Northern Star, a timeline with a united Scandinavia

I like your writing, it sounds plausible.

I´d suggest you take the compromise solution and later on change it into the best case scenario, just gradually through 1-2 centuries. If the nobility of Norway Sweden and Denmark interacts and intermarries you won´t have much difference culturally between them

That is the general idea, yes. The tricky part is to flesh it out... :p :D

Suggestion:
The idea of scandinavians eventually settling Canada or east coast USA is nice, and often used. (or atleast pondered upon).

IMHO the population base is just to small. There will be changes in North America, but dont expect to see a Scandinavian Empire there... :)

How about letting them be more interested in European matters. In fact the shortsighted monarchs of Denmark were usually trying to get rid of Iceland offering to sell it to Britain on numerous occasions. (Even the Hansa league at some point). Iceland isn´t though completely insignificant since it supplies a whole lot of fish, which was very valuable in the middle ages during the fast.
How about the king of England actully accepting Iceland in exchange for something. (Maybe as a dowry?) and letting the union focus on the Baltic sea, Russia and Germany.

Sorry but Im planning the quite opposite. IMHO the key to succes is to stay the hell out of Germany and keep Icland as a key initial stepstone for a maritime power. Baltic and parts of Russia, yes. But Germany is a definite no no... :)

Actually the nobility of Sweden and Denmark did interact and intermarry and did hold estates in both countries through war and peace until 1660 or so. Only then did things change and some of the nobility chose to be Swedish others to be Danish. But they preferred to have the countries split to being able to act as independently as possible in each country, forcing the king not to be able to rule it all as one kingdom.
The peasants and town citizens were not the peoples of the kingdom but the subjects of the King. The national state and feeling of nationality is still far away.

You are quite right, but in 1397 the nobility in all countries had a genuine interest in the union. That is why the KU was possibel OTL.

The trick is to keep it together long enough to make it stick :)

It's possible that with the Kingdom united the Scandinavian languages will simply be seen as dialects of one language- I suppose Danish would be the presige dialect because the monarchs are Danish.

Well Olav IV is actualy most Norwegian :)

But since Norway clearly is the weaker part, that wont last long... :(

Well Olav IV is actualy most Norwegian :)

But since Norway clearly is the weaker part, that wont last long... :(
Hm, well... the capital is in Denmark, though, isn't it? Roskilde, I think... (Or was it Copenhagen by this time?)

Sorry but Im planning the quite opposite. IMHO the key to succes is to stay the hell out of Germany and keep Icland as a key initial stepstone for a maritime power. Baltic and parts of Russia, yes. But Germany is a definite no no... :)

You're right - absolutely. Stay out of German matters. With no pop. surplus there is no way to play it big with the Germans. We tried... Go anywhere else, have fun in the Baltic and Russia but don't get involved in Germany.

IMHO the population base is just to small. There will be changes in North America, but dont expect to see a Scandinavian Empire there...

Sorry but Im planning the quite opposite. IMHO the key to succes is to stay the hell out of Germany and keep Iceland as a key initial stepstone for a maritime power. Baltic and parts of Russia, yes.

But after you get the Baltic, parts of Russia or possibly Poland, you have a sufficient Population base and by going for Germany then, you could make it even bigger: Sweden was quite succesfull in the thirty years war, now your Scandinavian empire would have a lot more ressources to fight the Germans down there! Thus, in 1648, you could have an Empire in Northern Germany (Pommerany, Mecklenburg, Lower Saxony, Brandenburg...) - just in Time for colonizing North America. Or you could be elected as Holy German emperor - heading a victorious Protestant alliance, for example.

On the other side, if you start colonizing America earlier, you could have established some colonies there by 1550 with sufficient population to prevent English or French colonization. Add a bit of religious freedom in your empire, and the religious fugitives of Europe would aim to "New Sweden", "New Denmark" and your other colonies to mix up with the Population which already settles there.

Do you have any plans about Scotland? As far as I know, Norway had already some Islands there: Shetland, Orkney, Hebrides, Man. Should be a couple of years earlier, though.

I´ve long been thinking about a TL where Scotland merges with Norway. It´s not impossible, difficult though.

It´d be difficult and probably cause wars between England and KU, and possibly rebellions in Scotland.

But it´d be interesting.

