More Royal chartered companies go the way of the Hudson's Bay Company

Thande

Donor
The Hudson's Bay Company, founded in 1670, had authority over the Hudson's Bay (duh) and latterly Rupert's Land, having a trade monopoly over the fur trade in British North America. After the monopoly was abolished in the 1870s, the Company remained and nowadays runs a chain of department stores in Canada "The Bay", as well as various other ventures, and continues to fly the same flag on those stores as it used to on its ships in the 1700s.

What if a similar modern fate can be found for some of the other great chartered companies?

I'd love it if there were now a chain of "EIC" department stores across the Republic of India... :D

600px-Hudsons_Bay_Company_Flag.svg.png

The Hudson's Bay Company, founded in 1670, had authority over the Hudson's Bay (duh) and latterly Rupert's Land, having a trade monopoly over the fur trade in British North America. After the monopoly was abolished in the 1870s, the Company remained and nowadays runs a chain of department stores in Canada "The Bay", as well as various other ventures, and continues to fly the same flag on those stores as it used to on its ships in the 1700s.

What if a similar modern fate can be found for some of the other great chartered companies?

I'd love it if there were now a chain of "EIC" department stores across the Republic of India... :D

I don't know if it counts as a "great" chartered company, but the Falkland Islands Company is still very much a going concern, and seems to fit your criteria...

Sargon

Donor
Monthly Donor
Bad news for you Thande, I seem to recall that The Hudson's Bay Company was recently bought by a US company or something....

EIC department stores would be cool though. Maybe a descendant of mine would still be on the board? ;)

Sargon

Last edited: