Modern Ottoman Empire

Unless I am very wrong, there were more occupation zones, or were supposed to be - including an Italian one.
I know Italy wanted an occupation zone in Cilicia, but I didn't think it had got into the Treaty of Sevres, only the Treaty of London... though I might be wrong there.

Keenir

Banned
I saw the Sevres map several years ago....and the zones were all along the coasts. from memory:

map.jpeg

I know Italy wanted an occupation zone in Cilicia, but I didn't think it had got into the Treaty of Sevres, only the Treaty of London... though I might be wrong there.

Cilicia was a French sphere of influence, the Italian one was in the south-west, facing the Dodecanese.

That Sevres map does show an Italian possession, but it's just that peninsula.

Actually, Castellorizzo is an island.

Wasn't part of the coast east of Trebizond reserved for Georgia? That's how I've seen it on some maps. I think the area is called Lazistan.

Leo Caesius

Banned
Wasn't part of the coast east of Trebizond reserved for Georgia? That's how I've seen it on some maps. I think the area is called Lazistan.
Yes, the Laz are Muslims who speak a Kartvelian language (the area has produced a few famous singers lately, like Kâzım Koyuncu), just as the Hemşinli are Muslims who speak a dialect of Armenian.

Here's a more accurate map of the proposed partition of Turkey under the Sèvres treaty:

Sevres.jpg

Thande

Donor
Well those maps depict a situation that IS rather harsh towards the Turks.

However even the blank area on Leo's map is still several hundred times the size of Cornwall :rolleyes: (yes, I know I'm being annoyingly literal)

Thande

Donor
BTW, Leo, what's the OTL modern Cypriot division doing on that 1920s map? :confused: They weren't considering a partition then were they?

Leo Caesius

Banned
However even the blank area on Leo's map is still several hundred times the size of Cornwall :rolleyes: (yes, I know I'm being annoyingly literal)
That can't be right, I've seen maps of an independent Cornwall on this very forum and it was easily that size. ;)

Leo Caesius

Banned
BTW, Leo, what's the OTL modern Cypriot division doing on that 1920s map? :confused: They weren't considering a partition then were they?
No, they were not. That's an anachronism, but then again so are the modern borders of Turkey. I think that the people who designed this map are trying to make some kind of point (I got it from a website entitled "Non à la Turquie en Europe." My French is somewhat rusty, but I'm fairly confident that Non à la Turquie translates as "Turkish-style Nun," which sounds like a very sinister recipe indeed).

Thande

Donor
That can't be right, I've seen maps of an independent Cornwall on this very forum and it was easily that size. ;)

I know you're joking but just to underline my point for everyone:

This Euratlas map of 700 AD basically shows Cornwall
(well, Dumnonia) at its absolute maximum bounds OTL. Note size relation to Anatolia. ;)

europe_700.jpg

Thande

Donor
No, they were not. That's an anachronism, but then again so are the modern borders of Turkey. I think that the people who designed this map are trying to make some kind of point (I got it from a website entitled "Non à la Turquie en Europe." My French is somewhat rusty, but I'm fairly confident that Non à la Turquie translates as "Turkish-style Nun," which sounds like a very sinister recipe indeed).
Those anticlerical Frenchies, eh? :rolleyes:

Yes, I do know what it actually means.

Keenir

Banned
I know you're joking but just to underline my point for everyone:

This Euratlas map of 700 AD basically shows Cornwall
(well, Dumnonia) at its absolute maximum bounds OTL. Note size relation to Anatolia. ;)

well it looked tiny on the map! :cool:

@Leo

With a POD post Napoleonic and without the European territories, would the Empire stand a chance when the time of nationalism kicks in?

A moderate muslim (even better "secular muslim"), Turkic-Arabic federation perhaps? Or is this pipedreams?

Keenir

Banned
@Leo

With a POD post Napoleonic and without the European territories, would the Empire stand a chance when the time of nationalism kicks in?

A moderate muslim (even better "secular muslim"), Turkic-Arabic federation perhaps? Or is this pipedreams?

a Turkish-Kurdish and/or a Turkish-Armenian state, very likely...but the more groups that one tries to keep in the Empire, the greater the odds of something going wrong.