Of Bears, Eagles, Dragons and Lions: The Second Marshall Plan and the New Cold War

map_road.jpg

AIIB and other giant infrastructural projects are coming into play sooner, now that shit is hitting the fan. China needs friends and is willing to pay for them. (sorry for the big map)

###

A Dragon in the Woods

"Fucking pig" Lin spat as he kicked the Burmese soldier in the thigh. The soldier's head almost came off as he instantly turned towards the Chinese with an angry stare, then he froze. The Tatmadaw (Military) usually had little reach over these areas, and the Na Sa Kha (Auxiliaries) was the one that laid down the law, unfortunately all too often the Na Sa Kha dispensed its own laws, creating its own local power structures. The Burmese commander stood up instantly and hastily saluted the Chinese.

"You the Bogyoke (Officer) here?" As the words were translated, the Soldier hastily nodded "I am here on behalf of the State Law and Order Restoration Council and the Tatmadaw. Your unit will be brought under the wing of the military, and these boys..." he pointed at the two giant shaved Burmese men "...are here to take arrest you."

As expected, the local officer tried to run, but all the entrances of the small mud hut were barred with guards, who instantly caught the man trying to escape. The giant Bogyoke who was standing next to Lin signaled something in whatever language he spoke to the men around him, they turned to the agent in broken Mandarin.

"We execute him."
This surprised Lin who looked back into what he smugly called the "ape" with confusion "Wont you sent him back to the headquarters for trial?"
The Bogyoke, bemusingly explained "Capital? We are far. No roads. Must send convoy, costs..." he rubbed his thumb and forefinger together, the international symbol for money "...much easier do it here."

The agent remained silent for a bit before pulling out a cigarette out of his forward pocket. He carried several packs of his favorite Balkan made cigarettes, but he didn't use them, he mainly kept them around to trade for favors with the locals and the soldiers, as they didn't have access to anything like that. For personal use, he had to go with some local variety. Lin could never get rid of that smug sense of superiority, he could never grasp the complexity of the people around him, so he boiled down the Burmese and their struggles and daily lives to a simple word, barbaric. He thought the same about their cigarettes.

As Lin stepped out of the hut, a gunshot pierced the silence of the forest. He lit his cigarette and looked upon the trees. Soon enough, there was going to be a highway passing through here, transporting goods and through it, China will dominate this land. The Burmese government was desperate as it was further isolated, they were ready to sell their soul, and China was more then a willing to buy it. The agent realized these lands were rich and their people poor, but his empathy was left on the other side of the border, for he was here not as a care-worker or a nurse, but as an enforcer of the interests of the People's Republic.

The Tatmadaw had been a willing helper, with the Sa Ya Pa (Security Services) quickly ratting out those Na Sa Kha commanders who were conducting illegal activities along the path of China's planned highway expansion. They were quickly cleaned up, the locals will probably be drafted into the military to help built the road. Of course, unlike the Tatmadaw, China will pay those people handsomely for their service, and they will eventually be relocated. With the exploding financial crisis in Asia, thanks to a lot of businesses moving to Eastern Europe and a collapse of the stock markets over the region, a lot of countries were looking to the elephant in the room. Chinese money and assistance could help weather the storm, especially for weak economies like Burma, Laos and the like. Moreover, Lin's success in paving the way for Myanmar to be pulled towards the Chinese sphere will be appreciated by the MSS and its command staff.

All of this is going to...inconvenience, some of Myanmar's rebel populations. Lin himself was present as the a large military unit marched into a village, which had suspected rebels in it, and just burned the whole place down with the people inside it. He refused to sanction any of these activities, but he had no authority to stop it, so he just stood as far away as possible as the Burmese murdered and later buried the bodies of the people who had suffered "an incident". It was shit like this that shook his fate that he was on the right side of the barricade, but he fought that feeling, self doubt was the last he needed now, he was here to prove himself and the Agency was testing him, so he had to show that he was capable.

And once he was finished here, he would fly back to Beijing, with a brand new reputation and a position befitting his capabilities.

###

Vladislav Kovalenkov, in a funny twist of events, was his actual name and not some sort of a fake name he used for the operation. The Russian believed that a man's name was his marker in life. He was not adverse to using fake names, of course, but in case he did he always used short nicknames, never an actual full name. It was something weird his colleagues always found amusing.

