More Muslim Asia

What if Hinduism, Zoroastrianism and Buddhism never Existed?

What if China, India, Mongolia, Vietnam, Thailand, Korea and Japan Adopted Islam as their Religion?

What if All of Asia is Muslim?

Would Indonesia and Malaysia Become Muslim Earlier?

What is Effect Asia of History from 800-Today?

What is Effect of Rise of Mongol Empire, Exploration, Trades, Crusades, Rise of the Ottoman Empire, Fall of Qing Dynasty, WW1, Chinese Civil War and WW2?

How does East Asia and South Asia look like Today?

If you butterfly Hinduism, Buddhism, and Zoroastraniasm, then you butterfly Islam. As for Islam spreading into the Far East, I don't see China converting except through invasion and I don't think the armies of Islam are strong enough to defeat the Chinese.

If you butterfly Hinduism, Buddhism, and Zoroastrianism, then you butterfly Islam. As for Islam spreading into the Far East, I don't see China converting except through invasion and I don't think the armies of Islam are strong enough to defeat the Chinese.

Islam is not a Polytheistic Religion as Hinduism, Buddhism and Zoroastrianism

Islam is a Monotheistic Religion like Christianity and Judaism

But No Offense

Is Just Your Opinion

Islam is not a Polytheistic Religion as Hinduism, Buddhism and Zoroastrianism

Islam is a Monotheistic Religion like Christianity and Judaism

But No Offense

Is Just Your Opinion

He's talking about the (prevailing, at least on this site) view that Islam, like all other religions, is a historical and anthropological construct. Of course if one is a particularly devout believer, they will believe that revelation was inevitable and thus that it would occur anyway.

Taking the secular view which is dominant on the site (and which I personally subscribe to) I'd say that Islam already got pretty close to it's biggest possible extent in Asia. As it is, parts of Western China are largely Muslim. I don't think that Islam could become dominant in China, but there were both large inland communities and large coastal ones (in Fujian for instance).

Without Spanish colonisation of the Philippines, you could see a greater conversion to Islam as local polities are influenced more and more strongly by Muslim Sultanates in the East Indies.

I don't think Japan or Korea could have gone Muslim, but there were existing Arab trading communities and these could translate to fairly notable groups of converts in those countries.

Dunno about Cambodia, but I did read something about a short-lived Muslim emirate that was toppled by the Dutch. Try googling Dutch-Cambodian War.

Islam having more influence in China is fairly easy to do and there is a lot of opportunities for it to arise. First, the Arabs could potentially conquer and convert parts of western China fairly early on. This is least likely however as the Arab armies could hardly go toe to toe with China during the 700s.

More easily, you could have Timur, with help from the Northern Yuan dynasty, conquer the majority of China and establish a Mughal-like Islamic dynasty (with some luck.) The majority of Chinese would however probably still adhere to a native religion however, but with a strong Muslim ruling class we may see an India-like situation arise where Muslims make up a huge minority in this new Chinese state. The Islam practiced in this stars however would be largely different than to other conventional forms of Islam, taking on a largely Chinese character (as China tends to absorb ideologies into its own culture rather than shape it's culture around new ideologies).

Also bear in mind that with a Muslim dynasty in China, the Mughals may not arise in India thus Islam may never become a huge force there. Yet it is still possible for an Islamic state to rise in India after one in China, and with Islam being dominant in all states around it, India might become even more Islamic with North India potentially becoming majority Muslim.

Islamic Mongolia and Siberia and fairly easy to do if we have a Muslim Northern Yuan Dynasty. With China ruled by Muslims, Islam would make huge inroads in South East Asia as well and potentially become the largest religion in the area. Korea will also have strong exposure to Islam from China but probably will not see mass conversion. Japan too would hold onto Shinto and Buddhism but with a greater Muslim minority.

Islamic Phillipines is fairly easy to do. If we don't have a Spanish Conquest (which will have been butterflied away), we can see many Islamic sultan tend arise and consolidate power in the region.

Islam will probably never have a majority in East Asia but can certainly have a larger number of adherents and become an even more dominating religion.

Okay, I won't lie; Dardani1996 is a proponent of unpopular views (like the idea that a longer decolonization/more whites in Africa would actually help the continent, that Catholicsm is inherently anti-science and anti-progress, and now bigotry towards Polytheistic religions and a condescending 'Read this article that doesn't actually prove my point').

But, to actually say something constructive, I agree with what others have said in the thread, as well as outright say that as Islam spreads eastward, it will change. Women's mosques are an example.

Last edited:
Okay, I won't lie; Dardani1996 is a proponent of unpopular views (like the idea that a longer decolonization/more whites in Africa would actually help the continent, that Catholicsm is inherently anti-science and anti-progress, and now bigotry towards Polytheistic religions and a condescending 'Read this article that doesn't actually prove my point').

But, to actually say something constructive, I agree with what others have said in the thread, as well as outright say that as Islam spreads eastward, it will change. Women's mosques are an example.

I'm Sorry It was in my own Opinion

I'm Sorry It was in my own Opinion

You're sorry, yet you still say stuff that's literally wrong, like the notion that Copernicus was burnt at the stake (again, he didn't, he died in bed).

You're entitled to your own opinion, what you're not entitled to are outright fallacies.

The notion that Monotheistic Religions - all of them - would still appear identical to OTL if their Polytheistic competitors were butterflied away is bigoted, even if you are a monotheist. If there is a God, they would, taking note of different circumstances in the mortal realms, send the same revelation to different people and different cultures, who would then influence, some say even twist, the same revelation in different ways.

But again, it's just my opinion as well, and I don't want to turn this into a Chat thread.

------

To say something constructive, a Muslim Dynasty in China might lead to Sufi-Taoist syncretism.

Last edited:
Eunuchs cannot reproduce, and thus cannot form a dynasty.

Wait, but couldn't they adopt sons among their best officials like the Five Good Emperors of Rome?

---

Anyway...

You can't butterfly away any religion founded before Islam without butterflying away Islam.

To get a more Muslim Asia, well, the rest have already said much on that.

A Muslim Indochina might not be too difficult. You just need the Chams to triumph over their enemies.

Islamic Phillipines is fairly easy to do. If we don't have a Spanish Conquest (which will have been butterflied away), we can see many Islamic sultan tend arise and consolidate power in the region.

The Bolkiahs need to defeat the Majapahit remnants and Islamize the people of Luzon in order to control Luzon completely...

didn't at least some of the Mongols end up assimilating into Islam? that could be a means to more widespread Islam in Asia, especially if--due to butterflies--their invasion of Japan succeeds