Napoleonic Partition of the Hapsburg Empire

wormyguy

Banned
A sequel to my previous thread, inspired by certain discussions people have recently had about a Napoleonic partition of Austria.

How would this look? Here's my proposal:

Upper Austria annexed to Bavaria, remainder of Austria plus Slovenia reorganized into a "Duchy of Vienna" and placed under a puppet monarch. Remainder of Galicia given to the Duchy of Warsaw (upgraded to kingdom?), or possibly Russia if applicable. Hungary reorganized into Kingdom of Hungary, which the Hapsburgs may be allowed to retain, and "Duchy of Transylvania." The remainder of Croatia is annexed to the Illyrian provinces.

A sequel to my previous thread, inspired by certain discussions people have recently had about a Napoleonic partition of Austria.

How would this look? Here's my proposal:

Upper Austria annexed to Bavaria, remainder of Austria plus Slovenia reorganized into a "Duchy of Vienna" and placed under a puppet monarch. Remainder of Galicia given to the Duchy of Warsaw (upgraded to kingdom?), or possibly Russia if applicable. Hungary reorganized into Kingdom of Hungary, which the Hapsburgs may be allowed to retain, and "Duchy of Transylvania." The remainder of Croatia is annexed to the Illyrian provinces.

wormyguy

Can't see what's happening here to Bohemia, which is one of, if not the richest, of their component parts? That might become an independent state.

Would be tempted to keep a core Austria under Hapsburg rule, the Duchy of Vienna as you call it, and spin off just about everything else. Hungary could be sprung off as a separate kingdom, either under a Magyar noble or possibly one of Napoleon's brothers. Would suggest keeping this at its historical size because it would be a counter to rump Austria and also, with Poland, to Russia. Also if you split off any Hungarian territories you will upset the Magyar nobility. [Croatia might be an exception given its close links to the Hapsburgs and unhappiness with Hungarian rule].

I think Galicia would have to go to Warsaw/Poland as they would be deeply offended by it going to the Russians. Also independent Poland and Hungary, both allied to France would make a useful buffer against Russia.

My thoughts anyway.

Steve

Can't see what's happening here to Bohemia, which is one of, if not the richest, of their component parts? That might become an independent state.

Bright day
From what I have been told Napoleon and his staff were pretty much unaware of Bohemia as possible separate entity from Austria. Though Bavaria has been interested in Bohemia not that long ago.

wormyguy

Banned
Ooh, forgot Bohemia. That would probably be independent, in personal union with one of Nappy's German puppets.

wormyguy

Banned
One more thing - assuming this scenario occurs, what parts of the Hapsburg Empire would become part of the Confederation of the Rhine?

Susano

Banned
Well, hm, thing is, such a partition would be entirely from without. Hence, Napoleon doesnt need to regard any local rules, and can simply install puppets - further Marshals of France becoming kings, I reckon. However, it probably be a rather simple division: An independent Hungary will ensure the support of the Hungarians, while OTOH the non-magyar peoples in the kingdom were not yet really important, so that means Hungary will probably stay together as one state. Bohemia, with Moravia, will become another client state, and the Austrian corelands might well to Bavaria for assistance rendered in the campaigns against Austria...