Nebraska panhandle joined Wyoming

well i was reading this and i noticed that it said the Nebraska panhandle wanted to secede from the rest of the state and join Wyoming because they didn't agree with the water laws in Nebraska but with Wyoming;s comments, discussion perhaps some coffee? http://www.buffalocommons.org/docs/smenu1/divided_nebr.html

~edit my lazy ass made a map

uber wyoming.PNG

Last edited:
This could actually lead to large events:

1. The secession of the western counties of Nebraska goes smoothly much like the creation of West Virginia.

2. However, the new part of Wyoming soon finds it unbearably boring as part of Wyoming and vote to create a new state. Wyoming doesn't like the hooligans in the eastern part of their state and agree to it. The state of Lincoln (in honor of the man and the capital of their ex-state) is formed, 1892.

3. Votes Populist in the 1892 election. Campaigned so hard for Populist movement, Weaver (Populist candidate) gets the electoral votes from Lincoln, Wyoming AND Nebraska for a total of 33 :eek:

4. In the 1896 election, the Lincoln farmers run wild at the Populist convention after WJB is nominated at the Dem. convention. They nominate him too and the Populists and Democrats unite.

5. In the election of 1896, with the help of activist Lincoln farmers, WJB wins the presidency, sweeping the West, South and parts of the Midwest.

6. WJB's foreign policy, fueled by isolationism, means no Spanish-American War, no Big Stick, no Panama Canal. Great success for American heartland and Republicans lose in 1900 and 1904.

7. In 1908, Theodore Roosevelt, after a visit to Lincoln in which he is booed and hissed at for his policies as Gov. of New York, decides to run for president to "get back at those Democrats in Lincoln". He wins.

8. Re-elected in 1912 and in 1914 when WWI breaks out, he joins Allies. This foreign policy is backlash against isolationism and TR is attempting to "make up" for lost time. Re-elected in 1916 despite Lincoln's 3 electoral votes going to the Democratic candidate.

9. Central Powers defeated in 1917 with honorable peace. Much credit given to contributions of American troops.

10. An International Congress for All Nations (ICAN - pronounced "I Can" and forever used as a motivational tool at seminars for depressed office workers) is formed. Everyone lives happily ever after.

All thanks to the secession of those Western counties of Nebraska.

It sparked the Wyomingite Land Grab of 1896, in which a bunch of Wyomking ranchers banded together and invaded SW South Dakota in an effort to restore the rectangular shape of Wyoming. Their leader was a retired Civil War veteran named Howrey as I recall.

well i was reading this and i noticed that it said the Nebraska panhandle wanted to secede from the rest of the state and join Wyoming because they didn't agree with the water laws in Nebraska but with Wyoming;s comments, discussion perhaps some coffee?

I think a little bit of Dave just died inside. :D

Thande

Donor
Hmm, if they did that, it would look as though the people with the rulers who drew the state lines had just flipped and rotated Wyoming ninety degrees, moved it a bit to the left, and called it Utah :D

I heard this came about later in the 20th Century due to lack of funds for road repairs, but ironically the whole thing was dropped because the people realized they would have to be University of Wyoming Cowboys rather than Nebraska Cornhuskers, who were a dominant football powerhouse back then.

2. However, the new part of Wyoming soon finds it unbearably boring as part of Wyoming and vote to create a new state. Wyoming doesn't like the hooligans in the eastern part of their state and agree to it. The state of Lincoln (in honor of the man and the capital of their ex-state) is formed, 1892.

Heretic :D