Since this is the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries I'll put the WI here.

In 1896, decades after the end of Reconstruction, the state of North Carolina elected Daniel Lindsay Russell, a Republican, to the governorship by a margin of less than ten thousand votes. Russell, who had a majority in the state legislature thanks to an alliance between the Republican and Populist parties, signed a bill that made it easier for blacks and poor whites to vote, among other things.

Unfortunately, this brief experience came to an end in 1898, when the Democrats ran on a campaign of fear and racism, retook both houses of the legislature and disenfranchised blacks and many poor whites. In one particularly nasty case, a former Democratic congressman, Alfred Moore Waddell, who had been defeated by Russell himself in 1878, led a coup d'état in Wilmington, killing and chasing the city's African American population out of the city.

Was there anything that could be done to prevent segregation from coming to North Carolina for as long as possible? Looking at Wikipedia it seems that one of the major issues Russell faced as governor was that the Republican-Populist alliance began to fall apart, something that was seen in the 1896 gubernatorial election itself when the Populists ran a candidate of their own that stole a lot of votes from him (and probably from the Democrats too). Could the alliance keep itself together, starting by having them unite in the gubernatorial ticket and thus secure a more decisive victory?

Was there anything president McKinley could've done to help? Assuming North Carolina stays under Republican control for long enough for them to send some senators to Washington, could this cripple the Southern segregationists' ability to filibuster things such as anti-lynching laws in the Senate?

It seems like there was a substanial amount of violence and intimidation in the campaigns of 1898-1900. If McKinley or Roosevelt had devoted federal resources to prosecute those responsible (including Aycock), it could have disrupted the Democratic political machine enough to create an opening for the Republicans to remain competitive, but they still would have faced an uphill battle with the passage of the suffrage amendment in 1900. I think avoiding Jim Crow in the long term is easier with a pre-1900 POD.

It might be possible if NC somehow stays neutral in the Civil War. The vote for NC to secede was by 1 vote in the legislature.

I'm not sure if this is wholly possible post-1900. Last I checked, "Jim Crow" wasn't just a southern problem.
Maybe a better Reconstruction could have killed the Lost Cause and Jim Crow, but post-1900 might be too late.

I'm not sure if this is wholly possible post-1900. Last I checked, "Jim Crow" wasn't just a southern problem.
Maybe a better Reconstruction could have killed the Lost Cause and Jim Crow, but post-1900 might be too late.
Well, a POD in 1896 is basically pre-1900, right?
What if North Carolina also went for McKinley in 1896, creating a huge gap in the Solid South? Could that energize local and perhaps national Republicans further?

EDIT: Perhaps with a second, stronger attempt to pass the Lodge Bill?

A post-reconstruction POD: hmm.
Let me think about this some more. I think NC could be much better than it was in terms of "Jim Crow", but avoiding it completely would seem to be a tall order considering "Jim Crow" was not just a southern problem. Lodge Bill passing could help, but I think another factor could be no Plessy vs. Ferguson? (Or it going the other way?)

A post-reconstruction POD: hmm.
Let me think about this some more. I think NC could be much better than it was in terms of "Jim Crow", but avoiding it completely would seem to be a tall order considering "Jim Crow" was not just a southern problem. Lodge Bill passing could help, but I think another factor could be no Plessy vs. Ferguson? (Or it going the other way?)
Plessy v Ferguson was a near unanimous decision, so that's implausible. I thought about a Lodge Bill 2.0 in 1897 or so, while much of the Democratic Party has been obliterated thanks to the Panic of 1893.