O, Columbia: A Wikibox Timeline

CHAPTER I: Washington's Failure & Adams' Counsel

In 1775, many colonists in British America, driven by the unfair taxes paid to Britain, revolted against the motherland. The military branch of this secessionist force was the Continental Army, led by General Washington. Although Washington's tactics showed promise, the Continental Army's defeat near Trenton in late 1776 sealed the rebellion's fate. Washington's men stayed on the defensive for a year, slowly losing territory.
Eventually, the Continental Congress dissolved in November, 1777, and Washington was defeated and hanged a month later.

G0ckEIr.png

In January, 1778, a contingent of former rebels, led by John Adams, went to London and signed a peace treaty with Britain. They agreed that the Thirteen Colonies would stay loyal to the Crown, but these surrendering rebels were pardoned - unlike the Jeffersonians, who fled into the west, but were hunted down by 1785.

In 1779-80, the House of Commons authorized several men to visit British America and record recommendations on how to avoid future discontent in the colonies. It was recommended that the governors of the colonies be chosen from the populace, so as to encourage a sense of solidarity between the leadership and the common man. It was suggested, also, that limited self-government be instituted, but this latter recommendation was dismissed.
However, several colonial-born governors were appointed, the first being John Adams himself, who was made Governor of Massachusetts in 1783.

SwhGt0d.jpg

In the 1790s, Adams made an unofficial alliance with several other governors for a common goal. Adams had not forgotten his rebel ideals and wanted to see British America slowly earn increasing autonomy from the Crown.
This seed, first planted by Adams and his small group of associates, would blossom into a more independent British America and, eventually, the great nation of Columbia.

Last edited:
Nice work. I highly doubt the war is gonna be called the American Revolutionary War. It's probably going to be something like "American Revolt".

Interesting beginning...

Thanks for the support:)
Honestly, I was inspired to write this because I'm tired of British America TLs where the US not being formed is depicted as utterly disastrous for the entire world. As a Canadian, I like to think I don't bring as much cultural baggage to the table as an American - or at least, not of the same kind.

Thanks for the support:)
Honestly, I was inspired to write this because I'm tired of British America TLs where the US not being formed is depicted as utterly disastrous for the entire world. As a Canadian, I like to think I don't bring as much cultural baggage to the table as an American - or at least, not of the same kind.

Did my fellows at the Illuminati relocate you to Kiev then?

How does this America deal with the Slave Trade Act 1807 and slavery Abolition Act 1833?

Also how does John Adams survive 18 years as the democratically elected governor? Did John Hancock, Thomas Cushing, James Bowdoin or Samuel Adams, not stand against him?

How does this America deal with the Slave Trade Act 1807 and slavery Abolition Act 1833?

Also how does John Adams survive 18 years as the democratically elected governor? Did John Hancock, Thomas Cushing, James Bowdoin or Samuel Adams, not stand against him?

He's not elected, he was appointed by the British but is beholden to an elected legislature. Did you honestly think the British would institute democratic rule instantly?:eek:

And on the subject of the Abolition Act, there are several uprisings in the South in 1833-34, the largest of which was led by ex-frontiersman Andrew Jackson.

He's not elected, he was appointed by the British but is beholden to an elected legislature. Did you honestly think the British would institute democratic rule instantly?:eek:

And on the subject of the Abolition Act, there are several uprisings in the South in 1833-34, the largest of which was led by ex-frontiersman Andrew Jackson.

Sorry my bad, read it to quickly :eek: Why is he not called Governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay or even Royal Governor of Massachusetts

Wow, Andrew Jackson as the new Revolutionary hero.

Chapter II

Chapter II: Boston Rules & The Planter Uprisings

During the 1780s, Governor Adams formulated a semi-democratic system which we implemented in Massachusetts in 1786. Although he himself was not elected, he formed the Massachusetts Assembly, a council of forty elected legislators who would approve the governor's laws and had the power to dismiss the governor with a two-thirds majority vote of no confidence.
In the early 1800s, more colonies adopted the system, namely the New England colonies, New York, and Upper Canada. This appointed-governor, elected-legislature system became known as Boston Rules in political circles, and was seen as a valid compromise between the motherland and the colonists.
But tension boiled up again in 1807, with the Slave Trade Act being met with resentment by Southern planters, who saw it as an infringement of their rights. This led to the beginning of the Southern autonomy movement, however, the Slave Trade Act was still grudgingly enforced.

In the 1820s, Southern autonomist and frontiersman Andrew Jackson settled in Alabama and started to publish anti-British broadsides. After his makeshift newspaper was closed by the governor, he still printed illegal pamphlets from his home. He gradually built a gang of several dozen men with similar anti-British views.
In 1833, the Abolition Act was passed in Westminster and expected to be enforced in British America. Many rural Southerners, already angry at a distant government telling them what to do, were outraged. In Alabama, these men were a lightning-rod for Andrew Jackson and his comrades' anti-British, anti-Northern rhetoric. In September of 1833, he gathered a militia of over 1,200 men and raided the governor's mansion. After shooting the governor and ransacking his residence, the rebels fled into the countryside. They played a cat-and-mouse game with a larger force of men commanded by Jonathan Arnold, famed officer Benedict Arnold's younger son. And all the while, several small-scale uprisings were taking place across Georgia and Alabama.

PHHWTLf.png

In January, 1834, Jackson's force was defeated. Jackson himself was executed, an event which led most of the other rebel bands to surrender.

After the so-called Planter Uprisings, members of the British government became convinced that direct control of the colonies had become too much trouble, and that a mostly autonomous British America would be less worrisome for Westminster.
Meanwhile, two powerful men, one in Boston and one in Montreal, were pushing for autonomy. Their names were John Quincy Adams and Louis-Joseph Papineau.

Chapter III: Federation, Reform, and Republicanism

In the late 1830s, two distinct movements clamoured for autonomy from the Crown. The first was the moderate reform movement, which sought to make Columbia an autonomous dominion affiliated with the UK. Reformists drew support from liberal royalists across British America.
On the radical end was the republican movement. Boasting fanatical members in New England and Lower Canada, the republicans wanted to disassociate Columbia (a commonly accepted name for the proposed nation) from the British monarchy and form a republic.
In 1839, the New York Conference brought the issue of independence to the table. Fifty-six representatives came, two from each of the twenty-eight colonies of British America. They brought the nature of independence to a vote, with the choices being republicanism and dominion. Dominion won out with thirty-two votes to twenty-four, and this signalled the beginning of a united battle for autonomy.
John Quincy Adams, son of the Boston Rules' inventor, championed the moderates and had to promote a compromise between the pro-centralization and states' rights wings of the reform movement, proposing a federal state. Backed by the reformists, Adams hammered out the specifics of the new Columbian nation in the Richmond Conference in 1840-41.
Finally, in 1842, the British America Act was submitted and passed through the House of Commons. This established the nation of Columbia, a federation of twenty-eight states unified under the Crown and the federal government in New York.

YZQ7J9K.png

In 1842, the first federal election took place. Despite the relatively low turnout, there was great anticipation of the results. The Conservatives under Adams himself took a bare majority of 109 out 200 seats, with the runner-up being the Republican Party under French-Columbian politician Louis-Joseph Papineau, with 80 seats. An unexpected faction, the Southern nationalists under John C. Calhoun, claimed 11 Southern seats.
That winter, the first government of Columbia was called into session.