O Nosso Reino-A Timeline of Portugal

Getting a bit tired of writing post-1900 TLs, I was busy doing something else when I wondered about doing something new. In my timelines before I've primarily tackled France, Belgium, Germany, Italy and Britain. But I fancy a change.

So, this new TL will start from a medieval point. On the 4th August 1578 IOTL, King Sebastian (Sebastiao) of Portugal died at the Battle of Alcazarquivir, between Tangiers and Fez. He had ignored his advisors and ploughed inland to meet up with the militia of Mohammed II Saadi, his ally and the deposed King of Morocco. Thence he was slain by Abd Al-Malik, Saadi;s usurper, and never seen again. But, a legend arose that he had not died and would return-this was even popular in Brazil in the 19th Century.

So, quite simply, the POD is this: Sebastian listens. I'm not sure if this has been done before (I couldn't find an example at any rate), but this is my take on what might have been. I look forward to your thoughts!

Sebastian's Choice

"Sire, we are grateful that you hold our advice in such esteem. We assure you that it shall not have been in vain".

Although irritated by their insistence, Sebastian, the 24-year-old King of Portugal and the Algarves, was willing to listen to his advisors every so often. On reflection, a charge into the desert was a bad idea. If he stayed by the coast and built a bridgehead, then things would be easier to supply.

In this God-foresaken part of the world [1], he was at the head of a ragged army mainly made up of Dutch, German and English mercenaries. They were in no way ready to fight their way through the desert to take on the warriors of his opponent, Abd Al-Malik, usurper King of Morocco.

It was 4th August, 1578. A great battle was to take place soon: Sebastian could tell. As he looked from the coast towards the inland settlement of Alcazarquivir, he realised that he was making the right decision. With his ships anchored nearby and cannon being brought ashore, here was where he would stand and fight.

[1] Near modern-day Barga

Thande

Donor
I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but you might want to check out Gonzaga's ongoing "A New Portugal" TL which also centres around this scenario...

I'm not sure if it's exactly the same, but you might want to check out Gonzaga's ongoing "A New Portugal" TL which also centres around this scenario...

I've only very recently read Gonzaga's TL (which is excellent) but I had already written down some ideas by the time I did, so it's not my aim to copy at all!

This is actually a different POD and will go in a different direction. In Gonzaga's TL, Sebastian is captured at Ksar el-Kebir: in mine, the battle will never occur.

Sight in the Sands

On the 8th August 1578, shortly after dawn, Sebastian gathered his military leaders and advisors together. A British mercenary, Thomas Stukley, had brought him news that Abd Al-Malik's forces had crushed Mohammed II Saadi's militia near Alcazarquivir and were heading west to confront him. It was indeed true- a few of Saadi's men, less than a dozen, had fled to join the Portuguese out of fear of reprisal. At Sebastian's insistence, all had converted to Catholicism to save their flesh, rather than their souls.

"Have all cannon from the ships brought ashore. Bring some of the sailors onshore to fire them. Build rudimentary earthworks, anything. We will stand here before God to face down the Infidel".

Sebastian put Sancho de Santa Maria de Tovar, son of the famed Sancho de Tovar, in charge of the defences. Meanwhile, a detachment of Dutch mercenaries was sent out to observe Al-Malik's army.

I've only very recently read Gonzaga's TL (which is excellent) but I had already written down some ideas by the time I did, so it's not my aim to copy at all!

This is actually a different POD and will go in a different direction. In Gonzaga's TL, Sebastian is captured at Ksar el-Kebir: in mine, the battle will never occur.

Thanks!;)

And no problem at all about having the same subject. It's good to see how different history could become from different POD's on the same point. But I'll PM you to show my ideas of how different the world will become, to compare with yours, and try to not repeat. Also, if you need some help with Portuguese language or Portuguese/Brazilian history, please PM me!

Thanks!;)

And no problem at all about having the same subject. It's good to see how different history could become from different POD's on the same point. But I'll PM you to show my ideas of how different the world will become, to compare with yours, and try to not repeat. Also, if you need some help with Portuguese language or Portuguese/Brazilian history, please PM me!

Just taken you up on your kind invitation and dropped you a message :)

Battle Joined

The vanguard of Dutch mercenaries encountered the Moroccans for the first time on the evening of the 8th August 1578, and it was not a pleasant meeting. The Dutchmen lost at least 40 of the 60 men in the detachment, and a similar number of Abd Al-Malik's men were killed too. The remaining and wounded Westerners fled for the coast.

At around 1a.m., Sebastian ordered all of his troops to be roused and ready. Abd Al-Malik and his men were closing in- the injured Dutch and native outriders had seen their approach.

The battle is recorded as beginning shortly after dawn. A surprise attack from the northern flank threw the Portuguese back in shock, but they rallied after the artillery battered the advancing Moroccans. One Portuguese caravel's enterprising captain sailed up the coastline and fired upon the Moroccans as they poured against Sebastian's lines.

The battle raged through the day, and the earth turned red. On the beach and inland, it was hand-to-hand stuff. By noon, it was bad enough that the artillery had given up, and one cannon had actually exploded.

But the tide was turning in Sebastian's favour. As the afternoon progressed, he pulled his men back to the beach. Abd Al-Malik was confused by this move- a last stand? Getting out of his litter, the Sultan personally directed his men into battle. He decided to unleash the cavalry.

But as he did, the artillery began again.

Will this lead to an independent Portugal during the rule of the Philipes in Spain? If so there would be big diferences in the Armada the Spanish sent to attack England (a big part of it was composed by Portuguese ships). Also without the merging of the two Iberian Kingdoms the Netherlands would divert their effort against Spanish colonies and not the Portuguese ones (like in OTL).

That's revolting. What kind of person deems that an appropriate post, and feels the need to ruin someone elses TL?