Northern Star, a timeline with a united Scandinavia

Redbeard

Banned
Tried to flesh it out a bit and changed my mind regarding Neumark.

Please make some comments about this :(

Peace of Torun:

Representatives from those involved in the War of the Prussian Confederation convene in Torun in the beginning of the year. Present are also dignitaries from the Hanseatic League and the Dutch cities looking to protect their trade interests.

The position of the Union Kingdom is represented by King Håkon VII himself:

• Return of Gotland to the Union Crown
  • Further surrendering of Teutonic Order property to compensate war expenses
  • Polish & Prussian assistance in returning Northern Estonia to the Union Crown
  • Trade privileges in Prussia and Poland
The Polish and Prussian demands are rather obvious:

• Secularizing of the Teutonic Orders territory
  • The Prussian Confederation to become part of the Polish crown
  • Neumark to the Polish crown
Unhappy about the whole situation, the Dutch and the Hansa tries to avoid that any part (but themselves) will gain dominance in the Baltic trade. This is best be achieved by a status quo peace and guaranties against similar events in Livonia, thus their position:

· Dissolution of the Teutonic Order
· Prussian Confederation secularized but independent
· Guaranties to the Livonian Confederations independence
· Continuation of old trade privileges

The Poles control the situation and can pretty much dictate a peace, but some considerations obviously have to be made. The Union King will have to be awarded for his support and the Dutch and the Hansa must not be provoked into hostilities. Thus the peace treaty incorporates the Polish demands while trying to balance the two other views.

The Peace of Torun is signed in January:

• Prussia is secularized and The Prussian Confederation becomes part of the Polish crown
  • Neumark becomes a Polish Crown territory within the Holy Roman Empire
  • Poland and Lithuania guaranties the coherence of the Livonian Confederacy’s territory
  • Old trade privileges continued
  • The island of Gotland is returned to King Håkon VII
  • The Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order is left in custody of the Royal Scandic Trading Company. Ransom for his release is expected from the remaining possessions of the Order in the Holy Roman Empire
King Håkon VII is satisfied even tough he did not gain anything in Estonia. The Dutch and Hansa maintained status quo in Livonia, but had to accept the obvious in Prussia. The Polish King has acquired a vibrant and grateful territory in Prussia, free from Polish and Lithuanian nobility.

I must admit I have lost the general overview, what year are we in? :eek:

I like the idea of Poland being a major opponent across the Baltic, that was indeed also the case in OTL 16th and early 17th century. But anything called Prussia IMHO is either ASB or confusing in a TL with an unitied Scandinavia and a strong Poland (ASB if it is anything in size like the OTL Prussia and confusing if its not).

The clashes with the Polish in early 17th century to a large degree created the Swedish army under Gustav Adolph we know from the 30 Years War. I guess this is also going to happen here (if not - why?), but in this TL with at least double the strength behind it. That will have to be of importance in future clashes - with the Emperor!

But I realise I thereby break one of your underlying doctrines - don't let this evolve into a Scandinavian Union mingling in continental affairs ;)

Regards

Steffen Redbeard

I must admit I have lost the general overview, what year are we in? :eek:

Peace of Torun 1455

I like the idea of Poland being a major opponent across the Baltic, that was indeed also the case in OTL 16th and early 17th century. But anything called Prussia IMHO is either ASB or confusing in a TL with an unitied Scandinavia and a strong Poland (ASB if it is anything in size like the OTL Prussia and confusing if its not).

Agree, that is also why the prussian confederation becomes a integrated part of Poland after the treaty, also displayed as sutch in the map

Thanks for your feedback :)

Seconded.

I really don´t know, I´ll try my best at feedbacking, but I´m not really an expert on anything except for Iceland, which I am expert on only due to the fact I was born there.

I try my best in other places.

Just pose a question, what do you want the feedback to be about?

How the situation is in England? Holland? Spain? You know...

And start posting updates:D

BUMP + Feedback!

Happy now? Will you update? Please?!?!

Jizez, best feedback Iv seen in ages... :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Sure there will be updates :) but last month have been very buisy and so will rest of october be :(

Ill see what I can manage, but I cant promise anything :eek: but my intentions is to take this TL further :)

Last edited:
Jizez, best feedback Iv seen in ages... :rolleyes: :D :D :D

Sure there will be updates :) but last month have been very buisy and so will rest of october be :(

Ill see what I can manage, but I cant promise anything :eek: but my intentions to take this further :)

I can wait... Not very patiently, but I can wait.

I entered here via the Wikipedia page on the Kalmar Union. This is an interesting project, and I hope it has not been abandoned?

You were casting about for a collective name to use when referring to the kingdom as a whole. Nordic Kingdom or Nordic Union are possibilities for colloquial terms that might come into common use, even if not being the formal name of the entity. The Swedish branch of SCA refers to itself as Nordmark - that might be another possibility, though requiring a bit more explanation about how it came to be (and a good-sounding English term for nationals of Nordmark might be difficult to come up with - Nordmarkings, or Normarchians/Normarchers, perhaps?).

I think that somebody with the username of Adam keller added the link, correct me if I'm wrong. Any of you people here know a guy by that name, or a person that (most likely) he could be?

Cool

I entered here via the Wikipedia page on the Kalmar Union. This is an interesting project, and I hope it has not been abandoned?

Whow, Im honored :)

That could explain the continued increas in viewings of this thread. I have wondered this myself.

And no it is not abandoned, its just that I have been very busy both with family matters and work latley. Im still using free time to ponder this timeline, but I have not been able to put it in writing yet :eek:

Hmmm :eek:

Just back from my parents in law after the holidays, and I had hoped for some time the coming week.

Cant promise but Ill try. I sort of have all the bits I need. Just have to put it together... :eek:

I read this thread through and i think it's a very good concept but perhaps you should clarify things a bit.:eek:

And i mean clarify it from the beginning and then maybe post it in the TL:s and Scenarios forum.:rolleyes:

But, please don't get me wrong i love this TL and i want you too continue it.:D

Im sorry, but the holidays have come out with a major family crisis :(

I will not be able to put in time to write ATL at all, as the situation requires me to take care of others.

Hopfully everything will get back on track given time, but do not expect updates here anytime soon :(

Im sorry, but the holidays have come out with a major family crisis :(

I will not be able to put in time to write ATL at all, as the situation requires me to take care of others.

Hopfully everything will get back on track given time, but do not expect updates here anytime soon :(

Sad to hear. My sympathies, I hope that your family member gets well soon.

How's it going Oddball?

Sorry, but Im still not in any position to devote any time to develop my TL :(

Im rather happy that Im able to visit the forums from time to time. Mostley I do so from work :D and I cant work on my TL there... ;)

I'm sorry to hear you're not able to continue this TL regularly, Oddball! And I'm equally sorry I've been so bad at commenting!

That said, the timeline certainly have evolved since I read it last! It's actually rather interesting, albeit I must admit that many of my favorite historic periodes will change now beyond recognition, not to mention some of the more intersting charatcters no doubt be erased by butterflies on the loose! :)

The fact that so much have change from OTL makes it fairly hard to comment, but in general I find it both belivable and plausible, not to mention quite interesting as well!

Good work, Oddball!

And I hope you'll find time and energy to resume this project!

De venligste hilsener!

- Blåtone.