Redbeard

Banned
If you establish a strong Baltic entity with intense economic relations, the population eqation will be changed too - easily with a factor 2 or 3.

So where the Nordic and Baltic countries in OTL today have appr. 30-32 mill. inhabitants my guesstimate is that they after some centuries of prosperous economic relations can be 60-90 mill people (based on population densities of commercially active but not especially fertile areas). It will start in the trading cities like Reval, Riga, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Bergen but will then spread to the surrounding rural areas as the prospering cities need food supplies and labour - space will never be short, but a lot of the forrested areas in the Baltic countries and the Scandinavian penninsula will be populated and Denmark will have a population density approaching that of Netherlands.

All in all you need not, for that reason, avoid rolling over Germany. In fact I think it will be very difficult to avoid being an actor on the German scene. Staying away will probably be much more dangerous than interferring. Remember we do not start with a united Germany but with a lot of small and divided but wealthy entities. A demarkation line will of course have to be drawn towards the Emperor, but basically the Scandinavians take the role of Prussia in 18th century, or reinforcing that of Gustav Adolph in the 17th.

If you go for a mainly maritime power England will be THE problem. The Scandinavians need to interfere heavily (and successfully) in British matters, like keeping a Scottish and later Irish thorn in the flesh of England. Netherlands could be a good ally too, but "for hostilities only ". Afterwards they will have to meet in a finale.

All in all I think there is a better chance of finding a equilibrum with lots of room for Scandinavian influence in Germany than in Britain, but a personal union between Scandinavia and England/GB at some time (how about replacing the Hanoverians by Scandinavians) would make this interesting, but also risking to go out of control... :D

But to follow that line the ULTIMATE scenario would be the boosted Baltic area (60-90 mill), North Germany (25 mill), Netherlands (15 mill), British Isles (65 mill) - all in all 165-195 mill. at around 2000. Now that is a population base, to which you could add possible "Dominions" like Canada, Australia etc... :D

Today this fiord, tomorrow the WORLD!!! (evil laughter while slamming the mead mug hard into the table and pinching the backside of the nearest female trael)

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

NB: The rest of the world might take it easy, we are not comming to get you - yet.

But after you get the Baltic, parts of Russia or possibly Poland, you have a sufficient Population base and by going for Germany then, you could make it even bigger: Sweden was quite succesfull in the thirty years war, now your Scandinavian empire would have a lot more ressources to fight the Germans down there! Thus, in 1648, you could have an Empire in Northern Germany (Pommerany, Mecklenburg, Lower Saxony, Brandenburg...) - just in Time for colonizing North America. Or you could be elected as Holy German emperor - heading a victorious Protestant alliance, for example.

On the other side, if you start colonizing America earlier, you could have established some colonies there by 1550 with sufficient population to prevent English or French colonization. Add a bit of religious freedom in your empire, and the religious fugitives of Europe would aim to "New Sweden", "New Denmark" and your other colonies to mix up with the Population which already settles there.

All these "twists" could very wel be a part of a TL. They would lead to a large empire, somthing that Im not looking after.

Do you have any plans about Scotland? As far as I know, Norway had already some Islands there: Shetland, Orkney, Hebrides, Man. Should be a couple of years earlier, though.

Hebrides and Man are already lost by 1397 but Orkney and Shetland are still Norwegian provinces. And yes, I do have plans for them... ;) :)

If you establish a strong Baltic entity with intense economic relations, the population eqation will be changed too - easily with a factor 2 or 3.

So where the Nordic and Baltic countries in OTL today have appr. 30-32 mill. inhabitants my guesstimate is that they after some centuries of prosperous economic relations can be 60-90 mill people (based on population densities of commercially active but not especially fertile areas). It will start in the trading cities like Reval, Riga, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Bergen but will then spread to the surrounding rural areas as the prospering cities need food supplies and labour - space will never be short, but a lot of the forrested areas in the Baltic countries and the Scandinavian penninsula will be populated and Denmark will have a population density approaching that of Netherlands.

All in all you need not, for that reason, avoid rolling over Germany. In fact I think it will be very difficult to avoid being an actor on the German scene. Staying away will probably be much more dangerous than interferring. Remember we do not start with a united Germany but with a lot of small and divided but wealthy entities. A demarkation line will of course have to be drawn towards the Emperor, but basically the Scandinavians take the role of Prussia in 18th century, or reinforcing that of Gustav Adolph in the 17th.