An interesting fact about both Russian intelligence agencies like the GRU and FSB was that their staff agents were never sent on the field, they were analysts and political officers, but never field agents. Both of the organizations however, had a Specnaz (special forces) detachment that was used in case of an emergency or if the agencies needed to send someone out to do something really really dangerous and stupid. Like, for example, shoot Iran's Ayatollah. Of course, Russia would never do anything like that.

Destroying military hardware that was smuggled out of Russia and into Iraq however? That was another story. Vladislav had this operation all planned out, the operation was going to be quick and clean and the weapons were going to be destroyed. And then Saddam, that fucker, had to get shot. Now he was stuck babysitting a squeamish american in the middle of a bubbling warzone. He could just ditch Mark and keep moving on his own, but something stopped him from abandoning the American. Perhaps it was a sense of a honor, or even friendship. Whatever it was, he was stuck with it.

As they reached the embassy, the agent realized what he had feared all along. The place was under siege, the building filled with friendly Iraqi contractors, while the outside was swarming with warriors belonging to the various Iraq factions fighting for control over the city. Getting into the embassy, with the american in tow was hard, but once in, they all found themselves in the middle of an even stickier situation.

Vladislav walked in, Mark on his shoulders, the ground floor was filled to the brink with people, most of them were Iraqis, but a few Russians, possibly business owners and advisers were there as well. He pushed through the crowd and walked up to the central marble stairs, guarded by a few of the local Iraqi guards keeping the crowd at bay. "Sorry..." one of them started in very bad English "... we cannot let you go up."

"Tell the Ambassador Vladislav Kovalenkov is here. He will want to see me."

Two of the guards shared a confused look and one of them nodded, he turned around and quickly ran up the stairs. Vladislav, who was holding the lifeless body of the American, slowly let the man down on a chair that was freed especially for him. Medical staff quickly swarmed around Mark.

"Follow me." the guard said, returning. Vlad threw a quick look at the American and left him there at the care of the medics. The Russian briskly climbed the stairs after the Iraqi man. A large wooden door at the end of the hallway on the second floor, opened to reveal the ambassador and a few of the advisers all huddled around a small wooden table, they were deshaven, their suits messy and there was a horrible stench about.

"Mr Kovalenkov..." the ambassador said without looking up "...I am happy you are here. We must prepare...."

###​

So, it looks like NATO is GTFOing out of Iraq, at least for now. Hardly a surprise there, since being in an embassy in the middle of a warzone isn't fun. I'm just wondering what else will go to hell, and will it happen in such a manner that we can get a blockbuster Hollywood hit out of it. :D

Meanwhile, China works to expand their influence by throwing money at the problem until it goes away. Somehow I am not surprised, though thus far it doesn't seem like China is pushing that much, at least in terms of moving in Burma and the like. I'm looking forward to seeing how they enact their influence outside of Asia proper.

Myanmar a place of horrific massacres? Where's the AH man? :p

Also, looks like shit is seriously going down in Iraq. I have a few suspicions about how it will turn out, but I'll keep my mouth shut. This thing is really, really well written though. A real pleasure to read.

So, it looks like NATO is GTFOing out of Iraq, at least for now. Hardly a surprise there, since being in an embassy in the middle of a warzone isn't fun. I'm just wondering what else will go to hell, and will it happen in such a manner that we can get a blockbuster Hollywood hit out of it. :D

I can just hear Michael Bay creaming in his pants. So much explosions and action! Now if he can only fit Megan Fox in it!

Meanwhile, China works to expand their influence by throwing money at the problem until it goes away. Somehow I am not surprised, though thus far it doesn't seem like China is pushing that much, at least in terms of moving in Burma and the like. I'm looking forward to seeing how they enact their influence outside of Asia proper.

So far they are still making baby steps into dominance over the region, Burma is one of their customers, Laos and Cambodia are others. But its about to get hairier as time moves on. :D

Myanmar a place of horrific massacres? Where's the AH man? :p

Gotta have some truth in fiction man :D

Also, looks like shit is seriously going down in Iraq. I have a few suspicions about how it will turn out, but I'll keep my mouth shut. This thing is really, really well written though. A real pleasure to read.

I am happy you like it! :3 As for Iraq, you know what is going to happen you sneaky Arab, but don't spoil it for everyone now. :D

OfGGSic.png

###

The fire in the desert

The helicopter was shaking as it flew low over the rocky earth.

"We have established contact with a specnaz operative on the ground. Codename Cherepah."

