Nobunaga’s Ambition Realized: Dawn of a New Rising Sun

Northern Ireland and Luson may be a fair comparison, Bireito is completely unique because you have the natives, the colonizing ruling class, and the Chinese immigrants as well as foreign merchants and artisans and many of the mountainous tribes are also autonomous vassals. Not to mention the Shimazu clan also controls a few outposts on the island directly separate from the provincial governments.
Man, Bireitou is a bit of a politically confusing place.

Northern Ireland and Luson may be a fair comparison, Bireito is completely unique because you have the natives, the colonizing ruling class, and the Chinese immigrants as well as foreign merchants and artisans and many of the mountainous tribes are also autonomous vassals. Not to mention the Shimazu clan also controls a few outposts on the island directly separate from the provincial governments.
I would like to note that the national situation in Luzon is very unique - there are too many tribes there that do not understand each other. Although there is a possibility that over time the local population will be assimilated by the Japanese.

I would like to note that the national situation in Luzon is very unique - there are too many tribes there that do not understand each other. Although there is a possibility that over time the local population will be assimilated by the Japanese.
laughs in Pangasinense, mass-produced sugar, and other cheap commodities

Last edited:
Honestly, Luzon's local population would adopt or mix Japanese names, language and culture like the Philippines did in OTL with Spanish/American names.

laughs in Pangasinense, mass-produced sugar, and other cheap commodities
Spain was very far away, and even the Mexicans could not provide a constant influx of population. Japan is relatively close, can have extensive communications between the colony and the mother country, and has a comparable (if not large) population. Thus there is potential to Japaneseify the locals.

Spain was very far away, and even the Mexicans could not provide a constant influx of population. Japan is relatively close, can have extensive communications between the colony and the mother country, and has a comparable (if not large) population. Thus there is potential to Japaneseify the locals.
Remember that the Republic of Ireland is still a prideful nation today (and one that had been strongly Catholic up until recently) in spite of mostly speaking the English language.

And oh — the baranggay clientage system of the local plutocrats is totally upended in favour of Japanese constables — mind you. That doesn't leave much prestige in collaborationism unlike in both of the OTL and TTL's Philippine Captain-Generalcies.

Considering the border with Tarlac not fifty kilometers away, it's not that much of a stretch that underground Catholic churches will get established by intrepid clergymen who have more zeal than obeisance to diplomatic authority, especially with a functioning and integrated state apparatus and its associated society down south that one can easily assume to have mythologised the wars and have become a nation full of Blas Piñars.

There had been references of a simmering insurgency especially around the Pangasinan region, and none of ethnic cleansing and outright genocide, at least not so far. Even with the immigrating Japanese peasants and samurai, that's still a considerable amount of people upset about chaffing under Japanese rule within that region, not to mention that the rest of the natives even outside of Pangasinan are also looked down upon even in spite of being highlanders or converts to the Yamato church and even Buddhist sects. There's also the Ilocano expansion to boot that can prove to provide considerable and sordid competition with Japanese immigrants.

Even with a very low population of not more than 100,000 thousand at best compared to the tens of thousands of emigrating Japanese — even with just a considerable fraction of the natives staying true to the Catholic faith and the Latin Rite — we will eventually see the polarisation between "more Filipino than the Filipinos" and "more Japanese than the Japanese" peoples, at the very least in Pangasinan; at best, the natives outside of Pangasinan are hyper-Japanised enough that they will become the counterpart of English Catholics that increasingly gave up on the idea of rebellion even in spite of their disenfranchisement.

However — Japanese peasants are emigrating because they don't want to work as peasants anymore as much as they want to get better opportunities as urban craftsmen and merchants, let alone that they are really that eager to start from scratch in a place as alien as Luzon; what remains of the emigrants willing to do farm work are more likely to settle around the Cagayan river basin rather than Pangasinan.

Hence, I believe that the idea of Pangasinense separatism and even outright reunionism with the Captain-Generalcy will never go away even in spite of the considerable Japanese garrison there.

And that's before the Japanese mixed-race people get mistreated and become hyper-Filipinised, too, and considering the hierarchical and possibly outright extractive nature of the province's economy and society — full-blooded Japanese peasants sick of their samurai overlords can likewise lend their ears too.

Last edited:
Man, Bireitou is a bit of a politically confusing place.
Japan arrived right when the Chinese were beginning to slowly settle the place, and because Japan both sees the Chinese as cultural equals and doesn't want to upset Beijing they don't suppress them too hard. At the same time, many of the indigenous tribes get folded in as vassals.
There's no traditional flag per se. The main imperial ceremonial and military standard is the one below and the Oda clan's emblem is also used for governmental and military purposes.​

View attachment 882056
Here.

A minor question occurred to me. I know we know that since Japan never went isolationists, a lot of Japanese clans are more mercantile and very rich with connections to European merchants, and the study of Yōgaku is prevalent. You also mentioned that the Tea Ceremony is still an important part of culture and even politics.