If you go for a mainly maritime power England will be THE problem. The Scandinavians need to interfere heavily (and successfully) in British matters, like keeping a Scottish and later Irish thorn in the flesh of England. Netherlands could be a good ally too, but "for hostilities only ". Afterwards they will have to meet in a finale.

All in all I think there is a better chance of finding a equilibrum with lots of room for Scandinavian influence in Germany than in Britain, but a personal union between Scandinavia and England/GB at some time (how about replacing the Hanoverians by Scandinavians) would make this interesting, but also risking to go out of control... :D

But to follow that line the ULTIMATE scenario would be the boosted Baltic area (60-90 mill), North Germany (25 mill), Netherlands (15 mill), British Isles (65 mill) - all in all 165-195 mill. at around 2000. Now that is a population base, to which you could add possible "Dominions" like Canada, Australia etc... :D

Today this fiord, tomorrow the WORLD!!! (evil laughter while slamming the mead mug hard into the table and pinching the backside of the nearest female trael)

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

NB: The rest of the world might take it easy, we are not comming to get you - yet.

Im sorry Redbeard, but like I said to Homer, Im not heading towards a large empire.

Those who enjoys large ATL empires and lots of wars will be sadly disapointed with my TL :eek:

My writing is probably to hung up in minor details and obsessed with plausibility, but I do intend to take this TL further. Even tough it will be slow.

Im trying to get a new smal part ready during the weekend. I have mostly made up my mind, justs have to get the time to write it down...

Þræl. HAHAHA

Or actually Ambatt, sincet Þræll is the masculine.

:Þ hahahhaa

You should probably concentrate on the compromise scenario first...can't really down grade an established kingdom. Hold on to Iceland to keep the line of communication open accorss the Atlantic...and the abundant supplies of fish. the United kingdoms which should eventually evolve in a century or so should be well placed to exert influence in the North German duchiesbut I am not so certain out right control would be desirable in the early going....though they should be able to act decicively in defense of the Livonian knights and keep both the Russians and the Poles out....let the Grandmaster become a Duke of kurland or perhaps Livonia, Estland and Kurland in total ( as a Gd Duchy ). the trick of course will be keeping the Russians away from the Gulf of Finland. That will likely be a flashpoint then between the United kdms of Scandinavia and Russia. They can also act more forcefully as defenders of Lutheranism, should it still arise in this ATL. Just don't look to be incorporating any of the german terr. into the kingdom in anything but the loosest fashion I would think.

You should probably concentrate on the compromise scenario first...can't really down grade an established kingdom. Hold on to Iceland to keep the line of communication open accorss the Atlantic...and the abundant supplies of fish. the United kingdoms which should eventually evolve in a century or so should be well placed to exert influence in the North German duchiesbut I am not so certain out right control would be desirable in the early going....though they should be able to act decicively in defense of the Livonian knights and keep both the Russians and the Poles out....let the Grandmaster become a Duke of kurland or perhaps Livonia, Estland and Kurland in total ( as a Gd Duchy ). the trick of course will be keeping the Russians away from the Gulf of Finland. That will likely be a flashpoint then between the United kdms of Scandinavia and Russia. They can also act more forcefully as defenders of Lutheranism, should it still arise in this ATL. Just don't look to be incorporating any of the german terr. into the kingdom in anything but the loosest fashion I would think.

The good thing about the Baltic is the presence of pagans making good relations with the Holy See and because of that a steady influx of western Knights and others seeking absolution by going on crusade/peregrinate. Not only troops but craftsmen, traders and everybody else needed to build a lasting society.
So get a castle or more in the Baltic and start the papal approved crusader/pagan hunting tourism. Life is wonderfull.

New chapter

1396:
In February the time limit for Albrecht’s ransom is reached. He is unable to comply and King Olav IV quickly demands the control of Stockholm. Initially the Hanseatic League tries to tie this to changes in the trading privilege. But King Olav IV does not budge. By referring to the Treaty of Bohus and threatening to ask the Holy Roman Emperor for meditation, the Hanseatic League reluctantly yields the city in late May.

Even tough King Olav IV already have achieved the status as de facto king in all the three kingdoms, a formal coronation have yet not taken place. With the last missing piece of land (besides Gotland) now secured, the time has come.

Thus in late June the stage is set for a unique moment in Scandinavian history: A meeting is convened in the city of Kalmar, with the intent to crown King Olav IV as the king of all three kingdoms and to issue the accompanying official documents.

Present in Kalmar we find Queen Margrethe I, King Olav IV, the Archbishops of Lund, Uppsala & Trondheim, 12 Prelates, 17 Norwegian, 22 Danish and 27 Swedish nobles. Naturally the various dignitaries have different views on the future status of and between the three kingdoms. Also the relationship between the king and the aristocracy is a matter of initially dispute. Besides national representatives there also are dignitaries from the Hanseatic League and the Teutonic Knights present.

Simplified there are two views of how it should be, the “three noble kingdoms” and the “unified kingdom;”

The “noble kingdoms” is preferred by parts of the aristocracy, and can be described by the following attributes:

• Three separate kingdoms, but they share the same king
  • The Kingdom of Denmark & the Kingdom of Sweden becomes hereditary
  • Finland continues as a Swedish duchy and
    the Atlantic possessions continues as Norwegian provinces
  • Three separate Privy councils
  • The three kingdoms have separate laws and such
  • Taxes & declaration of war has to be approved by each Privy councils
  • Trade and foreign policy are the privilege of the king
  • The Privy Councils approves province governors and they have to be native dignitaries
The crown naturally prefers the ”unified kingdom:”

• The Union Kingdom of Scandia
  • Hereditary Monarchy
  • The former kingdoms are turned into duchies, the king is also duke
  • Finland and the Atlantic possessions becomes provinces,
    both directly under the crown
  • One Privy council with at least x dignitaries from each duchy
  • (The Union share laws and such)
  • Taxes & declaration of war has to be approved by the Privy council
  • The King appoints province governors, but they have to be native dignitaries
King Olav IV is already appointed king in all three kingdoms, and the nobles view a coronation as mandatory. The crown uses this to force the nobility into negotiations by demanding a signed and sealed letter of union before any coronation is done. After two weeks of discussions and meditations from the clergy a compromise is finally reached:

The Kalmar Union

• Three separate kingdoms, but they share the same union king
  • The Kingdom of Denmark & the Kingdom of Sweden becomes hereditary, following Norwegian hereditary laws
  • Finland stays a duchy and the Atlantic possessions becomes provinces,
    both directly under the crown
  • One Union Privy council with at least 10 dignitaries from each kingdom
  • The three kingdoms share new laws and such. If they diverges from old law they will have to be approved by the Privy Council
  • Taxes & declaration of war has to be approved by the Privy council
  • The King appoints province governors, but they have to be native dignitaries

With the letter of Union sign and sealed by all the present clergy and nobility from all three kingdoms, the coronation finally can take place. So on the 16th of July King Olav IV is crowned as King of all three Scandinavian Kingdoms in one ceremony.

There are also meetings with dignitaries from the League and the Knights. Towards the Knights the issue of Gotland is raised, but the overture is flatly refused. The League tries, as usual, to expand their trading privileges, but King Olav IV is not willing to go further than the treaty of Bohus. With the Atlantic Provinces and Finland now crown land, the League quite contrary is told that the treaty no longer covers those lands.

1397:
With internal peace, King Olav IV sets his eyes to foreign matters. In Slesvig the Germans are beyond the Union’s capabilities and on Gotland the Teutonic Knights is too strong. In the Scandinavian/Baltic trade there are the Hanseatic League, England and the Dutch competing, but of these three only the League represent any threats at moment. In the Atlantic Provinces Scotland have a keen eye on the Orkneys. Finland on the opposite side of the Union, is bordering large areas with little or none population. All of these northeastern lands are highly disputed with the Novgorod Republic.

The king expands his own trading company, by now named the Royal Scandic Trading Company (RSTC). To not further provoke the Hanseatic League and to get a powerful allied regarding Novgorod, Finland is added to the Bohus treaty.

Two existing castles are strengthened: Viborg Castle on the Karelian Isthmus and Vardøhus Castle in Finnmark. New governors accompanied with small detachments of soldiers are sent to all four provinces in the Atlantic.

Queen Margrethe I continues the reductions, and also works hard with the management of the crown controlled provinces. Even tough the reductions encompass the whole society, the higher strata in both the nobility and church is so far less touched than the lower. The church is also often compensated by other means. The Bridgettine Order, who Queen Margrethe I has a long relationship with, is particularly beneficial.