"A single Specnaz? Why in Iraq"

"GRU."

For a moment, silence engulfed the cabin, the helicopter's rotors' thundering filled the ears of both men.

"That motherfucker probably shot Saddam himself." the gunner said as he looked out of the Hind's window.

"You think?" the pilot responded almost absentmindedly.

"I dunno man. Its the fucking GRU..." The men belong to the FSB, one of the federal agencies in Russia. The GRU (military intelligence) and FSB (Federal Security Bureau) had been set up in such a way, ever since their inception,
to force an internal competition between them as much as they competed with outside agencies. The men working in both the GRU and the FSB hated their guts, feared each other and during Communism there were a few cases where agents from one organization ratted out and ultimately caused the deaths of agents from the other. But even in this fierce field of competition, there was a certain level of respect the FSB agents had towards the GRU. There was no denying the latter organization was indeed an elite.

"Well, Cherepah will be calling the shots for this operation."
"Yeah. Genshtab decided a random GRU agent on the ground is going to better asses the situation then two helicopters filled to the brink with FSB."

"Filled with wisdom are the General Staff's decision." the gunner snorted as they shared a quick laugh. The giant helicopter shuttered as its blades blew dust in the air. The Hind was made for operations exactly like this one, deploying troops while providing heavy air support. It was a large vehicle and the Russian air-force was particularly proud of it, for good reason. It was also well protected.

"Cherepah, this is Sokol One" the voice of the gunner filled the airwaves. "Can you hear me, over?"

Another, deeper voice responded "Cherepah here. Loud and clear, over."
"We are inbound on your position. T minus 5 minutes. Over."
"Understood. I will provide coordinates. Requesting fire support. Over."

The gunner's gloved finger clicked the mute button "Does he want us to fire on the locals. What the hell?"
"He is the boss, man, take his coordinates."
"Jesus..." his finger flicked the mute back off "Ready for coordinates, over."

As Cherepah's deep voice read them out, the gunner slowly realized those were a couple of buildings around the embassy. His finger was back on the mute button again.
"This asshole wants us to level the buildings around the embassy"
"Lets just hope he knows what he is doing."
He flicked the button again "Roger that. Over"

###

Udey Hussain pulled out a cigar from the elaborately decorated wooden box sitting on the desk. The beautiful marble flooring of the palace was stained with blood. All around him, his loyalists were securing the rooms one by one. Qusay had ditched the palace quickly after he found out Saddam was dead and moved to Al-Ramadi where he set up headquarters. Uday was angry that 60% of the Republican Guard had declared for his brother, but the traitors were going to be killed anyways. Those who had remained loyal to Uday were now around him and he was sure he was going to secure Baghdad, even if the city had forced from all sides present in it and was still in chaos. That motherfucker Ali had declared himself President from Mosul as well, everything was going to hell in a hand-basket.

But Uday was happy, he was sure he was going to win this. He always won. Anything he wanted he took for himself. His black uniform was well tailored and perfectly clean, he had no reason to get dirty, his boys did all the work.

Unfortunately, while all of this was happening, Uday made a critical miscalculation. He decided that taking the Russian embassy hostage was going to give him a card against the west. Taking the American one was going to be too hard to bother and any other embassy was useless. The Russians, in his mind, were both too weak to intervene as he thought, and important enough for NATO to negotiate.

What he didn't realize was that America was not going to negotiate, and Russia was definitely not going to roll over. As he put the cigar in his mouth, clasping it with his teeth and pulling a large metal lighter, he stopped himself short of lighting it. One of his men had ran into the room, he looked worried and the security detail had let him through.

"What is it Malik?"
The man gulped for a second and looked around, then he said in a rushed voice "The Russians, sir, they are attacking the garrison around the embassy."

The cigar fell from Uday's mouth "What?!"
"Helicopters, sir, two of them."
"WHERE ARE THE AIRFORCES" Uday screamed at the man
"Very few declared for us, sir, and the rest blew most of the equipment."
"Fucking... GET ME RAHIM ON THE LINE"

###

The lead Mil Mi-24 shuddered as the frontal cannon opened fire. The 30 mm caliber bullets burst into the former Bank that served as the headquarters of the soldiers who had surrounded the embassy. From his vantage point, the pilot could see the bullets crushing through walls, bursting into rooms and trails of blood being spat about as his gunner relentlessly pounded the building.

"RPG!" Someone yelled on the comms, forcing the pilot to jerk the vehicle leftwards to avoid the missile that flew right by the helicopter. He thanked all that is holy that it wasn't a stinger or they would be dust and yelled in response in his own communications system "CHEREPAH, REPORT, ARE YOU SEEING STINGERS FROM YOUR POSITION, OVER."

Fuck fuck fuck, he swore to himself, he should have checked sooner, shit like this could get you killed Andrei. The GRU agent's voice came back to him "Negative, no Stingers. Few RPGs on the building by the Bahraini Embassy. Confirm, over."

"Confirmed." the pilot continued a bit more calmly as he swiveled his helicopter around. The second Hind was already landing next to the pool in the Russian embassy that was emptied a long time ago, the courtyard was filled with various people but they were being held back by the local Iraqi guards payed off to guard the embassy. The pilot made a mental note to himself on the number of people down there and realized both helicopters won't be enough.

"Russian citizens only" he was reminded by the voice of the ambassador on the comms. "...and the Iraq guards." He didn't have time to consider it, as he dodged a second missile swearing.

"Ivan, i'll swivel around, you put some rounds into that fucker" he yelled to his gunner, as the man sprayed rounds over various buildings who were attempting to exchange fire with the Hind. A few moments later they could see the Bahraini Embassy and the rooftop of the building next to it was crawling with men. The helicopter shuddered again as the big gun at the front opened fire, leaving dust and smoke where the building once stood. "Confirmed. Great shot."

"Ambassador, Advisers, Agent and an several civilians all on board. Sokol 2 two lifting off to provide fire support."

###

Mark had been up for a few hours. He had grasped the situation and was ready for the rescue, what he wasn't told was that there would be only two helicopters for all of the people in the embassy. After they climbed into the first helo, he shook Kovalenkov "You can't leave these people!"

"The second helicopter will pick some of them up."
"Vlad, I may be a cowered, but I am not dumb. I know that helicopter is not enough to take all of them."
the Agent stiffened, he didn't say anything but shook his head. Sanchez was angry, he turned to the ambassador who was just staring at the destruction below him. "Ambassador! You are going to allow this?!"

The man looked back at him with confusion, he shook his head as well and looked back through he small window provided on the side of the aircraft.
"Motherfucker" Mark screamed as he jumped out of his seat and slapped the Ambassador, Kovalenkov managing to grab him just before one of the guards pulled out a gun and pointed it at American.

"Listen, Sanchez, you are lucky I got these assholes to take you. We can't do shit for the locals. We are here to save Russian citizens, that's all."

The American wanted to respond, he was angry, he wanted to say something, but he felt powerless. He himself looked out of the window, he felt the helicopter shudder a few more times as it spit out rounds at various buildings around the embassy. Then Sokol one, which was on the ground in the embassy, lift off and he caught a glimpse of the people remaining in the embassy. Their faces, twisted in horror and pain, etched itself in his mind as the helicopters sped outside of the town. The tops of the buildings underneath turned into rock and then desert.

"Next stop, Jordan." the Ambassador said with a smile, which Mark found disgusting.

###​

I appreciate the map.

Honestly, I expected more things to go wrong during that escape. I guess we can count ourselves lucky (Besides the whole multi sided civil war, which is decided not lucky for anyone involves)

I appreciate the map.

Honestly, I expected more things to go wrong during that escape. I guess we can count ourselves lucky (Besides the whole multi sided civil war, which is decided not lucky for anyone involves)

Thanks!

I made it myself. But yeah, could be worse. And the civil war is bound to get worse before it gets better.

PljKj2G.png

Coat of arms of the SCO

###

The thunder in the mountains

Dr Khan's car was stuck in the often chaotic traffic of Islamabad, he hated this part of the visits to the capital, as he had to spend a while in the hectic traffic of the capital and often argue with stubborn military officials and various other government employees.

The car, at least, was nice. It was given to him by the government, they had insisted that he has a driver who also served as a guard, but after a lot of arguing Dr Khan has managed to get at least that peace and quiet for himself, government be damned.

The Nuclear Program was pulling ahead and he personally was responsible for a great part of its successes, his eyes were locked on the dark thunderous clouds hanging over the city. They were a weird occurrence in such a day.

