Nixon vs Humphrey, round 2

HHH ran in 72 and lost to McGovern. He poisoned the well for McGovern after he lost the California primary. If he did win in 72 who is his running mate? How does he win the nomination?

I imagine Humphrey makes the election somewhat closer (it's hard for anyone to lose with as big a margin as Mcgovern did), but it's still a fairly decisive Nixon win.

I think Humphrey will lose. This has positive ramifications for the Democratic Party long-term, as they will avoid the OTL alienation and destruction of organized Labor.

Humphrey loses, because much of what the Nixon people said about McGovern was more applicable to Humphrey.

Humphrey loses, because much of what the Nixon people said about McGovern was more applicable to Humphrey.

This. Only way to do it with a '72 POD is by having Larry O'Brien change CA's delegate apportionment from WTA to PR just before the convention starts. McGovern stalls and the ABM movement coalesces around HHH or maybe a compromise candidate. When all's said and done the result is a bigger clusterfark than OTL '68.

I d say Nixon 55 percent and Humphrey 43 percent. HHH carries at least Massachusettes, Washington DCRhode Island Wisconsin and Minnasota.

Nixon still wins

Humphrey wins the Democratic nomination on the second ballot and picks Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson of Washington state as his running mate. In terms of both popular vote percentage and electoral vote total, the Humphrey-Jackson ticket of 1972 outperforms the Humphrey-Muskie ticket of 1968. Nixon still wins because, without George Wallace running as a 3rd-party candidate, the once-Solid South votes heavily for Nixon.