No women's suffrage?

I've done a search and can't find a thing. What if the 19th amendment had failed ratification in 1920? Would another state have ratified? Would it have died like the ERA?

Would Cox have become President? Would America have joined the League of Nations? Would the Depression have been averted?

WOULD AMERICA SIMULTANEOUSLY BE BETTER AND WORSE OFF?!?!?

Your thoughts, please... :)

If the 19th Amendment didn't pass, women's suffrage almost certainly would have be reproposed and passed sometime later. The US would have been under a lot of pressure from an increasingly active suffrage movement, as well as international pressure as other countries started to allow women to vote. I think it would have happened sometime in the 1920s.

If the 19th Amendment didn't pass, women's suffrage almost certainly would have be reproposed and passed sometime later. The US would have been under a lot of pressure from an increasingly active suffrage movement, as well as international pressure as other countries started to allow women to vote. I think it would have happened sometime in the 1920s.

Since when does America care about international pressure? We tend to do the opposite.

As for no 19th Amendment; I imagine most of the States would have their own women sufferage after a while. Maybe even all of them. I know pretty much all the western States had it by the time the 19th Amendment was passed. I'll go look it up:

Green is full, orange is Presidential, blue is Primary and Red is NO! Basically No was the East Coast.

Not necessarily, in France women's suffrage wasn't introduced until after its' liberation in WW2 (1944/1945) and in Switzerland it took until 1971 to introduce it on a federal basis while the canton (state) of Appenzell Innerrhoden denied female suffrage until being forced by a decision of the Swiss federal court to introduce it in late November 1990.

I expect without the 19th Amendment it would have been passed, at the latest, by FDR's government. However, if we assume it fails (for some reason), I suspect it'd go in the way of segregation, a conservative Southern thing that finally collapses in the 60's. By JFK there is no chance women can't vote.

I've done a search and can't find a thing. What if the 19th amendment had failed ratification in 1920? Would another state have ratified? Would it have died like the ERA?

Would Cox have become President? Would America have joined the League of Nations? Would the Depression have been averted?

WOULD AMERICA SIMULTANEOUSLY BE BETTER AND WORSE OFF?!?!?

Your thoughts, please... :)

Given that 35 of the 36 states necessary for the XIX Amendment to become law did so within 9 months of it being sent to the states, it seems highly improbable that the amendment would not ever be ratified. Also, given that there was no time limit put on the ratification process, it's all but certain that this amendment will sooner or later during the 1920's be ratified.

Regarding Cox - While "no votes yet for women" would change the vote totals and alter the campaign rhetoric, I can't see how an on-going debate over the proposed and still before the states XIX Amendment impacts the outcome of the 1920 Harding-Cox (et cetera) election.

I'm no expert, but feasible the impact could be impacted. For instance without women, McCain likely would have won in '08. I'm not sure, however, if one side had such a strong pull with females in the 20's.

Where are we saying the 19th Amendment fails? In Congress, or in the states? Because if it fails to pass Congress (as it did quite a few times), there's enough states on the board granting women some kind of suffrage to go around Congress and call a Constitutional convention, and then put the question directly to the states themselves.

The strong threat of a convention, out which might come God knows what kind of amendments, could also act to scare Congress into passing the Amendment.

That's just Texas and Arkansas -- the light blue are "school, bond, or tax suffrage", whatever that means...

You could vote in school board elections, on bond issuing, or on tax increases, I think.

The school board one does make sense, from the perspective of the time: women as mothers and care-takers of children, they should definitely have a say in the education of children.

I'm no expert, but feasible the impact could be impacted. For instance without women, McCain likely would have won in '08. I'm not sure, however, if one side had such a strong pull with females in the 20's.

What do you mean by, I'm no expert, but feasible the impact could be impacted.?

Regarding voting patterns (and also turnout) among women in 1920 & 1924, here's a link to an article from The Journal of Politics, Vol. 68, No. 1, February 2006, pp. 34–49: http://www.nd.edu/~cwolbrec/Corder_Wolbrecht_JOP.pdf

Many observers expected new women voters to respond to their political context in distinctive ways. Some scholars
anticipated that newly-enfranchised women—lacking political interest and experience—would be volatile and
highly responsive to context. Others expected political isolation and norms proscribing political activity would insulate women from political stimuli. We test these competing predictions with a Bayesian approach to ecological inference and a unique set of aggregate data. We find that the responsiveness of women’s turnout is strikingly similar to
that of men. However, the lesser impact of electoral competition, and the greater effect of electoral laws and prior
suffrage activism, suggest that the experience of and response to disenfranchisement shaped women’s turnout after
the vote was won.

Since when does America care about international pressure? We tend to do the opposite.

As for no 19th Amendment; I imagine most of the States would have their own women sufferage after a while. Maybe even all of them. I know pretty much all the western States had it by the time the 19th Amendment was passed. I'll go look it up:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Map_of_US_Suffrage,_1920.svg

Green is full, orange is Presidential, blue is Primary and Red is NO! Basically No was the East Coast.

What's yellow?:confused: