No Kansas-Nebraska act?

The Kansas-Nebraska act was a bomb that blew up in everyone's face, especially President Franklin Pierce's. It had none of the effects it's architects intended, and it's unintended consequences were disastrous. Indeed, this law, which President Pierce signed on may 30th, 1854, was possibly one of the worst pieces of national legislation in America in the 19th century. It didn’t cause the civil war, but it certainly hastened it.

The Kansas-Nebraska act was supposedly a master stroke of nine dimensional chess being played by Stephen Douglas of Illinois, who hoped to save the badly fractured Democratic Party, by using the act to unite ferocious Whig Party resistance against it and the Pierce administration.

The key to Douglas's nine dimensional chess game were the Southern Whigs. They were the one's who were most happy with the idea of the compromise of 1850 having settled the issue of slavery for all time, and Douglas thought that these people would oppose anything that tended to disturb that fragile equilibrium. Northern Whigs were going to oppose the act no matter what because they thought it advanced slaveholding interests. But if southern Whigs opposed it because they were pissed that the compromise had been disturbed, this would unite whig opposition, which would cause Democrats to unite behind President Pierce’s policy of supporting the bill.

That’s, uh, not what happened.

The perception that the Kansas Nebraska act was a frontal assault on anti-slavery northerners, while simultaneously a box of luscious treats for southerners who wanted to expand slavery, inflamed those Northern Whigs who opposed slavery. In the late winter and spring of 1854, even before the act passed, newspaper editorials were full of denunciations of the act, on the grounds that it would advance slavery and slaveholding power.

The southern whigs did in fact wind up pissed, but they were pissed at what they saw as unfair propaganda by radical abolitionists, talking crap about the Kansas-Nebraska act. Therefore, because they hated abolitionists, and wanted to stick it to them, Southern Whigs thought it would be better to support the Kansas-Nebraska act, on the theory that it would give the finger to those people they didn’t like.

And I bet you thought negative partisanship was a modern phenomenon.

So what this meant was that Southern Whigs joined pro slavery democrats in supporting the Kansas-Nebraska act. It also meant that Northern anti-slavery Democrats broke ranks with their own party and their own president to oppose the act, joining with the Northern Whigs.

Douglas had put up the act to provoke a partisan fight that would unite both parties, but especially his. What it actually did was splinter both parties, which now began to reorganize around not just a political basis but a regional one as well. Good job, Stephen.

So what if Kansas-Nebraska was never introduced to congress?

Last edited:
I read once, and damn well wish I kept the reference, that Douglas expected Kansas to be settled by southerners (uplander ones like those in *West Virginia, Kentucky, and all but northernmost Missouri) and Nebraska by northerners (Mid-Atlantic men like those in the southern two-thirds of Ohio, middle Indiana and Illinois, and northernmost Missouri). I expect without the inflammation of the Act to cause northerners and especially Yankees to come down to Kansas, settlement would follow expected regional-cultural lines westward as they had done so up to that point.

Its not like its a bill that had to be introduced, on a problem that had to be settled. If Douglas doesn't push it, it doesn't happen.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Kansas-Nebraska Act was a disaster all around. Without it, I think we see something of continuation of of the previous trends. States being admitted in pairs and perhaps occasionally being strongarmed in, such as California was. Keeping the Missouri Compromise in place isn't going to resolve the increasing factionalism over slavery, but it will at least leave a legal principal in place. Should it remain in place, the Southwest might be divided into a few more states and the states of the Great Plains might be larger to keep the number of free states and slave states more in balance.

I agree wholeheartedly that the Kansas-Nebraska Act was a disaster all around. Without it, I think we see something of continuation of of the previous trends. States being admitted in pairs and perhaps occasionally being strongarmed in, such as California was. Keeping the Missouri Compromise in place isn't going to resolve the increasing factionalism over slavery, but it will at least leave a legal principal in place. Should it remain in place, the Southwest might be divided into a few more states and the states of the Great Plains might be larger to keep the number of free states and slave states more in balance.
Hmmm. Interesting. This could set off all kinds of political jockeying, with each faction trying to admit as many small states as possible to "keep up" with the other. Given the geography of North America, the territory for slave states looks like it would simply run out before that for free states would. Eventually, the country as a whole is going to want the last of, say, the Dakotas, Montana, and perhaps Idaho admitted, regardless of whether or not there is territory in the south to balance them. Oh, the butterflies!
  • Do southern states try to push US territory south into Mexico and the Carribean to balance/outpace the North?
  • Does the North look to the, well, north (Canada West) for the same reasons?
  • Alaska purchase could be affected.
  • The transcontinental railroad is going to be delayed; and with it, the settlement of the west in general.
  • What other legislation could get held hostage to state's admissions?
The (literal) shape that any admitted states are in will affect politics until the present day. Bigly.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Interesting. This could set off all kinds of political jockeying, with each faction trying to admit as many small states as possible to "keep up" with the other. Given the geography of North America, there territory for slave states looks like it would simply run out before that for free states would. Eventually, the country as a whole is going to want the last of, say, the Dakotas, Montana, and perhaps Idaho admitted, regardless of whether or not there is territory in the south to balance them. Oh, the butterflies!
  • Do southern states try to push US territory south into Mexico and the Carribean to balance/outpace the North?
  • Does the North look to the, well, north (Canada West) for the same reasons?
  • Alaska purchase could be affected.
  • The transcontinental railroad is going to be delayed; and with it, the settlement of the west in general.
  • What other legislation could get held hostage to state's admissions?
The (literal) shape that any admitted states are in will affect politics until the present day. Bigly.
I am wondering whether or not this might cause it be that Western States don’t necessarily go along with ‘Yankee’ states. If there is no massacres and voter intimidation by invading Southerns who seem to want to take all the best land for rich people with slaves, then maybe they go the Copperhead route and are simply focused upon growing as much food as they can and making a profit. Might be that some people don’t even try to make any of the states lily white (I still do wonder if the Dred Scott case meant that theoretically slavery would be legal everywhere) and that some people might go along with ‘apprenticeships’ as a way for people to earn their freedom. Though they probably wouldn’t be eligible for free land, or by the their they were eligible they would need to travel a hundred miles into the wilderness or Indian Reserves. I am thinking that Kansas got a lot more American settlers of old English stock than areas north of them, right? They far less populated Dakotas, Montana, etc who would get loads of Germans and Scandinavians.