North Borneo

Inspired by the thread about an American Taiwan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Borneo said:
In 1865, the United States Consul to Brunei, Claude Lee Moses obtained a 10-year lease for the territory of North Borneo from the Sultan of Brunei. However, the post-Civil War United States wanted nothing to do with Asian colonies, so Moses sold his rights to the Hong Kong-based American Trading Company owned by Joseph W. Torrey, Thomas B. Harris and some Chinese merchants. Torrey began a settlement at the Kimanis River mouth, which he named 'Ellena'. Attempts to find financial backing for the settlement were futile, and disease, death and desertion by the immigrant labourers led to the abandonment of the settlement towards the end of 1866.
With the imminent termination of the lease at hand in January 1875, Torrey managed to sell his rights to the Consul of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in Hong Kong, Baron Von Overbeck. Von Overbeck managed to get a 10-year renewal of the lease from the Temenggong of Brunei, and a similar treaty from the Sultan of Sulu on January 22, 1878. To finance his plans for North Borneo, Overbeck found financial backing from the Dent brothers (Alfred and Edward). However, he was unable to interest his government in the territory. After efforts to sell the territory to Italy for use as a penal colony, Von Overbeck withdrew in 1880, leaving Alfred Dent in control.

We have 3 PODs here, North Borneo going to either the US, Austria-Hungary, or Italy. We can work on all of them, though I think I know which one most people will prefer.

Austrian North Borneo? Now that would be neat, it may interest the Austro-Hungarian Empire in more colonies, maybe some of the Pacific kingdoms...

Imajin said:
Austrian North Borneo? Now that would be neat, it may interest the Austro-Hungarian Empire in more colonies, maybe some of the Pacific kingdoms...

Just something else for the Australians or the Japanese to take over once they get stomped in World War 1.

Thande

Donor
Italy or Austria-Hungary would be interesting because having such a far-flung colony would place a different emphasis on their navies to OTL. It's not so interesting if it's the US - wouldn't really affect history to a great degree, just an extension of the Philippines really.

Although might Austria-Hungary (or Italy for that matter) be persuaded to sell it on to Germany at some point, given that Germany already had colonies in the region and a navy oriented to defend them? And that in itself might provoke a war, or at least raised hackles?

Bump! I'm interested in this, and if I research it enough it could be a TL.

But I need more posted commenting the plausibility of Austria-Hungary North Borneo.

(Yes I'm being a necromancer but look at the second word of my username :D. Besides I save space by not creating another thread when one about this subject already exists)