So, I read that Oda Nobunaga (And a lot of Sengoku Era Daimyo) had a hobby of collecting Tea Utensils, launching a meibutsu-gari to collect rare Chinese and Japanese tea utensils and other famous objects.

OTL, He tried to acquire a piece Ranjatai wood, tried to get all three Narashiba Katatsuki (He only got two before he died) and my personal favorite story, he tried to get the Hiragumo from Matsunaga Hisahide, but he famously destroyed it to spite him (Though, one story says Hiragumo still exists and is housed in Hamanako Kanzanji Art Museum in Hamamatsu). Nobunaga also liked to collect things from the West, like suits of armor, clothing, weapons, clocks, etc. (Also, a lot of Daimyo did this as well)

So, is meibutsu-gari still somewhat practiced? Do Daimyo still actively go out their way to collect rare and luxury items all over Japan, and trade amongst one another with these collector's items? Maybe even extending to European, Middle Eastern and other Asian items such carpets, rare books and texts, paintings.

Or in short, are Oda Clan and other Daimyo clans are just massive collectors that do some personal trading amongst one another in diplomatic settings (Or the equivalent Samurai NFTs, just more useful and way more valuable)

Sidenote, speaking of those items, if they do, what rare items do the Oda Clan own? Did they ever acquire all three Narashiba Katatsuki, or even Hiragumo (If the story about it not being actually destroyed is true), or even own famous Japanese swords, like certain Muramasas and Masamunes?

A minor question occurred to me. I know we know that since Japan never went isolationists, a lot of Japanese clans are more mercantile and very rich with connections to European merchants, and the study of Yōgaku is prevalent. You also mentioned that the Tea Ceremony is still an important part of culture and even politics.

So, I read that Oda Nobunaga (And a lot of Sengoku Era Daimyo) had a hobby of collecting Tea Utensils, launching a meibutsu-gari to collect rare Chinese and Japanese tea utensils and other famous objects.

OTL, He tried to acquire a piece Ranjatai wood, tried to get all three Narashiba Katatsuki (He only got two before he died) and my personal favorite story, he tried to get the Hiragumo from Matsunaga Hisahide, but he famously destroyed it to spite him (Though, one story says Hiragumo still exists and is housed in Hamanako Kanzanji Art Museum in Hamamatsu). Nobunaga also liked to collect things from the West, like suits of armor, clothing, weapons, clocks, etc. (Also, a lot of Daimyo did this as well)

So, is meibutsu-gari still somewhat practiced? Do Daimyo still actively go out their way to collect rare and luxury items all over Japan, and trade amongst one another with these collector's items? Maybe even extending to European, Middle Eastern and other Asian items such carpets, rare books and texts, paintings.

Or in short, are Oda Clan and other Daimyo clans are just massive collectors that do some personal trading amongst one another in diplomatic settings (Or the equivalent Samurai NFTs, just more useful and way more valuable)

Sidenote, speaking of those items, if they do, what rare items do the Oda Clan own? Did they ever acquire all three Narashiba Katatsuki, or even Hiragumo (If the story about it not being actually destroyed is true), or even own famous Japanese swords, like certain Muramasas and Masamunes?
Meibutsu-gari is now one of the principal duties of the daijo-daijin, so yes. It's also practiced by several of the most significant noble houses and cadet branches of the Oda clan, and even some of the major daimyo clans though to a more limited and less ceremonial way. Exotic foreign goods definitely fall into the mix as well.

As for some of the items, a lot of that is up to the imagination but the Oda clan does come to particularly prize tea utensils. This is especially because some of them, including Oda Nagamasu (Urakusai), Nobutomo, and Nobuhiro attain tea master status.

One thing I've thought about. What about military bands? Does Japan have them in general use in their military and does each fiefdom have individual military theme songs for their troops? I'm aware that military bands were an Ottoman innovation that then spread to Europe, but is this something Japan has also adopted at the dawn of the 18th century?

One thing I've thought about. What about military bands? Does Japan have them in general use in their military and does each fiefdom have individual military theme songs for their troops? I'm aware that military bands were an Ottoman innovation that then spread to Europe, but is this something Japan has also adopted at the dawn of the 18th century?
Other than instruments being used to signal specific actions, no.

Hello,

With the developments in expanded ship travel and trade, have any imports, other than weapons, changed Japanese lifestyles and society? Have some prominent Europeans made their way to parts of Asia where significant trade centers have been established such as those by the Dutch or the Spanish. Possible travelers may include artists, writers, government officials, and church staff. I would think that travelogues similar to Marco Polo's Travels might have been written by a Dutch ship captain or a Spanish traveling monk. Conversely, have European literature made their way to East Asia. Also have a number of Asian travelers managed to write down their experiences in Europe ?

As for some of the items, a lot of that is up to the imagination but the Oda clan does come to particularly prize tea utensils. This is especially because some of them, including Oda Nagamasu (Urakusai), Nobutomo, and Nobuhiro attain tea master status.
Speaking of the tea ceremony - have the Japanese diplomats and other notables performed it before European audiences, or have they kept it to themselves?

Last edited: