• Alex Richards

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • CourageousLife

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Ares96

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd be more inclined to vote for people if they didn't utterly blow up their maps to the point that I need to zoom out 900% in order to see them properly.

The problem is, these sorts of maps tend to be quite dense with stops- I really cannot make mine much smaller without the text getting cramped.

56 votes so far

8 votes - islander, lock
7 votes - CourageousLife, Dr. Nodelescu, Pischinovski
6 votes - Jonathan Edelstein
5 votes - Xibalba
4 votes - Ares96
2 votes - Alex Richards
1 vote - King Alvar I, psephos

Nice to see I've been overtaken for the first time. Anyway, the "upper" half of contestants each have between 10 and 15 per cent of the votes. No matter what kind of criteria a rulebook would set in the future, we see there are lot of contestants that are really neck and neck and that any winner of this round may find a bigger empiric disapproval than any of the losers.

My proposal for cases like this:

That seems both premature and a bit aggressive IMO. At this point in time, we'd have a Map duel between Islander and Lock and 3-7 Honourable mentions depending on whether Krall goes for the 1/3 rule or decides to just all those who were 1 point behind.

Krall

Banned
That seems both premature and a bit aggressive IMO. At this point in time, we'd have a Map duel between Islander and Lock and 3-7 Honourable mentions depending on whether Krall goes for the 1/3 rule or decides to just all those who were 1 point behind.

I'd go with the 1/3 rule, regardless of how many awkward "This person made a map! Wooo!" descriptions I'd have to write. :p

The problem is, these sorts of maps tend to be quite dense with stops- I really cannot make mine much smaller without the text getting cramped.
If it's about metro maps, there's actually kind of a magic quadrangle at play. The irreconcilable aims would be totality, network details, geographic details and actual at-hand utility (right on screen or pocket-size).

Xibalba: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility +
Jonathan Edelbstein: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility +
Dr. Nodelescu: totality +, network -, geographic +, utility - (Notes are readable, but it hardly suits in order to get around)
King Alvar I: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility -
islander: totality +, network +, geographic +, utility +
Pischinovski: totality +, network +, geographic +, utility -
lock: totality -, network +, geographic +, utility +
psephos: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility +
Alex Richards: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility +
CourageousLife: totality -, network +, geographic -, utility -
Ares96: totality +, network +, geographic -, utility -

Yes, I'm getting aggressive. I'd go ballistic if CourageousLife won with his vaguely fitting entry. Votes for him came for the beauty of South America, but not for the metro maps. Oh, now we have a foursome at pole position that could easily get a sixsome (or hexsome?).

I'd go with the 1/3 rule, regardless of how many awkward "This person made a map! Wooo!" descriptions I'd have to write. :p
Yeah, like MotF 83, Atop A Throne Of Skulls. It's inflatious, but at least I got that thing in my mind what's supposed to be there in mid-21st century Southern India. Grey Goo is sooo 2006, Pink Goo is innit. Though I don't know if I really wanted to know.

Two votes could tie this up six ways.
Map Sexuel, the Hexagonal Rapefest for Honor and Glory. Count me in! Wait a minute, would we really want that?

Krall

Banned
Map Sexuel, the Hexagonal Rapefest for Honor and Glory. Count me in! Wait a minute, would we really want that?

This is a personal thing rather than a MotF contest administration thing, but I'd rather you didn't use the term "rape" casually like that.

If we're already at it: Has Krall got an idea for the Map Duel?

Not yet. I generally don't think about which challenge to use for a Map Duel until a tie is confirmed.

Aesthetically, all of these maps are pretty much on the same level, but Jonathan's scenario is the most interesting. He also set his map in the most unique area. So, it was close between everybody, but his gets my vote.

After 69 votes, the Republic of Genitalia Evening Standard shows the following polls:

10 votes - Jonathan Edelstein, Pischinovski, lock
9 votes - islander, CourageousLife
8 votes - Dr. Nodelescu

Rest stays the same. I feel so weird being the "worst" among the "great".

After 69 votes, the Republic of Genitalia Evening Standard shows the following polls:

10 votes - Jonathan Edelstein, Pischinovski, lock
9 votes - islander, CourageousLife
8 votes - Dr. Nodelescu

Rest stays the same. I feel so weird being the "worst" among the "great".

Seriously, will you just calm down. I know you're quite emotionally involved about this one, but so was Reagent about our 'no Mfecane' collab and he didn't feel the need to blast it out all on thread like this.

If it's about metro maps, there's actually kind of a magic quadrangle at play. The irreconcilable aims would be totality, network details, geographic details and actual at-hand utility (right on screen or pocket-size).

!!! Harry Beck* just phoned TfL; apologises for his electrical circuit diagram; suggests they bring back this as better filling the criteria. ;)

*to whom I apologise, as well as to the rest of you, for my entry

May my Johnson grow longer and stronger and may many rides on my freshly washed Johnson still be made!
I feel MUCH better now. I'm glad to see that lock is achieving a clear victory after all. Congratulations!