Never made a peer

Queen Victoria's husband, Prince Albert became a British subject.
He was never made a peer. Could Prince Albert have been made a peer?

It would have been legally possible, but he was adamant that he didn't want one.

Why not? It wasn't as though there wasn't precedent (i.e. Queen Anne's husband was duke of Cumberland, and there had been murmurings of creating Leopold of Coburg duke of Kendal, while Jane Grey had flat out refused to name Guildford king but held out the offer of duke of Clarence to him). Or was this one of Al's weird reasonings? I remember that his position was rather ambivalent at foreign courts.

Why not? It wasn't as though there wasn't precedent (i.e. Queen Anne's husband was duke of Cumberland, and there had been murmurings of creating Leopold of Coburg duke of Kendal, while Jane Grey had flat out refused to name Guildford king but held out the offer of duke of Clarence to him). Or was this one of Al's weird reasonings? I remember that his position was rather ambivalent at foreign courts.
He was originally snubbed by the British public and parliament for being a prince of a backwater,tiny principality,and due to public opinion,the PM at the time refused to give him a peerage.As a matter of pride,he retorted that his position as a duke from a ruling dynasty was way more prestigious than any dukedom the British crown could have given.As a matter of principle,he refused being given any peerages even after the public and the parliament's opinion of him changed for the better.

He said that a British peerage would be a step down from a Saxon dukedom.