New Hearts of Iron II Expansion?

I am now exceptionally confused.

I knew about Arsenal of Democracy when Paradox announced their 'Europa Engine' program, along with For the Glory remake of Europa Universalis II. A team of dedicated modders recreating an older Paradox game with new features and improvements, whilst getting paid for it as well. A fantastic idea in other words. It even has been expanded to Europa Universalis III, with Magna Mundi (as I am sure many of you already know). The bottom line is that I knew that Arsenal of Democracy would be the modder re-imagining of Hearts of Iron II.

But now I hear about Darkest Hour, another expansion made by modders with a commercial release. It sounds great; a new map, the campaign being extended to 1914, refined espionage and much more. However, I thought they already had their modder game for HoI II. Is this a brand new game? Is it an expansion to AoD? Will it be worth buying AoD knowing that Darkest Hour on the way? Could someone kindly help straighten out this situation for me?

PI seems to be getting into the business model of allowing 3rd party developers to take their games and run with them. And hell, why not? It costs them almost nothing to let someone rehabilitate an old game of theirs, it brings in some revenue, generates more interest in PI games, and - most importantly - makes a lot of fans very happy.

I see, thanks for straightening this all out.

On a slightly related note, would you guys recommend waiting for Darkest Hour or buy Arsenal of Democracy? It seems that DH is more ambitious than AoD and incorporates many elements from it, but am I desperately missing out on something with AoD that I cannot wait for until DH comes out?

On a slightly related note, would you guys recommend waiting for Darkest Hour or buy Arsenal of Democracy? It seems that DH is more ambitious than AoD and incorporates many elements from it, but am I desperately missing out on something with AoD that I cannot wait for until DH comes out?
Get both. AoD is really cheap and fun. DH will be different. I just play AoD for Doomsday with the extra tech slots. Best scenario ever.

Laurentia

Banned

Get DH. It has Kaiserreich.