Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Anyone have any ideas on how to recreate a stable de facto late Eastern/Western Roman Empire split, better yet de jure?

I was imaging that a wildly successful Franco-Ottoman alliance that has reached the point of constant coordination and clear delineations of spheres of influence could reach such a situation de facto with a few border adjustments, such as Ottoman suzerainty over North Africa and southern Italy in exchange for French hegemony over Germany up to the Oder. The idea being that the historic borders are horse traded around in the name of realm cohesion and to minimize religious friction with a de facto Catholic West and Muslim East with Orthodox Christians being the redheaded stepchild of the Franco-Ottoman hegemony

Now, nothing last forever of course, but could such an arrangement last for ex. a generation? Or even arise with any degree of coherency?
Wank the Italian branch of the Palaeologus family while also improving things for their cousins in the East, possibly via marriage alliances?

Is it in any way plausible for the Bavandids or Baduspanids to conquer all Persia? They were regional dynasties in the mountains along the Caspian Sea who traced their ancestry to the Sassanids and until relatively late were Zororastrians. Although at times they had strong rulers, they never really amounted to more than semi-autonomous magnates who always submitted to outside powers ruling Persia. But there were many periods where Persia was divided into warring states, and I wonder if as late as the period after the collapse of the Ilkhanate in 1335 and rise of the Safavids in the early 16th century if they could seize power. Hell, given the Safavids started as a Sufi order, maybe they could use that to gain the necessary manpower.

The main mistake of the Portuguese and the reason why they did not pursue Luzon and Mindanao is that they want to have Visayas and Palawan as well as it is part of the Treaty of Tordesillas and Zaragosa as part of their territory and can't concede with getting Luzon and Mindanao only which they have already discovered

Last edited:
What is/was the demonym of those who are living within the basin of river Tagus, both in Spanish (Tajo) and Portuguese (Tejo)?
There isn't really one as the Tagus in Portugal is a dividing line between two cultures, ribatejanos (north of the river) and alentejanos (south of the river)

I suppose you could use "tejano" as an alt-denonym.

And then there's Estremadura, the name given to two separate regions, one in Portugal by the mouth of the river and the other in Spain by where the Tagus passes. You could use that name.

An idea I've had in the back of my head for a bit, if France won the Seven Years War (That is, they force Britain to recognise their claims to America) and America ends up having a revolution and becoming independent (Entirely possible, Britain wouldn't be in a mood to compromise as they thought an America with too much freedom could be a fifth column, and the Americans weren't afraid of challenging British authority before the Seven Years War) then how far would America realistically be able to push their border with New France? The French fortifications were quite resilient and America failed to conquer Canada twice OTL, could they be permanently boxed in on the coast?
I've always thought that the French territory in what is now Canada would probably hold, while all land in the OTL!USA would likely be lost. IIRC, New France was sparsely populated, with most of the population being concentrated in and around Québec.

What was the last chance to save the Mughals? No Aurangzeb? (He seemed to have really started the downward spiral)? (India History question).

this is from an alternate timeline I've been playing around with where Grant is assassinated instead of Lincoln. Lincoln's second term ends up seeing the US actually deal with the legacy of the Confederacy and slavery, and one big change is that the US does not create the Posse Comitatus Act specifically to stop the military from enforcing civil rights, rather it is created so that there would be a branch of the military specifically for that purpose.
united_states_gendarmerie_by_ynot1989_de2g18s-pre.png

The United States Gendarmerie is the domestic law enforcement branch of the United States military placed under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department. Its area of responsibility includes smaller towns, rural and suburban areas, while civilian law enforcement agencies are largely exclusive to cities. Because of its military status, the Gendarmerie also fulfills a range of military and defense missions. The Gendarmes have a cybercrime division. The force has a strength of more than 100,000 personnel, as of 2019.

The Gendarmerie is the direct descendant of the United States Marshals, an institution that lasted from the ratification of the constitution until Reconstruction, and to a lesser extent the short-lived Secret Service, which was created in 1865 to combat a wave of counterfeiting in the United States. During the 1870s the US Army's occupation of the former states of the Confederacy was forcing the War Department to take on civilian law enforcement responsibilities that the Army was never designed for, and as a result numerous neo-Confederate groups were able to continue operating despite various powers given to the military to contain them. In 1878 on the advice of former Minister to France Elihu B. Washburne, then Senator James G. Blaine introduced the Posse Comitatus Act to create a military branch purely for civilian law enforcement. Opposition to the act came largely from the remnant Democratic party and conservative anti-Reconstruction Republicans, but was ultimately passed and signed by President Schuyler Colfax, establishing the United States Gendarmerie under the Justice Department. The first Chief of Staff of the Gendarmerie was Allan Pinkerton.

