My first attempt at a TL: Jamestown 1607

A sort of TL I devised a while back in my first semester as a history major.

POD----Suppose the London Company (later the Virginia Company) had the foresight to recognize that the colony they proposed to establish needed farmers, trappers, scouts, hunters, artisans, and soldiers more than they needed goldsmiths, jewelers, bankers and a perfumer(!).

Instead of looking for a "get rich quick" type scheme (ala OTL) they send the former, realizing that a colony of any sort, let alone a proprietary colony is a long term investment that must succeed in the short term before any "fruits" can be received.

Christopher Newport is made leader of the expedition, and requisite provisions are given to them.

The colonists then arrive in unforgiving swamps of the Virginia Chesapeake on or about May 14th, 1607, and immediately begin building a fort and settlement. They trade with the local inhabitants, hunt for game, fish, and try their hand at farming. But realizing soon that the area has little opportunities for any of the above save trading, after 3 or 4 months the colonists decide that their new settlement is not in the best of locations.

The decision is made to leave their little island and look for a better opportunity farther upriver.

-----If there is enough interest, I may continue this TL when I have more time. Or if someone else wants to pick it up, feel free!

A sort of TL I devised a while back in my first semester as a history major.

POD----Suppose the London Company (later the Virginia Company) had the foresight to recognize that the colony they proposed to establish needed farmers, trappers, scouts, hunters, artisans, and soldiers more than they needed goldsmiths, jewelers, bankers and a perfumer(!).

Instead of looking for a "get rich quick" type scheme (ala OTL) they send the former, realizing that a colony of any sort, let alone a proprietary colony is a long term investment that must succeed in the short term before any "fruits" can be received.

Christopher Newport is made leader of the expedition, and requisite provisions are given to them.

The colonists then arrive in unforgiving swamps of the Virginia Chesapeake on or about May 14th, 1607, and immediately begin building a fort and settlement. They trade with the local inhabitants, hunt for game, fish, and try their hand at farming. But realizing soon that the area has little opportunities for any of the above save trading, after 3 or 4 months the colonists decide that their new settlement is not in the best of locations.

The decision is made to leave their little island and look for a better opportunity farther upriver.

-----If there is enough interest, I may continue this TL when I have more time. Or if someone else wants to pick it up, feel free!

Well, being on an island probably made it more defensible, leaving might not be so good.

OTOH, when we visited Jamestown, they pointed out that for any housebuilding, the first thing they did was build a brickyard on the spot for the bricks - in other words the whole settlement was on clay suitable for bricks - which kind of rules it out for being suitable for farming.

The thing is that it was the Indians who allowed the colonists to live not that Jamestown was on an island that protected the colonists. The indians saw these Europeans as potential allies and a good economic resource. So as long as their aren't to many Europeans and they mind their place they should be okay.

Faeelin

Banned
Hrmm. This is an interesting question. But would the colony have received as much venture capital if the plan was "establish substistence farmers?"

Thats a good question. Personally I doubt it. Its not like Tobacco was unknown to the English but I don't think that would tempt a lot of the backers. It'd be interesting if a group like the Pilgrims was able to finance the voyage and go on their own.

Valdemar II

Banned
Hrmm. This is an interesting question. But would the colony have received as much venture capital if the plan was "establish substistence farmers?"

Maybe if they had, presented it as the first phase, making it posssible for greater gain later.

Thats a good question. Personally I doubt it. Its not like Tobacco was unknown to the English but I don't think that would tempt a lot of the backers. It'd be interesting if a group like the Pilgrims was able to finance the voyage and go on their own.

Remember, too, that the local tobacco was .. not very nice. It didn't become a serious cash crop until John Rolfe introduced a sweeter 'spanish' tobacco in ?1617?