Muslim Age of Sail: shipboard drinking

It is well-known that,

a) The Medieval and Early Modern eras saw extensive seafaring by Muslims, such as Arabs, Swahilis, and Malays, and Islam forbids drinking alcohol; and

b) In the Age of Sail, European ship crews drank large amounts of alcohol, which preserved better than fresh water on long ocean voyages.

My question is, what did Arab and other Muslim sailors going between Arabia and China drink? What did ships carrying pilgrims to the Hajj give their passengers to drink?

First of all, traditionally Muslim are allowed to drink any substance if there is a necessity and benefit. Therefore in dire straits, it is permissible to drink or consume haram substances.

On drinks other than wine:

Nabidh was a drink that after a certain time can be an intoxicant that Muhammad is said to have drank as well as the other Muslims. It is distinct from wine which is Khamr, but similar.

Buza and Coffee were used by the Ottomans and later Islamic states in the Renaissance and late Middle Ages.

By and large Muslim sea trade was in regions where 'short' coastal hops were practical (there's a good density of established harbours with towns/cities attached in the Mediterranean; down the eastern coast of Africa and along the coast of modern Iran over to India), hence, water could be replenished much more often than on, say, a trans-Atlantic or Europe-India voyage.

Also,and just a quick note I'm far, far, far from an expert on this and it's going on what I've picked up second hand about the place, the muslim 'taboo' on the consumption of ethanol hasn't been as absolute in the past, with the bits of scripture behind it either ignored or interpreted in a different manner (against intoxication, not against all consumption IIRC).

But in the Tang era, there were Muslims going back and forth between Basra and Guangzhou... did they land-hug too, or did they drink alcohol, or did they drink nabidh?

By and large Muslim sea trade was in regions where 'short' coastal hops were practical (there's a good density of established harbours with towns/cities attached in the Mediterranean; down the eastern coast of Africa and along the coast of modern Iran over to India), hence, water could be replenished much more often than on, say, a trans-Atlantic or Europe-India voyage.

Also,and just a quick note I'm far, far, far from an expert on this and it's going on what I've picked up second hand about the place, the muslim 'taboo' on the consumption of ethanol hasn't been as absolute in the past, with the bits of scripture behind it either ignored or interpreted in a different manner (against intoxication, not against all consumption IIRC).

One also assumes the prohibition would have been more lax among relatively marginal members of society like sailors.

But in the Tang era, there were Muslims going back and forth between Basra and Guangzhou... did they land-hug too, or did they drink alcohol, or did they drink nabidh?

Technically either. However it is permissible within sharia typically to drink Nabidh, which is what the sailors likely drank. I would have to do some research to be 100% for sure, but I am very sure as of right now.

Don't forget the regular trade between India and the Swahili coast, even with the monsoon winds the best times would be a month at the least. It probably happened, though for cost sake there would be the classic 5% beer and the more plentiful diluted drinking water.

Tea is unlikely - it required boiling water, which was not feasible in sufficient quantities on long ocean voyages.

Apparently, Early Modern European sailors did drink water (link), but they also drank alcohol, especially when the ship was in northern waters. The gallon-of-beer-per-day ration was for British ships near Britain - in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean, they used stronger drinks like wine, and the reduced amount of liquid required also stocking up on water.

There are several differences to consider. European crew size of a naval ship was far larger than a East Indiaman (armed, but not heavy) versus a non-affiliated commercial relatively if not completely unarmed sailing ship.

What is the maximum size of an Arab trading vessel (Dhow) and what was the typical crew size?

...What about water? :p

The problem with water is that it gets infected with microbes and goes bad, all slimy. If you seal it in glass or ceramic decanters it goes bad anaerobically. Keeping it in skins or wooden casks increases the amount of nutrients microbes can metabolize.

Drinks tended to be alcoholic because the alcohol tends to kill and thus check the infections; various kinds of booze can still go bad, especially if the alcohol content is modest, but beer or wine would keep a lot better than clean water. Bear in mind that "fresh" water that has not been boiled or chemically treated is already infected from the get-go, the moment you scoop it out of a flowing stream or well.

Being made from dates, grapes or other sweet fruits, nabidh might start out without significant fermentation but apparently the drink is pretty much defined as being prepared just when the fermentation is starting. Freshly made nabidh would have no alcohol to speak of but after it has been stored a while it will build up a kick; presumably the microorganisms that do the fermenting are relatively harmless and have largely preempted other infections, and gradually as the alcohol builds it gets harder and harder for bad infections to take place. The catch-22 is that of course this is because it is turning into actual booze!

As others have pointed out, all the Islamic prohibitions and commandments are relative; they are meant to be rational and give way to necessity. One can eat forbidden foods if hosts with good intentions serve it to you as a guest for instance--it would be rude to turn down their hospitality. A Muslim is enjoined not to make up unnecessary occasions to break the rules of course, but if true necessity exists, any rule can be waived. If in fact then seamen laid in supplies of fresh nabidh that didn't get them drunk and it gradually got stronger, then Allah's will be done--unless of course the crew darn well knows an alternative exists.

I was wondering whether some alternatives, such as tea or coffee, might in fact have sufficient antiseptic properties to become such an alternative. Certainly in order to make either, one has to boil the water first, or anyway heat it up quite a lot. If one has casks of water that have gone bad, boiling water taken from them and then drinking it once it cooled a bit would probably eliminate the infectious microbes, but I suppose the stuff would still taste terrible. And there might be some toxins left. Anyway freshly made coffee or tea would surely take care of the problems (insofar as the boiled water was itself any good). If possible it would be better to just drink the boiled water, since caffeine is itself a sort of intoxicant (but never prohibited, though I gather there was some debate about that for some generations). It is also a diuretic so if the point is to keep adequately hydrated it is a bit counterproductive!

For the past half decade or so I've had the terrible habit of making a pot of coffee once every several days, and on subsequent mornings just drinking yesterday's or the day before's cold coffee until it is gone, and I have to make another pot.:eek::eek::p Well, this obviously dubious practice of mine hasn't killed me yet, so I have to wonder whether a pot of strong coffee does indeed resist infection in itself, or if I'm just stupid lucky. Or sicker than I realize.

Anyway, I gather coffee was not largely known among Arabs until relatively recently, just the past 700 years or so, whereas of course the Muslim era was half elapsed by then, so it would have been exotic and not generally available to them in the classic centuries of the early Caliphates (and still less in pre-Islamic days of course). They might have known about tea for longer, but of course it would be an expensive, rare exotic import from a country that was a byword for being distant, at the far end of the known world. One they did trade with, but not on terms where they could get massive shiploads of the stuff on advantageous terms the way the British East India Company learned to do (by trading in opium, ultimately:eek::eek::rolleyes:). Anyway I don't know that tea keeps even as well as coffee does (as a brew I mean).

I also wonder whether the scientifically minded early Muslims ever experimented with simply boiling water--keep it in glass or ceramic jars to minimize infusion of biochemicals, and periodically pour the supply into a kettle, boil it, let it cool, and pour back into the bottles which would have any slime scoured away and rinsed. This would deplete a given supply faster than simply leaving it alone, both from rinsing and from evaporation, but if the outcome is healthful water to drink on long voyages (or over land desert expeditions) that is surely worth knowing about anyway. Fire on ships is something to keep a close watch on, and fuel might be hard to come by in the desert, but I do wonder if anyone ever stumbled on the practice of boiling water to purify it.

Another trick might be to have drinks stored in alcoholic form, so they keep, but then distill the alcohol out, again by gentle boiling, to drink the residue with lower alcohol content.

I have no reason to think the Arabs traditionally ever did any of these things, but I do wonder about experiments along these lines and if so, were they abandoned because they proved impractical.

Last edited:
I was being somewhat silly, but isn't water drinkable for a couple weeks to a month if stored in say, a sealed cask? It's not the optimal solution, which would obviously be to decontaminate it with alcohol, but I can't see it being detrimental to seafaring.

It's iffy. In the months leading up to the Spanish Armada attack, Francis Drake raided the Iberian coast (hitting both Spanish and Portuguese ports) and captured a big supply of seasoned wood, suitable for cask making. He didn't have room to seize it all, but he burned it up instead. It turned out that in preparing for the fleet, no large alternative sources were available, and one of the many hardships the Armada suffered was bad water turning green in the inferior unseasoned casks they had available. It seriously affected their options and operations.

And it did take them a long time to get from Spain to English coastal waters.

(Even the English had supply problems, and they had the tremendous advantage of their home coast being right nearby, under royal orders to aid them by every means possible. Sometimes "possible" still fell short though. But the Spanish were in much worse case, having taken weeks to get where they were and with no reliable ports nearby. The French master of Calais port did allow them to take on provisions in the middle of the campaign--but not, IIRC, powder and shot).

Generally I suppose, decent cask wood could be found, in adequate amounts for prudent use. Still, it was always preferred to have beer or wine. Perhaps not out of strict necessity!:p

Nabidh is technically alcoholic, it is the word for wine typically in today's time for instance, but is allowed only because Muhammad is said to have drank it regularly with his soldiers in Madinah. Mind you some dispute this view and say that all intoxicants are Khamr and all Khamr intoxicants, this view is held by those such as al-Bukhari and Abu Muslim. However in the flip side these opinions are countered by Badr al-Deen al-Aini and Yahya ibn Ma'yeen.

I suggested coffee could be a form of drink to use, but it came a little late for the period in question.

jahenders

Banned
One also assumes the prohibition would have been more lax among relatively marginal members of society like sailors.

And, being farther from Mecca and their home communities, they might be more inclined to drink with the rationalizing logic, "Allah no see me here." That logic is, after all, used today by quite a few Saudis who go to Bahrain to party and drink alcohol.

And, being farther from Mecca and their home communities, they might be more inclined to drink with the rationalizing logic, "Allah no see me here." That logic is, after all, used today by quite a few Saudis who go to Bahrain to party and drink alcohol.

It's doubtful that communities of muslin in the 800s are as decadent as Saudi princes, at least outside of the Abbasid royalty. Also I doubt Saudi princes who do that have a religious argument for doing so, nor a necessity issue, they are just decadent lol. So of course a bunch of decadent sailors would have no problem but that's beside the point.

They might have used vinegar, it was supposedly added to water even bc by some civilizations.

Yes, vinegar was very popular and loved by Muhammad.

Al Bayhaqi narrated:

"A household with vinegar will never suffer poverty."

There are many Hadith mentioning Muhammad eating bread with vinegar and saying that vinegar was the best of condiments.