On Gotland, the Teutonic Order “buys” the island from its former master Albrecht.

1398:
Margareta Karlsdotter gives birth to a daughter, King Olav IV first born to live. The girl is named Birgitta, after Saint Birgitta the founder of the Bridgettine Order.

The Atlantic Trading Company is founded in Bergen. Equipped with royal charter, they will do trade on the Atlantic Provinces and in the White Sea area.

1399:
In Finland the Bridgettine order is granted a large real estate in the southern part. A monastery is built at a location named Helsingfors.

1400:
The Bishop of Roskilde returns to the crown all pawned provinces in his possession. In return he is granted a new pawned province, Falsterbo with the accompanying Scania Market. One of the provinces returned is Copenhagen, and from now on the royal court is located here.

1401:
In May the heir of King Olav IV is born. He is named Haakon.

Pope in Rome concedes the privilege of appointing high-ranking clergy to the union crown. A request to transfer the Orkneys and Shetland to the Archbishopric of Nidaros is denied.

1404:
Gerhard, The Duke of Slesvig and Count of Holstein dies. He leaves three minor sons and a wife. Queen Margrethe I acts fast, and with surprising ease manages to get King Olav IV appointed as the guardian of the three minors. She then launches a reduction in Slesvig also; real estates are acquired both as security for loans and as ordinary transactions.

The Province of Falsterbo is bought back, and with it the lucrative Scania Market.

I have written something similar (Eternal Scandinavia about a page back in this forum) which no one have cared to reply unto. :(

Anyways, even if Grip sounds as a perfect match, you can instead consider this:

If Olav IV survives and Denmark don't interfere in Sweden and let Albrecht consolidate his powers you could then marry Olav IV and Rikardis of Sweden and Mecklenburg.

After Rikardis brother's death, she would inherit Mecklenburg and Sweden while Olav would recieve Norway and Denmark at Margarethe's death.

So suddenly you got a pretty nice union without any warefare to have been done at all.

---

Then in my timeline Margarethe died. Then after her death Olav died childless with Rikardis gaining power.

With her marrying and recieving children with any likely Norwegian successor the throne would be secure for quite a while and under Swedish superiority.

With then Danish interferance in Germany they recieved major problems and had to ask the rest of the union for help, which was recieved in exchange for being incorporated into greater Sweden.

Until the 16th century northern Germany, Denmark, Norway and parts of Novgord was incorporated into the union.

in the 16th century the ideas of Christian turns real by the recolonisation of Greenland and beyond (Which would be the start of a Swedish colonisation of Canada way before England reaching Canada's shores).

Then the rest can be read in my TL until 1936 there I ask for help for likely borders etc for the reality I have created.

Sadly I don't recieve any help here. :(

Anyways, even if Grip sounds as a perfect match, you can instead consider this:

If Olav IV survives and Denmark don't interfere in Sweden and let Albrecht consolidate his powers you could then marry Olav IV and Rikardis of Sweden and Mecklenburg.

After Rikardis brother's death, she would inherit Mecklenburg and Sweden while Olav would recieve Norway and Denmark at Margarethe's death.

So suddenly you got a pretty nice union without any warefare to have been done at all.

That road would lead to plenty of warfare. Albrecht was not actualy the most popular Swedish king. And his try for consolidation is what lead to the KU and Margrethes rise to power OTL.

Then in my timeline Margarethe died. Then after her death Olav died childless with Rikardis gaining power.

With her marrying and recieving children with any likely Norwegian successor the throne would be secure for quite a while and under Swedish superiority.

With then Danish interferance in Germany they recieved major problems and had to ask the rest of the union for help, which was recieved in exchange for being incorporated into greater Sweden.

Until the 16th century northern Germany, Denmark, Norway and parts of Novgord was incorporated into the union.

in the 16th century the ideas of Christian turns real by the recolonisation of Greenland and beyond (Which would be the start of a Swedish colonisation of Canada way before England reaching Canada's shores).

