Need help putting together a TL partly set in '50s California...

Stolengood

Banned
Hey, all. I've been mulling over doing a TL for a while, and I've sort of got my heart set on this one, at least for now -- but I've no idea how to proceed, at least factually. That's where I'm sort of hoping to crowdsource info, or at least get the proper backing and framework to take the idea somewhere.

In the broad strokes, it concerns the Senatorial candidacy -- and, if it's deemed feasible by you, Senatorial career -- of a prominent filmmaker to Mr. Richard Nixon's old Senate seat in the 1952-'54 period -- again, it'll go beyond that, if deemed feasible. In the small strokes, and crucial details... okay, it's Orson Welles. :biggrin:

Welles was actually approached in this period to run, and considered it, but decided against -- the man assigned to him by the Democratic Party for his possible campaign later became a Senator from California in the exact seat Welles had been set to run for -- I refer, specifically, to Alan Cranston. (Yes! Alan Cranston!)

HOWEVER... I am not at all certain of the feasibility of this as a TL. Moreover, I want to be sure of details, electoral and otherwise, and obviously Wikipedia can only give a non-Californian like me so much. So... if anyone has the info, or even just helpful ideas in general, please, comment, reply, and post below. I could use all the help I can get! :)

Thank you very much, in advance. And, if this does go forward, I hope I don't embarrass myself too much... :p

I will say that California in the 1950s was considered something of a weird state. It was this satellite in the West that was not Eastern but was still metropolitan, developed and populace and all that, while having it's own distinct culture. It was a part of America that felt different.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
AlanCranston.jpg

http://www.boe.ca.gov/info/pub216/state_controller/AlanCranston.jpg

a youngish Al Cranston, would like to be able to date this photo