Most morbid AH

Hapsburg

Banned
Perhaps the Halo series could also qualify. Although it's never shown in the games, much of the Earth is depopulated during the Covenant invasion.
Earth itself is intact. The only continent they show being totally destroyed is Africa; the rest seems to be going fine. The Covenant took care to avoid obliterating it, because they had no idea it was the Human homeworld; they were going after the Ark.

But, the rest of humanity is pretty much dead; all of Earth's colonies and fortress-worlds are ravaged and scorched away. Wiped off the face of the Galaxy like so much acne.

It's subtler, but Charles Stross' Missile Gap is pretty grim from an intellectual viewpoint. It's pretty short, so I won't spoil it for anyone. I will say that, thanks to this story, I no longer feel compassion towards ants of any species.

It's subtler, but Charles Stross' Missile Gap is pretty grim from an intellectual viewpoint. It's pretty short, so I won't spoil it for anyone. I will say that, thanks to this story, I no longer feel compassion towards ants of any species.

Yeah, that's... not good. I feel sorry for humanity in that one.
Damn ISOTs.

A Colder War (also by Charles Stross), also has a very, very bleak ending.
Do not read it before trying to go to sleep.

Yeah, that's... not good. I feel sorry for humanity in that one.
Damn ISOTs.

A Colder War (also by Charles Stross), also has a very, very bleak ending.
Do not read it before trying to go to sleep.

The events in A Colder War could've been avoided if both superpowers had cooperated and not tinkered around with those Lovecraftian 'artifacts' - in Missile Gap, they were already screwed from the get-go.

The events in A Colder War could've been avoided if both superpowers had cooperated and not tinkered around with those Lovecraftian 'artifacts' - in Missile Gap, they were already screwed from the get-go.

Mmmm. Yes, a story well worth reading online, though not when you are feeling depressed......:(

Most Morbid

There was a short story by Ray Bradbury about an automated house that runs through its daily routine, oblivious to the fact that its family has been incinderated by the nuclear bomb that wiped out the city it stands on the edge of. The story ends with what's left of the house calling out some mundane request of its masters' over and over... (I can't recall the name of the story) As for future history, check out the short story The Cold Equations. It's one of those stories that is very good, but you only read once.

There was a short story by Ray Bradbury about an automated house that runs through its daily routine, oblivious to the fact that its family has been incinderated by the nuclear bomb that wiped out the city it stands on the edge of. The story ends with what's left of the house calling out some mundane request of its masters' over and over... (I can't recall the name of the story) As for future history, check out the short story The Cold Equations. It's one of those stories that is very good, but you only read once.
Yeah, Ray Bradbury's Stories can be Chilling, There are Times when Fahrenheit 451 Seems Like The Most Positive Thing he EVER Wrote ...

As for The Cold Equations ...

Completely Implausible, But it Sends a Tingle Riight up your Spine Regardless, a Truly Outstanding Read!

:eek:

There was a short story by Ray Bradbury about an automated house that runs through its daily routine, oblivious to the fact that its family has been incinderated by the nuclear bomb that wiped out the city it stands on the edge of. The story ends with what's left of the house calling out some mundane request of its masters' over and over... (I can't recall the name of the story)

Yea, our English teacher made us analyze that exact chapter in my Sophomore year. Man that teacher was cool :D

I'm pretty sure it's from the Martian Chronicles.

But that one's not to be taken seriously. It's a peace protester who hates the US over Viet Nam and writes a hate book about them. It doesn't really say anything about AH...

"There will come soft rains." Great story.

Bump.

After reading "The Second Black Plague," I must say that is one of the most depressing things I have read in a long time (at least up until part 7).

How is that even possible?
They had no idea that it was the human homeworld until they had already invaded. They found Earth based on searching for old Forerunner artifacts, and that's why they were there: they had manage to find out that there was supposed to be some important Forerunner remnants on the third planet of a particular system.

I think, I haven't actually played the games.

They had no idea that it was the human homeworld until they had already invaded. They found Earth based on searching for old Forerunner artifacts, and that's why they were there: they had manage to find out that there was supposed to be some important Forerunner remnants on the third planet of a particular system.

I think, I haven't actually played the games.

You are correct; the first covenant invasion of Earth was kind of an accident; they didn't expect it to be the human homeworld, and the heavy resistance that it contained. They paid for that; the flagship was the only ship that escaped out of the 15-ship fleet that arrived.

However, the doomed Covenant fleet figured out that this was the human homeworld, AND the site of the Ark, sent a message to High Charity (the Covenant capitol) and a much more MASSive fleet was organized and invaded Earth a few weeks later-several hundred ships, at least.

By the time Halo 3 starts, the Covenant have smashed formal human resistance, as well as several cities, but instead of continueing their campaign, they withdraw almost completely to East Africa, and begin diggin up the Ark. However, it should be noted that there were still several major human armies in hiding, as well as ships; it can be presumed that they either fled into space (assuming that the Covennant left the rest of Sol intact in their search for the Ark, which is not unlikely, IMO) or hid themselves, as shown in the first few levels (a large human military base).