I think the easiest one is Enrico Dandolo dies in 1200 or so well before the 4th Crusade gets off the drawing board and whoever succeeds him focuses elsewhere. Having Dandolo die at 93 instead of 98 isn't exactly a huge stretch.
Or even better prevent Alexius (IV) escape from Constantinople to the court of his brother in law. Anyway with no sack of Constantinople, the Romans still have to endure Kalojan's hostility but the lack of serious threat from the West (Frederick II is still a minor and the German crown is disputed) and the loss of unity means that the Romans have a chance to revert the disasters of the last 20 years. Theodore Laskaris (assuming a smooth successions) is certainly up to the task.

Even better a Mongol Basileus of the Romans. Basileus Konstantinos XI "the Mongol" retakes the levant and Egypt for the Romans.

I wonder, if there was such a relationship between a resurgent Byzantines and the Mongols, whether or not the Mongols might consider Orthodox Christianity - especially if the Romans have had the audacity to somehow resist their invasion. That could lead to Mongolian names being considered good and Christian (even if not Greek). "Chingis Laskarid, Lord of Eurasia, Emperor of the Romans and the Mongols" has a nice ring to it.

Or even better prevent Alexius (IV) escape from Constantinople to the court of his brother in law. Anyway with no sack of Constantinople, the Romans still have to endure Kalojan's hostility but the lack of serious threat from the West (Frederick II is still a minor and the German crown is disputed) and the loss of unity means that the Romans have a chance to revert the disasters of the last 20 years. Theodore Laskaris (assuming a smooth successions) is certainly up to the task.

This is something I can't fully establish. What sort of force and strategy would the Romans need to break the Bulgarians? Are we looking at large forces to capture each of their cities? With no 1204 the Romans probably have many more resources, and if stability is maintained, surely the Romans and provide the army to defeat the Bulgarians.

Deleted member 67076

You know I imagine the Byzantines would just end up paying off the Mongols rather than trying to fight them. Its what they did historically under Michael and Andronicus, and both were rewarded with an alliance with the Golden Horde and Ilkhanate. In a scenario without the Fourth Crusade I suspect the same thing would happen.

Also with regard to Anatolia, avoiding the Fourth Crusade leads to a really interesting scenario in that the balance of power stays the same but much of the elites in the Seljuq sultanate were becoming increasingly, well not assimilated but influenced and tied to the empire. Many of them like Kaykous I, Kaykous II, Mesud II, and so on spent time plenty of time in the empire as hostages/exiles and were educated and influenced by the Greek court. Most of them were of half or more Greek ancestry anyway through intermarriages. Some of them even apparently jointly practiced Christianity and Islam! The reverse was true on the Byzantine side, and many a magnate later held great influence in the Turkish courts- case in point Manuel Maurozomes who became an emir under the Seljuqs and was an important power player.

Without the Fourth Crusade, this fluid dynamic in the borderlands of partial assimilation and influence continues, which is going to play a problem come the influx of a new wave of Turkish migrants fresh off the steppes who did not like the lack of ghazi mentality found in their cousins. But until then, in the 60 or so years that continue on the population of Anatolia will get increasingly fluid in how they identify and act, and this is something that I find that's never addressed. This of course is to the potential benefit of the Romans in increasing their soft power and penetrating the Seljuq court.

The reason the Fourth Crusade got in trouble was because they had hired a specific amount of boats from Venice, which were built at great cost specifically for the expedition. But when the Crusade leaders gathered in Venice, they found that much fewer men than expected had showed up. This meant they were unable to pay the fees that they had promised. The Venetians were very angry, and demanded payment. This led to a difficult situation for all involved.

Let's say that either the leaders contracted Venice for a smaller number of ships, or that more men turned up. Either way, we have a scenario where the number of men that turn up is the correct number for the boats that Venice has provided, and the payment is made as planned. The Crusade then departs for Egypt.

The reason I asked, of course, is that the existence of a bolstered Crusader Levant, and perhaps even a Crusader Egypt, may have massive implications for course of Byzantine history.

Is it plausible that the (legitimate) emperor to get the crusaders on his side and use them for his purposes?
Now that is an interesting point! Turn the crusaders against the Venetians by sending the crusaders to fight rebels in Greece or Anatolia. Make a bargain with the Venetians by selling them part of Crimea/Crete/Ionian Islands/Galata, and then later retake those areas, playing off the Genovese/Pisan/Anconan and Venetian growing rivalry. Lands given to the crusaders can be tied to the emperor's service, thus keeping them economically dependent on the government, in Constantinople, and non hereditary. These Latins were there to fight, didnt matter who, and every man has a price. The Venetians are proto-capitalists so they can see that if the crusaders are no longer in their pocket, then settling with the Romans and still having the upper hand economically/militarily (they still have all those ships) may be in their better interest. This all requires a shrewd man at the helm of the Roman state. The Angeloi pretenders are an unkown variable however. These Latin lordlinglings can prove to be troublesome down the line as their lack of understanding of Roman laws and culture will be to their disadvantage. Revolts, schemes to seat Latin/feudal friendly emperors could be interesting.

