Most important military or naval victory by country?

Russia: the Battle of Moscow, Oct. 41-Jan. 42. Thereafter, the Germans could seize more territory and win tactical victories, but Barbarossa had failed strategically.

How about?

HMS Armada
HMS Trafalgar

for the two new CVs...with all due respect to the monarch(s), seems a little more "national" in appeal/

Likewise,
HMS Marne
HMS Britain
+ various other "battles" (with due attention to English, Irish, Scots, Welsh, and "neighborly" sensitivities)

for the new AAW destroyer/cruisers, would seem more appropriate than the alphabetical classes, plus gives an opportunity to elide some of the "devolution" and "union"-related issues...

Any thoughts on four more "battle" names for the Type 45s that would address the political issues? If Marne gives a nod toward Europe, and Britain toward, well Britain, what would the best choices for the English, Irish, Scots, and Welsh honorees?

Seriously, I mean - HMS Ethandun, Carraig, Sruighlea, and Baddon?

Best,

It's not really a Royal Navy tradition, however, to name ships after battles, the very occasional Agincourt or Camperdown notwithstanding. It's one of the endearing things about the RN.

For the portuguese I'd go with the admittedly small scale fighting btw republicans and monarchists in the 5th October revolution that gave us a republic. It was a close run thing, and it could have gone the other way. If it did, we might still be a monarchy...

It's not really a Royal Navy tradition, however, to name ships after battles, the very occasional Agincourt or Camperdown notwithstanding. It's one of the endearing things about the RN.

Except for the battle class destroyers of course...

Except for the battle class destroyers of course...

And HMS Waterloo… and HMS Ramillies… and HMS Trafalgar… and HMS Cressy… and HMS Poictiers… and HMS Blenheim… That's quite a lot of British warships named after battles.

The Royal Navy doesn't seem to have fixed traditions in regard to ship naming in general, though it does start traditions for individual classes. I don't think that Britons are very organised or systematic about such things, certainly not to an American extent. That's not a criticism of the American way of doing it, merely an observation. It comes in common with quite a lot of things, and is probably due, to a great extent, to simple age: things here continue to be the way they always have been, only changing when someone feels especially bothered.

For the portuguese I'd go with the admittedly small scale fighting btw republicans and monarchists in the 5th October revolution that gave us a republic. It was a close run thing, and it could have gone the other way. If it did, we might still be a monarchy...

You have my condolences that it happened the way it did, then. :D

snipped
I don't think that Britons are very organised or systematic about such things, certainly not to an American extent. That's not a criticism of the American way of doing it, merely an observation. It comes in common with quite a lot of things, and is probably due, to a great extent, to simple age: things here continue to be the way they always have been, only changing when someone feels especially bothered.

snipped

Such as not bothering to write a Constitution elucidating rights? :p

And for the USN, USS Kearsarge (which we have), Yorktown (she did more at Midway than the Enterprise), and Oregon (or any of the Spanish American War ones, just to recycle less used names) are my somewhat random 3.

East

New Zealand is commissioning a major warship, which will be the most capable of any in its fleet - rather than simply honoring geography (New Zealand or Aotearoa), or a political or other abstract ideal, select a name that honors the sacrifices and accomplishment achieved by New Zealanders on (a single) battlefield...what would it be?

Best,
HMNZS Coral Sea for the Battle of Coral Sea closed the door....

To count, I will generally disregard victories (like Normandy) that can be attributed to more than one nation.

I also won't get bogged down in details and may consider an entire operation than included several linked or related battles.

Germany - the conquest of France 1940
Italy - Conquest of Ethiopia maybe or something by frogmen?
Japan - Tsushima
Russia/USSR - Kursk
Great Britain - El Alamein
France - Verdun
United States - Leyte

To count, I will generally disregard victories (like Normandy) that can be attributed to more than one nation.

I also won't get bogged down in details and may consider an entire operation than included several linked or related battles.

Germany - the conquest of France 1940
Italy - Conquest of Ethiopia maybe or something by frogmen?
Japan - Tsushima
Russia/USSR - Kursk
Great Britain - El Alamein
France - Verdun
United States - Leyte

So, 20.century only?

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Such as not bothering to write a Constitution elucidating rights? :p

And for the USN, USS Kearsarge (which we have), Yorktown (she did more at Midway than the Enterprise), and Oregon (or any of the Spanish American War ones, just to recycle less used names) are my somewhat random 3.

Yorktown awaits more CG to be commissioned since that is where the "battles" are commemorated. Oregon will be used for either a 774 class SSN or one of the new SSBN-X missile boat.

For France, I vote for Verdun too, for its length (the French proved they could stand non-stop for one year), width (it was said that every French soldier of WWI served for at least some time in Verdun) and memory (today every French town has a Verdun Street).

TFSmith121

Banned
Verdun certainly seems the choice for 20th Century France

For France, I vote for Verdun too, for its length (the French proved they could stand non-stop for one year), width (it was said that every French soldier of WWI served for at least some time in Verdun) and memory (today every French town has a Verdun Street).

Verdun certainly seems the choice for 20th Century France.

Marne as the second choice?

Best

Perhaps the HMS Spitfire ?
This works well because it's been used before.

Also, Wikipedia has this thrilling narrative. From the SMS Nassau article:

At around midnight on 1 June, the German fleet was attempting to pass behind the British Grand Fleet when it encountered a line of British destroyers. Nassau came in contact with the destroyer Spitfire, and in the confusion, attempted to ram her. Spitfire tried to evade, but could not maneuver away fast enough, and the two ships collided. Nassau fired her forward 11-inch guns at the destroyer, but they could not depress low enough for Nassau to be able to score a hit. Nonetheless, the blast from the guns destroyed Spitfire's bridge. At that point, Spitfire was able to disengage from Nassau, and took with her a 6 m (20 ft) portion of Nassau's side plating. The collision disabled one of Nassau's 15 cm (5.9 in) guns, and left a 3.5 m (11.5 ft) gash above the waterline; this slowed the ship to 15 kn (28 km/h; 17 mph) until it could be repaired.[29] During the confused action, Nassau was hit by two 4 in (10 cm) shells from the British destroyers, which damaged her searchlights and inflicted minor casualties.[30]
The fact that a destroyer was able to even survive such an encounter is amazing, let alone inflict damage on a battleship.