No McArthur

So I was just watching the history channel and I came up on an interesting fact. During the depression, the Vets from WW1 marched on washington to demand early compensation or something for a bonus that was supposed to be given out in 1945. this i know.

What happened is McArthur was told by Hoover to get ride of the vets...clear them out of the buildings they were occupying. Well, things got out of hand, people died and McArthur overstepped his bounds. (this i did not know)

Hoover eventually took the blame for this, and this helped FDR win the election.

SO WHAT IF: instead of taking the blame on himself, Hoover actually does something about McArthur? IF McArthur is court martiled, will this save Hoover the bad PR? How will this affect the next elections? Will FDR still get elected?

Bonus Army at Wikipedia

I don't think it would have saved Hoover a whit; the election was only a few months away, and proceedings against McArthur would have taken a considerable amount of time. It's even likely that the mess wouldn't be entirely cleared up until some time in the early months of FDR's administration.

Now what it would have meant for McArthur's military career (and by extension, Eisenhower's) is something entirely different.