Names for a Independent South

Let's say that at the Philadelphia Convention in 1787 a number of representatives pushed really hard for a banning of slavery at the adoption of the constitution. From my studies I have found that only The Carolinas and Georgia would have outright refused to join such a union (Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware would most likely have been willing to accept it if it was a timed end like the slave trade was IOTL).

If the Carolinas and Georgia seceded from the US at the adoption of the constitution and formed their own union in the south, what would they call it? For some reason I don't think the word "South" or "Southern" would be in the official title of their nation. I could be wrong though.

I lobbied for Carolina in the old thread, but that was based on assuming a mid-to-late 17th century POD. With a 1787 POD, though, Georgia has been distinct from the Carolinas for some time, so it doesn't fit as well as a general term for the Deep South.

At the time, "Columbia" was used as a near-synonym for "America". DC, Gran Colombia, and British Columbia don't exist yet to compete for primacy for the name. In this scenario, I wouldn't be surprised for the states ratifying the Constitution to keep the "United States of America" name, while the Carolinas and Georgia unify separately as the "United States of Columbia".

They might just go their own ways as separate, independent states. Perhaps a very loose union like the "Southern League" or something like that.

They could just go for Atlantis or Australia or Columbia or (New) Caledonia

Well, I dunno about the latter; one thing some may not realize is that, even in 1790, much of the current citizen population of the South was majority Anglo; I honestly doubt many lowlanders would be too happy to be stuck with that name, even if many of the Scots-Irish did eventually fight on the side of the Patriots.....

Atlantis seems a little too "Latin", and Australia was already taken at this point. Columbia might work, though.

Or, perhaps if we'd like to become a little more imaginative, why not New Wessex? Or New Sussex?

At the time, "Columbia" was used as a near-synonym for "America". DC, Gran Colombia, and British Columbia don't exist yet to compete for primacy for the name. In this scenario, I wouldn't be surprised for the states ratifying the Constitution to keep the "United States of America" name, while the Carolinas and Georgia unify separately as the "United States of Columbia".

You know where this will lead...

Burden+Not+Columbia+With+Your+Chaff.png

Bioshock_Infinite-Propaganda_Ad_11.jpg

800px-WashingtonmuralBIHD-1.jpg

All I can think of is 'Southland' considering 'Dixie' and deratives came in the 1810s onward and 'Southland' itself is both used occasionally AND is a neutral, obvious term for anything just coming out of being known as 'southern colonies' or merely 'the south'.

Carolina probably - Georgia at the time was basically just Savannah and a few homesteads.

So yeah, my bet would be the Carolina Confederation.

Let's say that at the Philadelphia Convention in 1787 a number of representatives pushed really hard for a banning of slavery at the adoption of the constitution. From my studies I have found that only The Carolinas and Georgia would have outright refused to join such a union (Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware would most likely have been willing to accept it if it was a timed end like the slave trade was IOTL).

If the Carolinas and Georgia seceded from the US at the adoption of the constitution and formed their own union in the south, what would they call it? For some reason I don't think the word "South" or "Southern" would be in the official title of their nation. I could be wrong though.

Why would Virginia accept a devastation if its economy? They wanted the ban on the slave trade to maintain the value of their slaves. Abolition is very different.

Personally I like Appalachia, especially if that "independent South" were to contain the Floridas (or at least the portions west of the Apalachicola River) due to the fact that the name stems from an old native settlement near today's Tallahassee, Florida.

Other than that I agree that Southland, Carolina and Columbia are other available alternatives.