The early days of the Gendarmerie saw the service routinely come into conflict with the US Army, despite General William T. Sherman's initial support for the agency. General Allan Pinkerton secured the reputation of the Gendarmerie through the creation of its investigating arm, the National Intelligence Service (NIS), which successfully identified neo-Confederate terrorist groups, most famously leading to the arrest of the membership of the White League. The Gendarmerie later came into confrontation with state and local governments, as the agency is required to enforce Federal Laws and adhere to the Constitution above often unconstitutional state laws.

At the start of World War I, the Gendarmerie's roll expanded to serve as the military police force on domestic and foreign bases, and the NIS was given responsibility over investigating on-base crimes. Public opinion of the Gendarmerie is typically divided on the Urban/Rural divide, with the country's rural communities generally seeing the Gendarmerie less favorably than urban communities, who seldom interact with them, and many state leaders in the American interior have called for the abolishment of the Gendarmerie at various points throughout their history.

(This is not me)

What if the Union had been able to capture Savannah, Vicksburg, and Charleston in 1862? (And Mobile and Shreveport soon after.)

(With or without Lee as the head of the Union, though works best with him at the head to not speed up the war too much since he’d amor likely camp in Richmond once taken. Joseph E. Johnston opposing, since Johnston’s the only Confederate who’d be willing to trade land for breathing room rather than do a suicide charge/rabid hold of the city until the Union crushed the ANV to the point where the answer to the question is “Immediate Union victory”.)

For context, before leasing the ANV, Lee was responsible for the setting up the defense in Savannah, which prevented the city from being taken until Sherman marched through Georgia.

There’s this thread: which mentions that after the fall of New Orleans, Confederates had the option of sending the guns of the city to either Vicksburg or Mobile, Alabama. IOTL, they chose the former, so when Brigadier General Thomas Williams tried to take the city on 18 May 1862, he didn’t have the forces necessary to take it. ITTL, the guns go to Mobile, and Williams takes the city. That means, assuming history rhymes, that Grant’s Vicksburg will be at Mobile, depriving the Confederacy of two major ports a year ahead of schedule each.

More for morale reasons, the capture of Charleston (South Carolina) at the Battle of James Island (or the Battle of Secessionville) would be a massive blow to the city (and also save a lot of it from destruction rather than serve as a symbol of Davis ‘ pride allowing him to condemn a city to destruction rather than let it surrender.

If this moves up the Red River campaign (perhaps as a joint effort between Grant going to take Mobile, and Sherman to take Atlanta and link up with Union held Savannah, with Banks able to take Shreveport by late 1862-early 1863), how bad is the Confederacy screwed, especially supply-wise? Even assuming that these city captures are mostly bloodless so there’s still Confederate forces roaming around, able to do battle at any second.

(Are there any other Southern cities that had earlier capture attempts IOTL?) (Seeing Davis’ obsession with glorious, honorable battle and being able to knock out the Union in a big fight, I don’t think he’ll actually see the loss of these cities as a problem, other than Charleston, at least until the supply problem bites.)

well do you know the Guelphs and the Ghibellines ?, well the two dynasties are at the origin of the conflict that so tore medieval Italy apart ( since Guelph is literally the Italian translation of Welf, while Ghibelline is the transliteration of a Staufen castle in Swabia )
WAIT, IT'S THEM?

Damm, I do need to brush up on my pre-Habsburg HRE XD

How likely would it have been for Hannibal to have been killed by the Carthaginian senate if Carthage won the Punic Wars?

well do you know the Guelphs and the Ghibellines ?, well the two dynasties are at the origin of the conflict that so tore medieval Italy apart ( since Guelph is literally the Italian translation of Welf, while Ghibelline is the transliteration of a Staufen castle in Swabia )

WAIT, IT'S THEM?

Damm, I do need to brush up on my pre-Habsburg HRE XD

without forgetting that the Welfs were already strong opponents of the Salians, who they considered " usurpers ", furthermore their immense state patrimony ( Duchy of Bavaria and Saxony ) made them practically the second most powerful family after the imperial one ( the Staufen ) finally the real division took place at the turn of the 1170s, when Henry refused to assist Frederick militarily in his Italian campaigns and then rebelled, although technically the first signs of the rivalry could already be seen between the imperial election contested between Lothair II of Supplimburg and Conrad III of Swabia