He saw two traffic cops walking in between cars, as the radio blared about massive growth all over the developing world, the reviving of the East African Community and political instability in Thailand following the Asian Economic Crisis. What caught his attention was that China has stepped in, helping develop countries like Cambodia, Myanmar and Laos.

One of the cops knocking on his window pulled Dr Khan out of his thoughts. He slowly rolled down the window and looked at the man.

"How can I help you?" the doctor said, the man stared at him intently.

"ID?" He said. Khan found it weird, but complied, he pulled his special ID slip and handed it to the man. A sudden grin filled the man's face as he instantly pulled out his pistol and pointed it at the doctor. Before he could say anything, a shot rang out and the darkness engulfed Khan.

"We have to go to Sudan." Vlad said sternly as the FSB commander took another pull from the cigarette he was smoking.
"I can't just force my men back in a fight, especially without..."
"We are talking about chemical weapons that are planned to be used against our biggest ally. And we are the closest one to this... I thought the FSB thought itself superior to the GRU. A GRU Specnaz will not run away form a fight..." Vlad spat, the commander stared at him directly.
"You fucker..."

Before the situation could escalate, the Ambassador's voice came from the entrance of the hangar "Break it up boys." he yelled as he walked to both of them "I have the Defense minister on the phone, you boys are going to Sudan. I can't stress how imperative it is to keep this under wraps. If the Americans found out we sold Chemical Weapons to some random douche-bag who plans to use it against them there will be hell to pay."

The Specnaz commander stared back at Kovalenkov. Who grinned in return.

"The FSB will command this operation." Kovalenkov's smile disappeared. "The defense minister is not happy with the number of casualties of the Iraqi operation, Vladislav. The GRU will probably want to have a word with you."

Lin's trip back home was uneventful. He had pushed the images of what he had seen the Tatmadaw do to the back of his head, he rested. He had seen a lot more then the execution of a few asshole commanders, he saw expulsions of villagers and death on a large scale.

But all of that was behind him now. He was flying home to a beautiful and hopefully calm trip. He had noticed a lot of activities around the airport as he arrived on Beijing. A lot of young men in uniforms. That seemed unusual for Beijing.

As he walked to the car that was provided to him by the MSA, he found a man in a suit waiting for him.

"Good morning, Comrade Yu-Huan Lin" the man started with a wide smile. "I am one of Comrade Jia's assistant, I am here to escort you." Lin was surprised by what the man said and he smiled back.

"Thank you Comrade. Your services would not be needed." The man's smile however remained unwavering.

"I am sorry Agent Lin, for the duration of the emergency, I will have to join you."

Lin stared at the man with an empty smile for a moment, before finally asking "Emergency?"

"A crisis has erupted in Cashmere."

Lin walked around and sat on the seat next to the driver, he waved the man in. "Explain and drive."

"Our military was conducting operations behind enemy lines in the Cashmere valley. We were trying to strengthen our positions relative to the other two sides in the conflict." Lin pulled out a cigarette, signaling to the driver to continue as he lit it "Dr. Khan, widely known as Pakistan's main contributor to the nuclear program, was shot a few days ago, by Indian commandos, the Agency thinks that this is as a response to our activities. The Pakistani Nuclear program has taken a hit and now India is mobilizing forces. They have won several battles in Cashmere, they were very small-scale, just a few outposts, but that was enough for our military to say its a defeat. You know how proud the People's Liberation Army is, Comrade." Lin only nodded "This is leading to cooperation between us and Pakistan. We have nuclear scientists, we have technology and materials, they have the troops, contacts and positions. The new leadership in the Party is going to sign an alliance with Pakistan soon."

The red tip of the Agent's cigarette darted up and then down, as he took another pull. He exhaled, thinking it through, and then he looked at the driver "So we are going to be allies of Pakistan. What a development. What about Iran?"

"The party got Pakistan to agree to a compromise with Iran on Afghanistan. And that is why you are important here, Comrade." the man said as he pointed towards the glove compartment of the vehicle. "Open it."

Lin complied, he opened the glove compartment and pulled out a file. "This is Abdul Haq. The ISI are keeping him secure in Pakistan. VAJA agents will be joining you as well. Stay close to him, we will need him in the months to come."

