which many considered as a cultural or even a religious act. Because of this, war was seen in a general manner as a way for individual warriors to gain honour, faith, or social standing within the community. Charles Brooke's expeditions only made such paths easier, sans the headhunting.

V46Hzhu.jpg

A shield from the Kelabit subgroup dating back to the 1870’s. The tufts of fur is actually human hair collected from the bodies of slain enemy warriors.

Another was the general belief in Semangat, a concept that can be defined as Courage or Prowess. In a general sense, some Dayak tribes believe in an innate source of power that resides within every living being and harnessing that power – using it well and using it for the right purpose, would bring wealth and blessings upon him and his community. As the Rajah of Sarawak and head of these expeditions, Charles Brooke embodied the priciple of Semanagat for the Dayaks, and many wanted to follow his example of courage and leadership. Charles knew this from his early days in the nation, and so joined the expeditions for this purpose; to inspire others to follow him, and to keep the belief of Semangat alive.

There were also many tangential factors at play as well: from personal revenge amongst individual Dayaks, the upriver-downriver power plays amongst the chieftains, to young adolescents just wanting to make their mark on the world. The promise of plunder alone was enough reason for some, and the promise of battle enough for others, especially for those who have lived before the Brooke era and wanting to let loose on something besides headhunting. Indeed, even with the auxiliary laws there many infirm and underage Dayaks who joined the expeditions anyways, the former wanting to have their last adventure, and the younger wanting to experience their first.

Perhaps that is why Sarawak's past is not shamed within its own nation, why there are so many mediums that exalt the era and not denigrate it. For the Dayaks and the Sarawak Malays, it wasn't a burden to be forced, but a cultural ritual that the Brookes preserved and sanctioned. It was a time when disparate tribes banded together, where language and race formed no barriers to brotherhood, and where friendships are forged in fire and blood.

In a sense, it forged Sarawak's peoples together.

Footnotes:

1. IOTL, Torrey sold his lease to the Austro-Hungarian Consul of Hong Kong in 1874. ITTL, this didn't happen.

2. IOTL, Sarawak barely annexed Brunei at all during the 1870's. The reason was due to the Governor of Labuan not permitting the Brookes to do so, and threatening to call London on it. ITTL, the Brookes have influence over Brunei, but face a more crowded Southeast Asia and more of Brunei having contact with the outside world. There were war expeditions into Brunei, but they are ramped up ITTL to become slow annexation movements.

3. That last line is a bit of a misnomer. The wars forged Sarawak's lowland peoples together. The upriver tribes...ehh :p

Last edited:
Good update.

Waiting for more...

Have an appearance by Teddy Roosevelt ITTL...

Looking forward to the cultural update...

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
Really looking forward to see how the Spanish in the Philippines would look at Sarawak in the long run. Would we see some kind of conflict over Sulu and Sabah in the future, with perhaps some kind of British Ultimatum leading to the collapse of the Spanish monarchy (if the British are backing the Brookes up, of course)?

So Charles Brooke is tightening the noose around Bandar Brunei, and the punitive expeditions are forging a nation. I imagine this will create a lot of resentment among the inland peoples, though, and as you say, an outright seizure of Brunei might bring unwanted attention from the great powers. Interesting times ahead.