No tiger tanks

Deleted member 1487

Those vehicles were already topped out. The Tiger was the only route to fielding a long range heavy gun with heavy armor until the Panther showed up and that wasn't a viable design until early 1944 when mechanical issues were worked out. If they opted out of the Tiger then the 3rd Kharkov would be an issue, as the Tiger was pretty important there. Other than that given Germany's tight production capabilities the Tiger gave far more bang for its buck than it cost Germany, so it would be a serious loss. The only thing to do differently would be to build a lot more recovery vehicles and less Tigers, definitely no Tiger IIs and no Jagdtiger. Of course that doesn't change the ending of the war one bit.

The Panzer IV and StuG III were pretty much maxed out with the KwK 40. You could take the Panzer IV chassis a little further in the form of the Jagdpanzer IV. Other than that, you've topped out with something roughly qualitatively equivalent to the T-34 and Sherman...

I guess the question then is, does the increased production (assuming it's easy to convert the resources employed in Tigers and Panthers directly into Panzer IVs) outweigh the now non-existant qualitative difference?

More long-barrelled 75mm guns would have done as much damage to WALLYS. Mounting those long guns on Panzerkampfwagon Mark 4 and Panther chassis would have been less expensive than Tigers. Smaller chassis were more mobile and would have eased the German supply chain. Greater numbers of 75mm guns would have caused greater WALLY casualties.

marathag

Banned
I sort of regarded the Tigers as overly large TD. /they certainly were not very efficient as general purpose tanks. & even less so as infantry support tanks, and worthless as cavalry style exploitation tanks.

That's why they were classed as breakthru Tanks.

There was a role for that sort of thing.

The Nazi problem was they didn't know when to stop.

The King Tiger was not needed, and to be frank, silly, when they didn't even have proper recovery vehicles for the Tiger I, let alone something even heavier.

The Tiger II should have just been the same thing, only simplified for mass production and more reliability