No St. Petersburg - alternate names for Russian cities along the Neva River

The Neva always used to be contested between Swedes and Russians and when the Great Nordic War ended, Peter the Great found a city called St. Petersburg, also known as Petrograd or Leningrad at times.

My questions is: What if the settlements along the Neva River lacked an egopolis à la Petersburg or Yekaterinburg? What if e.g. a Novgorodian city were founded at the site of St. Petersburg and even further stretches of the Neva river? How would they have named it? Or them?

The Neva always used to be contested between Swedes and Russians and when the Great Nordic War ended, Peter the Great found a city called St. Petersburg, also known as Petrograd or Leningrad at times.

My questions is: What if the settlements along the Neva River lacked an egopolis à la Petersburg or Yekaterinburg? What if e.g. a Novgorodian city were founded at the site of St. Petersburg and even further stretches of the Neva river? How would they have named it? Or them?

When the war ended? Peter founded St Petersburg while it still Swedish in name.

I dont think another city would be built

Novograd? (New City)

Nzinhiy Novgorod (New Novgorod)

Novopolatsk/Novosmolensk etc.

Nevask (a la Omsk, Uralsk etc.)

Vladimore (ruler of the sea, a la Vladivostok or Vladikavkaz)

Nzinhiy Novgorod (New Novgorod)

Ahem, Nizhniy Novgorod actually means Lower Novgorod.

Analogously, a Middle Novgorod would be called Sredniy Novgorod and an Upper Novgorod likewise Verkhniy Novgorod.

I didn't want to resort to something like Newagrad or Newapol.

West Port (I don't know the Russian).

Great Fortress (again, my Russian stinks) if just established to hold the area and growing into a city around the fortifications.

Zapad means west in Russian, and port is the same word in English and Russian. Other than that, I can think of Vladizapad, or Overlord of the West, in contrast with Vladivostok, or Overlord of the East. Also, I can think of Vladiseversk meaning overlord of the north.

Gift in Russian. Kinda like Krasnodar means 'Gift of the Reds' because the Bolsheviks renamed it from Yekaterinodar, meaning Catherine's gift.

Don't a majority of Russian cities end in -sk (which as far as I can tell, means 'settlement' generically) and also are named after rivers or tribes (Murmansk/Yatuksk/Minsk/Smolensk/Tomsk/Omsk)?

Nevask might very well be the city name, and IMO it's actually kind of cool as far as Russophone names go.

It may well retain its historical Swedish name: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyenschantz , which in Russian vernacular was mostly contracted to Канцы/Kantsy (sounds almost like Kontsy(the Ends)).
If you mean an earlier POD, then Ust-Okhta (meaning Okhta Rivermouth).
Or you can butterfly away the alt-St-Peterburg entirely and make Oreshek (the Nut) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nöteborg the main trade and administrative сenter of the region.

The capital of Russia where Peter I was born and grew up was Moscow which was named after the river it was on.
In Russian it sounds and is spelled exactly the same:
- Moskva (city)
- Moskva (river)

If Tsar Peter the Great had a grand design for this city from the very beginning he might do the same trick with his new supposed capital:
- Neva (city)
- Neva (river)

Last edited:
I think the name Vladizapad would work. It means "Lord of the West", so, since this *St. Petersburg will most likely still be Russia's dominant western port, "Lord of the West" would fit it quite nicely.