• Nilats

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Martin23230

Votes: 43 43.0%
  • modelcitizen

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
By the way, why do people keep saying that all the entries except Martin's and rvbomally's look the same? Yes, it's mostly true, but what about Kaiphranos'?

Fair point, yes. And I really should've read Bruce's scenario, too, but I was feeling lazy I guess. :eek:

Krall

Banned
I couldn't see Modelcitizens.:eek:

modelcitizen posted their map before their description, so it should be attached to the penultimate post of the entries thread.

By the way, why do people keep saying that all the entries except Martin's and rvbomally's look the same? Yes, it's mostly true, but what about Kaiphranos'?

This post brings up two important points: firstly that Kaiphranos' map was good to an extent that I believe is not properly reflected by the votes; and secondly that this challenge had a very large number of similar looking maps, most of which were based off of the same basemap.

The latter is obviously an undesirable situation - MotF is meant to let people to test their abilities and prompt good map-making - so we have to consider why it has happened. The only reason I can see is that the challenge focused more on world maps than regional maps, making maps based off of the standard AH.com basemaps an easy option. Whilst it would be a bad idea to exclude world maps from all MotF rounds it seems like we should avoid focusing the challenge on world maps, in order to prompt more original and aesthetically pleasing entries.

This post brings up two important points: firstly that Kaiphranos' map was good to an extent that I believe is not properly reflected by the votes; and secondly that this challenge had a very large number of similar looking maps, most of which were based off of the same basemap.

Thank you kindly, though I think Martin has us all beat fair and square this week! :D

The latter is obviously an undesirable situation - MotF is meant to let people to test their abilities and prompt good map-making - so we have to consider why it has happened. The only reason I can see is that the challenge focused more on world maps than regional maps, making maps based off of the standard AH.com basemaps an easy option. Whilst it would be a bad idea to exclude world maps from all MotF rounds it seems like we should avoid focusing the challenge on world maps, in order to prompt more original and aesthetically pleasing entries.

Eh, I think this is the type of situation that tends to be self-correcting: we do mostly non-world map rounds anyway; having a challenge every so often where the standard base map predominates means that some people are encouraged to enter who might not do so otherwise, and then the pendulum swings back the other way...

I agree with Kaiphranos. I don't think that intervention from above would be advisable, it would be better to let things go naturally.

Krall

Banned
Thank you kindly, though I think Martin has us all beat fair and square this week! :D

To be perfectly honest, yours was the only map that actually looked like a Cold War map, rather than a relatively generic political map. Martin got points for style, but you got more points for theme.

Eh, I think this is the type of situation that tends to be self-correcting: we do mostly non-world map rounds anyway; having a challenge every so often where the standard base map predominates means that some people are encouraged to enter who might not do so otherwise, and then the pendulum swings back the other way...
I agree with Kaiphranos. I don't think that intervention from above would be advisable, it would be better to let things go naturally.

Hmm, alright, that makes sense. It does seem like a good idea to have an "easier" challenge every now and then to entice less experienced map-makers to join in!