"...with the signing of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation between the Foreign Ministers of the People's Republic of China, the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Islamic Republic of Pakistan the new political block, long in the making has finally been formalized. Days later, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Burma, and Cambodia's Foreign Ministers signed the alliance's charter, making them members of the new agreement. With NATO's expansion east, this agreement is seen as being in direct competition with western interests. Following the Third Taiwan Strait Crisis, the destabilization of East Asia caused by the 1996 Asian Financial Crisis due to many manufacturing businesses moving shop in eastern Europe, China's aid and assistance has seen it steadily expand its power block over Asia, with Malaysia, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan, Libya and the revived (with Chinese help) East African Community all showing interest in aligning with the new block.

This has, in turn drawn massive criticism from the west, with President Clinton saying "A second iron curtain is descending on Asia and Africa..." with many analysts calling it the "Silk Curtain" due to China being less concentrated on ideological purity and hard power then on stability and soft power, with economic investments fueling growth all over the world. The competition of investments between the United States and Russia on one side and China and Iran, analysts warn, has lead to yet another arms race and a Second Cold War, so quickly after the first one ended..."

###​

Last edited:
Great update and so far I'm enjoying every minute of it I wonder now if Hong Kong will be given back to China since I could see NATO liking having a open port in the Chinese back yard

Well, besides once again spelling 'analysts' wrong, a very interesting update all around. So China was working in India to strengthen their own position, which led to an escalation of tensions that, in addition to the Iraq situation, pushed Iran and Pakistan into the arms of China? Interesting to see the rogue states throwing in with Beijing now that they have the chance.

And so the battle lines are being drawn. I'm sure Russia is thrilled to have some of the Central Asian states throwing in with the Chinese. Meanwhile we have the potential for the alliance to expand into North and East Africa. I have the feeling that this is going to be a very long Silk Curtain. :D

Still, looking forward to the next update.

Great update and so far I'm enjoying every minute of it I wonder now if Hong Kong will be given back to China since I could see NATO liking having a open port in the Chinese back yard

Well I doubt they will be able to do so, Hong Kong was leased after all, and refusing to return it will be a massive international crisis. Also NATO cannot hope to fight for Hong Kong so close to China and too far from god. :D

But it will be fun if nothing else.

Well, besides once again spelling 'analysts' wrong, a very interesting update all around. So China was working in India to strengthen their own position, which led to an escalation of tensions that, in addition to the Iraq situation, pushed Iran and Pakistan into the arms of China? Interesting to see the rogue states throwing in with Beijing now that they have the chance.

And so the battle lines are being drawn. I'm sure Russia is thrilled to have some of the Central Asian states throwing in with the Chinese. Meanwhile we have the potential for the alliance to expand into North and East Africa. I have the feeling that this is going to be a very long Silk Curtain. :D

Still, looking forward to the next update.

I keep getting analysts wrong for some reason. I'll fix it in a bit. As for Kashmir, there's some pretty good explanation behind it.

The region is like an international game of Mexican standoff, as the balance shifts rapidly, each side will be looking for any advantage it can get. Now China and Pakistan have historically shared a cordial relation, despite the tensions in Kashmir. But Pakistan has seen itself as able to stand its own, so it never saw fit to get closer to China until now.

But with China getting a bloody nose after a failed operation (a lucky take-over of a few small outposts, but enough for the proud PLA to claim that they lost a major engagement) caused the Indians to feel threatened enough to fuck with the Pakistani nuclear program, which in turn just throws Pakistan in the extended Chinese hand.

As for the Russians. I have to note that the current situation is pretty much an oversimplification. Because while Russia and Iran are part of different blocks for example, they still have a relationship with eachother, but its going to get a lot colder then OTL. But that is one aspect that will show you that the "Silk Curtain" is not exactly as solid as the media TTL would like to have you believe. But the drums of war are already sounded and the Second Red Scare is a go, so its sort of a self fulfilling prophecy, really.

One possible issue I see is why would either Malaysia or the EAC side with China? Both are very Westernized and pro-West, and in Malaysia's case, wary of the Chinese.

On the other hand, witch China and Pakistan on the same side, looks like India just got forced into the Western camp :D

One possible issue I see is why would either Malaysia or the EAC side with China? Both are very Westernized and pro-West, and in Malaysia's case, wary of the Chinese.

On the other hand, witch China and Pakistan on the same side, looks like India just got forced into the Western camp :D

Malaysia and The EAC would be my quibble too.

I see South Africa enter a much stronger relationship to NATO, along with the more affluent West African states. With the new Asian power bloc, Europe might want to check up on the North African states too.

Last edited:

Malaysia and The EAC would be my quibble too.