For me, a Post-1204 scenario is contingent on the right leader emerging at the right time, and that is by no means guaranteed. However, lets assume for the sake of argument that we do. A reasonably competent dynasty has control of the Empire at some of its greatest height, and has an interesting opportunities on its doorstep.

1) The Mongol Conquests
a) As a result, the disintegration of the Sultanate of Rum, allowing the Romans to rapidly take advantage of its collapse. This is great for the Romans as they can engage in a rapid reconquest. However, as highlighted, the Mongols need to be kept on side.
b) Mongol Alliances - much like Russia in the north, the Romans could well take a position of an enforcer, or extension of Mongol Rule, working with the Mongols as allies whilst paying tribute to restore large swathes of the Roman Empire, because that tributary can project Mongol power. This means a SIGNIFICANT Mongol influence, and potentially a Romano-Borjiginid dynasty eventually takes the reigns of the Roman Empire.
c) Golden Horde-Ilkhanate Feud. Even if (b) doesn't happen, a stable Roman Empire between those two powers is obviously one that could be the focus of diplomatic efforts to destroy the other. That could bear fruit.

2) Lombard League - this is a huge deal, and could go a number of ways if the Romans are able to apply influence.
a) Roman support - the Lombard League as an ally of the Romans opens the door to the Romans re-entering S.Italy, and would potentially lead to the Lombard League becoming permenant (they want neither their new ally, nor the HRE as their rulers)
b) HRE support - the Romans could agree with the HRE to split Italy, and mutually apply authority over N.Italy. For the HRE, it means they don't need to repeatedly come south, for the Romans it puts them back in Italy. The key bit is how the power-sharing works. Do they both have a split of tribute? That I'm not 100% clear on. Alternatively, in exchange for 10% of the revenues of N.Italy in perpetuity, the HRE greenlights the Romans dealing with the Italians and annexing the region outright. The HRE suddenly has quite a lot of gold coming in for next to no effort. (And the Romans have Italy, and the Pope, in hand).
c) Papal Alliance - the HRE and Roman Empire are both able to counterweight each other. The Papacy could benefit from having the Romans in S.Italy, but the HRE in N.Italy once again. It guarantees Papal independence.

3) Reform. Again, the Mongols are so important for this period. The Mongol Empire uses similar strategies to some periods of the Roman army - mobile ranged cavalry, support troops, etc. This doesn't mean that both sides can't learn from each other. As stated earlier, I can see a Mongol-descendent family rising to the Purple. But the Mongols also open the door to ideas flowing east and west aggressively, and provide a period of peace, and likely brutal enforcement of that peace, to minimise civil wars in the Roman Empire. Long enough to instigate reforms. We could see all sorts of ideas come from China, or the Mongols. Potentially the Romans institute a system of Exams like in China, or take on board the Mongol merit system. Plus, with the Mongols enforcing peace on the Asian borders - a lot of the issues the Roman Emperors had with border Strategoi becoming very powerful and popular dissipates as they aren't needed. That border can be brought back under direct control, or even the Theme System abolished in favour of a central administration and Tagmata once again.

4) Expansion. I mentioned in 1b, that the Romans could be an enforcer and an extension of Mongol rule. This could facilitate a truly frighteningly large expansion. Romano-Mongol campaigns could hit Italy, Hungary, Africa, Arabia, Syria. We could see the Mongols establish a dozen smaller states that the Romans are in charge of collecting the tribute for, and sending it to Karakorum. The Romans also have to enforce that rule. Which means that if/when the Mongols collapse (I mean, the Romans could prevent that, see 1c as a potential root cause there) the Romans can pull a Moscow and walk into their former "enforcement zone" and establish either direct rule, or a series of eventually integrated Katepanates/administrations.

This is DEEPLY optimistic, because the alternative is that the Roman Empire is promenent enough to be seen as a worthwhile target. This could mean direct attack, or the Mongols partnering with the Seljuks to establish THEM as an enforcer.

EDIT : I realise I've completely missed out dealing with Bulgaria - that is an obvious potential, again on the same grounds as dealing with the Seljuks. Mongols smash, Romans waltz.
Would the mongols be able to conquer this stronger byzantine empire and most importantly constatinople?

Thomas1195

Banned
Don't forget that the Italians already had the controlling influence over Byzantine/Constantinople trade, at the expense of Byzantine merchants.

That was the case because of Byzantine hostile attitude towards trade, which was a long-established thing. It was perhaps a very bad legacy - one of the worse - it inherited from Rome. It would severely damage the Empire in the long run.
Without a deep change in culture and attitude, it would at best go the way of the Ottoman Empire IOTL without its early military success - I mean, the Sick Man of Europe - and unlike with the Ottoman IOTL, Venice would squash them like a bug on the sea.

Would the mongols be able to conquer this stronger byzantine empire and most importantly constatinople?

I don't see why the Byzatines would be handle Mongolic horse archers any better than Turkic horse archers. Of course Mongols may end up settling the Anatolian plateau