Napoleaon gets his 6 hours

Lets assume that the British Home fleet has been scatered by a divine wind and Napoleon gets his fleet of troop transports across the Channel (which by now is a mill pond - so the transport ships don't sink).

He lands an army of 200,000 at Norman Bay near Pevensy in Sussex (as this is where the French always seem to land for invasion). His arival takes the Sussex milita by suprise and he takes the Military Canal with minimal loss.

What happens next? Does he march on London? Where would the British try to stop him (a possible Battle of Crawley?)

Grey Wolf

Donor
Depending on the date, the Military Canal might well not be serviceable anyway.

And if they land around Eastbourne, as you suggest they are likely to head via Crawley towards London.

A Battle of Crawley looks on the cards. IIRC I once had Montgomery trying to stop an Imperial German invasion there.....

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf

Donor
Napoleon will be cut off from supplies and reinforcements by the Royal Navy.

Oops.

I'm pretty sure he's used to it.

If he takes London its going to bring the politicians to the table. There will be die-hards saying to fight on and wear the French down, but when faced with the reality of what this would mean, most politicians would deal.

This isn't Russia. The King can't say "Burn London" and withdraw.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

I'm pretty sure he's used to it.

If he takes London its going to bring the politicians to the table. There will be die-hards saying to fight on and wear the French down, but when faced with the reality of what this would mean, most politicians would deal.

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

For some reason, Irish Cossacks fail to arouse quite the same dread in a foeman.

Faeelin

Banned

He can certianly withdraw. The Spanish did it, and there were plans to raise a horrific number of milita.

Britain isn't Holland. It's a large, well populated country united behind opposition to a French invasion.

mowque

Banned
Fighting a war without a supply line isn't going to happen. this will have major butterflies, but I don't think he is going to make UK submit to him.

He can certianly withdraw. The Spanish did it, and there were plans to raise a horrific number of milita.

Britain isn't Holland. It's a large, well populated country united behind opposition to a French invasion.

Would the terrain of Britain really support a guerilla war well? This isn't Spain anyway. Napoleon's likely not stupid enough to put another Bonaparte on the throne there, and might agree to just some occupation of some sorts (at worst).

Faeelin

Banned
Would the terrain of Britain really support a guerilla war well? This isn't Spain anyway. Napoleon's likely not stupid enough to put another Bonaparte on the throne there, and might agree to just some occupation of some sorts (at worst).

Depends on where you are. But Napoleon, cut off from supply, having been forced to take several British fortifications, defeat British armies in the field, while militia are streaming in to meet him...

I'm not saying it's impossible, but napoleon isn't an Elder God who crushes all before him, and Britain's defenses were pretty significant. Everyone's assuming in this thread that he wins as soon as he touches down, and it's not clear why.

Depends on where you are. But Napoleon, cut off from supply, having been forced to take several British fortifications, defeat British armies in the field, while militia are streaming in to meet him...

I'm not saying it's impossible, but napoleon isn't an Elder God who crushes all before him, and Britain's defenses were pretty significant. Everyone's assuming in this thread that he wins as soon as he touches down, and it's not clear why.

How many horses can he bring with him? They are crucial in all sorts of ways, esp for foraging, if he can't keep a cross-channel supply line open.

Last edited:
And I wonder how you get weather conditions that scatter the British fleet AND leave the leave Channel calm as a mill pond. Those seem somewhat contradictory.

Faeelin

Banned
How many horses can he bring with him? They are crucial in all sorts of ways, esp for foraging, if he can't keep a cross-channel supply line open.

I do think there's room for a Revolutionary France to cross the Channel, after Britain gets bogged down in an Irish Rebellion, financial crisis, and crackdown on Spithead and Nore which makes OTL's mutinies look like a Festivus party. But it's hard.

Deleted member 14881

@ Faeelin Wasn't the French Navy kinda crappy b/c of purges ,but if they could have six hours and the RN districted by all that then a French Invasion is possible.

And I wonder how you get weather conditions that scatter the British fleet AND leave the leave Channel calm as a mill pond. Those seem somewhat contradictory.

Not to mention how a fleet that depends on wind power crosses a channel as calm as a mill pond anyhow. If the French can move, the British can and even if you can nadwave away every single battleship in the Royal Navy there are more than enough frigates, sloops, brigs, coastguard cutters and armed merchantmen in the channel to royally mess with any channel crossing.

mowque

Banned
I do think there's room for a Revolutionary France to cross the Channel, after Britain gets bogged down in an Irish Rebellion, financial crisis, and crackdown on Spithead and Nore which makes OTL's mutinies look like a Festivus party. But it's hard.

I don't think it is THAT hard to imagine a France that could invade the UK. One that manages to get the UK under it's thumb is even more difficult. Even nations as 'easy' to invade as Prussia and Austria turned very quickly as soon as France turned it's back. The UK would do the same.

Faeelin

Banned
@ Faeelin Wasn't the French Navy kinda crappy b/c of purges ,but if they could have six hours and the RN districted by all that then a French Invasion is possible.

They need more than a chance to cross the channel. Where do the French get ammunition? Reinforcements?

Obvoiusly this isn't necessary (witness Napoleon's invasion of Italy OTL), but it is certainly a dangerous risk to take.

Not to mention how a fleet that depends on wind power crosses a channel as calm as a mill pond anyhow. If the French can move, the British can and even if you can nadwave away every single battleship in the Royal Navy there are more than enough frigates, sloops, brigs, coastguard cutters and armed merchantmen in the channel to royally mess with any channel crossing.

Ships of the line, technically, but compulsive nitpicking aside - yeah.

To quote (from memory) someone who knew the conditions it would take to have the Royal Navy out of the way:

I do not say the French cannot come, just that they cannot come by sea.

That's the problem. Is the Royal Navy invincible? No. But the French navy isn't up to being able to beat it here, to that extent. So that leaves the weather, and well, finding that perfect storm of conditions is pretty dang unlikely. Anything dire enough to hurt the Royal Navy enough to matter will screw over the barges of the invasion fleet twice as hard.