Motoring Along

Start your engines.
“Back then, I was just a kid from Petaluma. I didn’t know a thing about politics. I know more now. Or at least I know enough not to run. Still I have a platform that I can use to influence things. And I intend to use it.” –Polly Klaas, on the set of X-Men: Children of the Atom, 2002.

“I believe, now more than ever, that the work we did during the Nineties is not complete. Just as the work of our Founding Fathers is not done. However, I take great pride in knowing that what we did is being built on by succeeding administrations.”-Former Secretary of Energy Al Gore, CNN interview just before the 2020 Democratic National Convention.

“Of course back then we were in the process of trying to create the Super Famicom CD (Ed. Note: Super Nintendo CD in the West) with Sony. It was then that I reread the contract and saw those clauses about Sony getting One Hundred Percent of the royalties. How we missed that in the first place, I don’t know. Still, I went to (Norio) Ohga-san and we went to the negotiating table again. Fortunately, it worked out in the end.”-President of Nintendo Hiroshi Yamauchi, interview with Game Informer, June 2005 issue.

-

November 6, 1990.

Going in it seemed like such an easy thing. James Blanchard was running for a third term as Governor of Michigan. He had taken over what was described as the “toughest Governor’s job in America” in 1983. Michigan was in debt up to its eyeballs, facing likely bankruptcy, and with the worst credit rating in the country. Now, nearly eight years since he took over, it was coming down to this: was it enough for the people of his state to give him a third term?

As the votes started to come in, it was tense. The Republican counties were coming in strong. Late in the night, something changed. More votes were coming into the Democratic column. It looked like Governor Blanchard would win a third term after all. By the end of the night, that’s what happened: by a slim, but good enough, margin Democrat James Blanchard beat his Republican opponent, John Engler, 50.31%-49.69%.

(This is our POD. In OTL, James Blanchard lost to John Engler by 18,405 votes or .69%)