No Ray Kroc

Just watched The Founder last night, and it made me more upset than I anticipated. I feel really sorry for the McDonald brothers.

So, what if Ray Kroc had never met them? Or had died in a crash or something before or shortly after meeting them? The McDonalds' life might have been a lot better, but with no national McDonald's franchise, how would the US fast food landscape have developed?

marathag

Banned
Wow, had never heard of that chain before. The parallels to McDonald's are striking. Yeah, I'd say they'd be a great candidate for an ATL McDonald's-level chain, especially since it seems McD's ripped off their happy meal concept in OTL.

That's not the only thing
JuB9E-1492538726-8331-list_items-burgers_bigshef.jpg

The Clown just added sesame seeds and a jingle.

By 1970, they were the #2 chain, after MickeyD

Apple Pan and Carl's Jr. were Kroc's first attempts at a franchise (The Founder doesn't tell you that).

Still, I believe without the McDonald brothers, Burger Chef is the #1 chain (they created the prototypes for the Big Mac, Happy Meal, and colorful characters), though God knows I need either Krystal's or White Castle. I LOATHE living near neither.

White Castle has been a thing since 1921... Perhaps they could become the model for the fast food industry?

Apple Pan and Carl's Jr. were Kroc's first attempts at a franchise (The Founder doesn't tell you that).

Still, I believe without the McDonald brothers, Burger Chef is the #1 chain (they created the prototypes for the Big Mac, Happy Meal, and colorful characters), though God knows I need either Krystal's or White Castle. I LOATHE living near neither.

How did Carl's Jr. later become successful? The movie implies Kroc had been kind of a nobody before McDonalds.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
post-war prosperity, more mobile society, consumer wanting dependably good restaurant

Is there more to it than that?

On the baseball front if the padres go to DC, Perhaps the Expos, move but remain in Canada. Newfoundland Explorers anyone?

Vancouver Canadians may work better. (Vancouver had a minor league team by that name for some time.) That or Buffalo, the next best thing to Canada. Would have fucked up the NL East royally for a long time and the Cubs and Cards probably would have had to move west and like it since there’s no way in hell an NL West makes sense with DC, Atlanta and Cincinnati. Cincy probably stays in the West along with the Astros, Cubs, Cards and the two remaining CA teams.

Is San Diego ever a candidate for an expansion team again? Miami and Denver probably beat them to the punch, and if the league’s realign in 1994, the West is probably the Astros, Rockies, Dodgers and Giants while someone from the east coast has to go to the Central.

I believe that the reason for the sale of the Padres to D.C. did not go through was that the City of San Diego had an "ironclad" contract for the Padres to play in the stadium until 1988 and the D.C. buyer was unable indemnify the National League for potential damages in the lawsuit the City was going to file.
Another reason for the failure of the sale was the reluctance of the owners of the Dodgers and the Giants for the Padres to leave San Diego as having a team there cut down on travel expenses, the nearest city to them after San Diego was Houston and of the four cities that got expansion teams in 1969 (Kansas City, Montreal, Seattle, and San Diego) only the Padres were playing in a new modern stadium (opened in 1967).