I see South Africa enter a much stronger relationship to NATO, along with the more affluent West African states. With the new Asian power bloc, Europe might want to check up on the North African states too.

Valid commentary gentlemen, Malaysia is especially apt. I will remove that, definitely, I am not sure why I put it in initially but I cannot justify it being there.

For the EAC I have a special part that will describe their relationship with China and why they showed interest to the pact and it all has to do with the Great War of Africa, also known as the Congolese war and the west refusing to sanction the Kagame lead activities in Africa, while China extends the economic hand of friendship (without sanctioning Kagame's activities of course). But you are right that them jumping the boat so early is wrong, these developments will occur later. So for the time being i'll remove them as well.

Thanks for the constructive criticism gents, appreciate it. :D

Valid commentary gentlemen, Malaysia is especially apt. I will remove that, definitely, I am not sure why I put it in initially but I cannot justify it being there.

For the EAC I have a special part that will describe their relationship with China and why they showed interest to the pact and it all has to do with the Great War of Africa, also known as the Congolese war and the west refusing to sanction the Kagame lead activities in Africa, while China extends the economic hand of friendship (without sanctioning Kagame's activities of course). But you are right that them jumping the boat so early is wrong, these developments will occur later. So for the time being i'll remove them as well.

Thanks for the constructive criticism gents, appreciate it. :D

No worries - though if China is reaching out for Allies in Africa, rather than the EAC, why not reach out to some spurned Soviet patsies like OTL? Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia, so on and so forth.

IIRC, Apartheid had already gone the way of the dodo at this point in time. If they did the same ITTL, I suggest them getting a lot of Western help updating their armed forces (Brit tanks, American planes and German ships and boats - much like OTL, especially concerning the naval materiel) so they can serve as a foil for any "adventurous" Chinese pup...urhm..."partners".

IIRC, Apartheid had already gone the way of the dodo at this point in time. If they did the same ITTL, I suggest them getting a lot of Western help updating their armed forces (Brit tanks, American planes and German ships and boats - much like OTL, especially concerning the naval materiel) so they can serve as a foil for any "adventurous" Chinese pup...urhm..."partners".

What I plan on South Africa doing is getting money and funding form both sides, while maintaining neutrality officially. That is a tactic that will be mirrored in several states ITTL. In exchange for closing their eyes for the Chinese dipping their fingers in Mozambique and the EAC's intervention in Kongo, they get massive wads of cash and the Chinese building roads all over the place. In exchange for secretly throwing men at the western supported side however, they get massive amounts of weapons, training, re-arming and of course fat stacks of cash from the West as well.

They play a dangerous game, but it will be a winning one if they play their cards right.

No worries - though if China is reaching out for Allies in Africa, rather than the EAC, why not reach out to some spurned Soviet patsies like OTL? Angola, Mozambique, Ethiopia, so on and so forth.

They are reaching out to other places, not just the EAC. Angola will, however, see a re-aligning due to the events in the Congo. But Mozambique and Ethiopia will be very much approached by China. China's problem TTL is that they throw their lots with too many problematic states, which will come to bite them in several of their attempted "friendship building initiatives".

Ethiopia will be an interesting place to watch closely.

Edit: But I am taking suggestions on what countries might join the Chinese sphere by the 2000-2001 which will probably be one of the high points of the "new Cold War"

PKSrRzM.png

###

There is a reason why people were infatuated with the Nile for over centuries, Vlad thought as the helicopter flew very near the water of the river. It was early morning, the few boats and river ships were floating calmly. Several people poked their heads out as the helicopters flew past and then quickly returned where they were.

Vlad felt unease as he saw the outlines of Khartoum, the city was quiet as was expected in the early morning. But almost instantly he saw movement on the ground. "You saw that." he said in his headset and saw one of the pilots nod.

"They know we are here."

"Sir, confirm restricted FOB?" Sokol two's voice came through the intercom. Kovalenkov looked at the pilot who hesitated for a second.

"Restrict fire around the airport. Try and keep civilians alive. No restrictions otherwise." he said in an almost resigned tone. Minutes later a shrieking noise of an alarm filled the cockpit.

"STINGERS" the second pilot yelled as the helicopter swiveled rightwards. The sparkling lights of the countermeasures were reflecting in the river below "Keep to the right bank! Avoid the inhabited areas!" the pilot yelled again as Vlad saw Sokol two fly underneath them and emerge on the left. Another few missiles flew right between the two helicopters, the gunner directed the machine gun to the building from which the last stinger's trail started. The Hind shuddered as the weapon fired a series of rounds into the building, leaving only smoke and dust where the rooftop used to be.

"Sir, Al-Shifa Pharmaceutical Factory in sight!" Sokol Two called out on the intercom.
"Alright everyone, I want you out in under 30 seconds as we land."

Vlad walked back to his seat, checking his gun. He felt the helicopter descent quickly and shortly afterwards, the doors slid open. The soldiers jumped out and the helicopters flew up almost instantly. As Vlad pointed his weapon towards all corners of the rooftop to confirm there is nobody around, he heard the Hind's gun stutter to life above him.

"GAS MASKS ON!"

"MOVE" he yelled. In the air, the pilot commanded, but here, he was the boss. The men instantly snapped into movement, one kicked the closest shaft's entrance in, another rolled a flash-bang inside. As the flash bang exploded they slid through the small opening. Vlad was third, he saw the man below him fall to the ground and roll forward, he landed on his feet and rolled sideways then aimed his gun rightwards. A shadowy clocked figure tried to jump towards cover, but Vlad fired several rounds in the figure, causing it to collapse.

"CONTACT" he yelled "TARGET DOWN."
"CONTACT" he heard another of his men yell as unleashed a burst on yet another figure.

"Spread to cover." Vlad ordered as he slid forward to a large pile of powder. He could hear his breath in his ears due to the gas mask. Bursts were coming from all over the building now, so Vlad was having a hard time tracking his men. The lights were off, and the place was big. Vlad noticed a power switch somewhere on the side, with the bullets ricocheting around him he yelled "COVER ME" and ran for it as soon as the firing stopped. He heard the bullets bounce around him but then he heard bursts form his own boys which quickly silenced whoever was firing at him. He jumped over the cover right in-front of the light switch only to see a man with a gun hiding there. Instinctively he grabbed the man before he can fire at him and pulled him close to his body, putting a newly drawn pistol to the head of the man.

"I HAVE A HOSTAGE" he yelled, the bearded man was yelling something in Arabic which made Vlad push the gun to his head even more. "SHUT THE FUCK UP". Kovalenkov smashed the switch with his elbow and the whole room lit up. The firing was already dying down. A fair percentage of the enemy was dead, those alive were aiming at the agent, but not daring to shoot.

Someone spoke out in very bad English "Release."
Vlad yelled back at him "What's your name!?"
"A-a-abdul." the man continued nervously "Release."
"Where are the weapons, Abdul. You tell me that and I let you all out alive."
"You stop no. Jihad has begun."
"Lets try that again..." Vlad whispered to himself as he pushed the gun against the man's head again "...WHERE ARE THE WEAPONS."
"Ethiopia. America and Russia will horror. The great devils suffer."
"Fuck..." Vlad yelled out "Shoot him." instantly the room filled with the sound of gunfire as his men opened holes in the remaining jihadists' bodies. He was going to take the man he was holding with him.

"Blow this place sky high. Fedorov..." he yelled in the intercom "The weapons are in Ethiopia. Warn the government. We have to blow the whistle, we missed the guns."

"Motherfucker... hurry up with that place, we need to get the fuck out."

"...the American and Russian embassies in Ethiopia were hit with a massive chemical attack yesterday, prompting fears all over the world and leading to a tightening of security. More then 200 are presumed dead and many more wounded due to the attacks.

Al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility for the attack with its leader, Osama Bin Laden releasing a large statement, warning against the crusaders and infidels' involvement in the middle east. He has pointed towards the "great devils (America and Russia), the atheists and apostates (China and Iran) as responsible for this.

News are arriving that one of Osama's top commanders, however, Mohammed Atef Al-Masri, was captured in Khartoum after a Russian raid on the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory. Other members of Al-Qaeda, including the suspected masterminds of the operation, Sheikh Ahmed Salim Swedan and Khalfan Khamis Mohamed have perished in the fighting. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China and Islamic Republic of Iran have issued a joint deceleration, with the United Nations Security Council passing Resolution 1189 condemning the attacks on the embassies..."

###​

Oh dear, this is going to be fun then. Well, I suppose we'll see whether Bin Laden has a more successful run than OTL, and if he'll be able to use the Cold War to play both sides off of each other and further his own agenda.