North Vietnam implodes after the Tet Offensive

In OTL North Vietnam whilst admitting the Tet Offensive was a failure then rededicated itself to the conflict and got the North Vietnam Army (NVA) far heavily involved than it had been. In fact, if I remember my history right, one of them stood up in parliament and declared themselves responsible for the failure but then said that the effect on morale in the USA was still the same.

What if, due to internal squabbling, finger pointing and a lack of confidence from the USSR/China that the existing North Vietnam goverment at the time imploded; thus taking it out of the conflict for a period of time?

Let's further suppose that other TL events remain the same after/during Tet:

1) The USA's youth tolerance for the war in Vietnam is still finished
2) Walter Cronkite still declares Vietnam 'Unwinnable' on National TV thus turning the tide of the opinion of the middle-aged middle-classes.
3) Race riots, assassinations etc of '68 all still occur.

What are the effects on the Vietnam War? On North Vietnam? On South Vietnam? On the USA and Nixon's presidency?

Thanks for reading!

Why is it absurd?

I'd say, with the situation in the U.S. unchanged, that North Vietnam takes longer to get its act together, but the NVA still takes Saigon; just later than OTL. The U.S. still doesn't have the will to do anything else about it.

Why is it absurd?

I'd say, with the situation in the U.S. unchanged, that North Vietnam takes longer to get its act together, but the NVA still takes Saigon; just later than OTL. The U.S. still doesn't have the will to do anything else about it.

I agree with you.

I suppose the questions that are in my mind are:

1) Does Vietminization pushed by Nixon still go forward with the same impetus?
2) Do the USA still leave in '75 or would there be a longer presence?
3) Does the additional time (if its significant) of North Vietnam being able to resume a cohesive offensive give ARVN enough time to perhaps train better, get better morale, get better materiale?

Ooops!!! Just noticed why it's absurd!!! I posted in the wrong place - sorry ignore this shouldn't be in Before 1900!!!!!!!!

Argh - sorry for the mess up!

<16:31 16/NOV/09> I've requested this thread be moved to Post 1900 - please don't post until it is - Thanks.

Last edited:
Ooops!!! Just noticed why it's absurd!!! I posted in the wrong place - sorry ignore this shouldn't be in Before 1900!!!!!!!!

Argh - sorry for the mess up!

<16:31 16/NOV/09> I've requested this thread be moved to Post 1900 - please don't post until it is - Thanks.

"If I remember my history right, one of them stood up in [North Vietnam's] parliament..."

I doubt it.

(PS, the whole thread will be relocated, no posts will be left behind.)