Then the rest can be read in my TL until 1936 there I ask for help for likely borders etc for the reality I have created.¨

Yes I have read your TL, but as you know did not reply to it. I just did not like it, and I usualy do not post negative comments, and that is why I did not reply to your TL. Sorry :eek:

I have written something similar (Eternal Scandinavia about a page back in this forum) which no one have cared to reply unto. :(

Sadly I don't recieve any help here. :(

Well I guess we cant force anyone to comment. Look, its not like mine TL is flooded with comments either. Mainly a few die hard Scandinavians... :rolleyes: :D

You just have to be patient and keep going. Hopefully someone will eventualy find it interesting.

Last edited:
Well I guess we cant force anyone to comment. Look, its not like mine TL is flooded with comments either. Mainly a few die hard Scandinavians... :rolleyes: :D

You just have to be patient and keep going. Hopefully someone will eventualy find it interesting.
Not exactly that I was after ;)

Rather that someone would help me out by answering those questions at the end of the TL.

That road would lead to plenty of warfare. Albrecht was not actualy the most popular Swedish king. And his try for consolidation is what lead to the KU and Margrethes rise to power OTL.

Is it possible to get more warfare then IRL?

Albrecht wouldn't be removed from his position as he had support from the Hansa and if Denmark, Sweden and Norway could be united with Sweden as superior I doubt there would be as much rebellions as it was with Danish superiority

(As:
*that it is much harder and more expensive to have the warfare on the southern front then in Novgorod so with Swedish superioriy the taxes wouldn't be needed to be raised as much as the Danes had to.
*Sweden wouldn't use pirates to collect taxes as the Danes had a habit of doing.
*That Sweden had much earlier development of nationalism then Denmark (And definatly Norway).

Anyways, was going to add something in my last post but something weird happend, so here it is:

Your timeline is awesome except for a few things:
The three kingdoms share new laws and such. If they diverges from old law they will have to be approved by the Privy Council
Taxes & declaration of war has to be approved by the Privy council

Would never be approved by the Swedish nobles :)

Critics are welcome

Is it possible to get more warfare then IRL?

I was refering to OTL = IRL

Your timeline is awesome except for a few things:

The three kingdoms share new laws and such. If they diverges from old law they will have to be approved by the Privy Council

Taxes & declaration of war has to be approved by the Privy council

Would never be approved by the Swedish nobles :)

Regarding laws; OTL Eric made several new laws, but the difference is that he had to issue one law to each nation even if the content was the same. And no approval was needed. IMHO the strech is not that big, but I agree that its one of the more iffy issues :eek:

Taxes and decleration of war; I do not see this one as a problem. It actualy guaranties that the nobility wont be taxed and no offensive wars will be made without consent. I have no problem with this one :confused:

Regarding laws; OTL Eric made several new laws, but the difference is that he had to issue one law to each nation even if the content was the same. And no approval was needed. IMHO the strech is not that big, but I agree that its one of the more iffy issues :eek:

Taxes and decleration of war; I do not see this one as a problem. It actualy guaranties that the nobility wont be taxed and no offensive wars will be made without consent. I have no problem with this one :confused:

The thing is that a bunch of nobles spend their summers in their own private wars against Novgorod under most of the 15th century, most wouldn't like if they each summer had ask the Danish king for approval.

About laws and taxes:
At this point the Swedish nobility stood on a united front that they would stay exactly the same as before the KU IRL and that it wasn't to be changed (Which was the legal case KKB and other Swedes used to break the union at different times under the 15th century as the Danes hadn't followed their part of the KU by keeping the same laws and taxes intact as they were before KU).

The thing is that a bunch of nobles spend their summers in their own private wars against Novgorod under most of the 15th century, most wouldn't like if they each summer had ask the Danish king for approval.

Yes I know, and trust me, there will be plenty of oportunity for ventures in Finland... :D

But you have got it the wrong way. It is the king who will have to ask the council for aprovment for the union as a unity to declare wars.

About laws and taxes:
At this point the Swedish nobility stood on a united front that they would stay exactly the same as before the KU IRL and that it wasn't to be changed (Which was the legal case KKB and other Swedes used to break the union at different times under the 15th century as the Danes hadn't followed their part of the KU by keeping the same laws and taxes intact as they were before KU).

IMHO the main problem under Erics rule of the KU, was his excess use of extra taxes in addition to place german dignitaries in Swedish provinces. If those things had been avoided OTL, KU would have had a chance.

What Im doing is just point it out clearer in TTL what is demanded from the union king, rather than the more difuse and to a certain point contradictary OTL union letter and corronation letter.