Miranda's Dream. ¡Por una Latino América fuerte!.- A Gran Colombia TL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn, you are good! In 1824 Miranda would be 74! Quite old already! So Bolivar is gonna be a bad guy, uh -shiver-! I like it. A question: is Daniel O'Leary and the Irishmen anywhere near or they just went to fight in North America?...I have always seen O'Leary as Bolivar's old fashioned personal courtisan. And what about Manuela Sáenz? It would be nice to see her as major character in the future! Sorry to bother you with so many questions, hahaha. Can't wait to the next update!

Thanks! Yeah, Miranda will probaly die around that time, and that will be quite a shock to Colombia. I see him acting as sort of a dad to the entire country and to the Colombian government. I didn't think that much about O'Leary, really, just because he didn't show in Latin America until OTL 1817, and by that date the Independence Wars are already won in TTL. I do have plans for Ireland, so he may come to Colombia later. He probably won't meet Bolivar, and if he does, he will do so well after the Libertador has passed his prime.

As for Manuela Saenz, I've always liked the idea of a strong and decided woman taking an important role here, so she'll make an appareance. Perhaps I can cast her as sort of a mother to Colombia... She will probably be mentioned in the next update about Latin America and then go on to take important roles in Colombian's politics during the years to come. Unfortunately, she won't be able to take any office directly, but you know what they say "behind every great man, there's a greater woman".

Go right ahead.

That would be funny. You could always put it in ASB and say its satirical, that way no one will complain.

Thanks, I just hope I manage to execute that idea properly. Haha, it will be filled with sarcasm and black humor. I think several users like that kind og humor. It'll do it as soon as I finish this TL.

First, I would like to say it's really nice to see a TL about Latin America, those are hard to find. I like the basic idea and the objective of this.

Now, I'm not going to call this ASB, as no Alien-Space-Bat seemed to be around, but I found a lot in it at best really implausible.

Being most comfortable in Argentine history, I will limit myself with what I found hard to believe there.

San Martin a dictator? Really? We are talking about the guy who refused to intervene in the starting civil war when the war was already won and who didn't want to kill his own countrymen. Never mind he's apparently pulled a coup at a time the country was in far more danger and he wasn't a national hero yet.

Most of La Plata really damaged? The independence wars saw many kinds of battles and damage, but never serious destruction of buildings. Mainly because cannons and munitions were too few and hard to make from scratch. There were hardly serious urban battles.

If I'm not mistaken with what I read, the Orientales teamed up with the Riograndenses? Really? The same guys who a generation ago took most of the Misiones Orientales and their lands? Those who although culturally similar were part of the reason the country was occupied by the Portuguese just like in OTL. I will like to remind that even after the Platinean government abandoned them and all, the peoples of the Liga Federal, who did feel they had a separate identity, didn't fought for independence. They fought to get back into the United Provinces, and only became independent after a stalemate between Brazil and the United Provinces brought the UK to settle the issue so both sides were content, or at least neither won.

Regarding the Spanish counterattack that somehow managed to get all the way down to Cordoba when in OTL, with the Northern Army shattered and under the command of Belgrano(who although a great patriot was at best a bad commander) the Spanish couldn't get past Tucuman, I will remind you geography in South America is a bitch(the same bitch that means the are to be at least 4 countries in the Spanish area). Being that the Spanish base of operations for the reconquest of the Alto Peru was first Cuzco and after that La Paz, logistics make it almost impossible for this to happen. Supposing Belgrano o whoever was in charge ITTL followed orders and retreated to Cordoba, they patriots would have been attacked by a Spanish army who would have to make a great trek in barren lands, in hostile lands and surely under the harassment of the local gauchos.

Also, why didn't San Martin of all people tried the Andes route to liberate Chile and the Lima. He came to Buenos Aires as part of a masonic group who were backed with the British and whose main objective was this plan, the Maitland Plan. Going through the Alto Peru sounds nice. But logistics and geography make it more difficult. Instead, the Maitland Plan was designed to break the backbone of Spanish South America.

And finally, having an Platinean country, centralist under the power of Buenos Aires and in a dictatorship ceding free navigation rights to France(or the UK) or whoever is scratching the ASB wall. If they were federalists sure thing. But Buenos Aires as the center of power never liked the idea. In fact, it was only agreed upon when the Inner country federalists defeated Rosas and Buenos Aires. And if they were federalists, surely the Banda Oriental would be part of the herd. They disliked the Portuguese more than anyone else and knew they had more safety grouping with their fellow Platineans.

Well those are some of my complaints.

P.S. NAP? Navio de la Armada Platinea? At least in Spanish, Platinea was not and is not a word. Better try with Platense.

First, I would like to say it's really nice to see a TL about Latin America, those are hard to find. I like the basic idea and the objective of this.

Thanks

Now, I'm not going to call this ASB, as no Alien-Space-Bat seemed to be around, but I found a lot in it at best really implausible.

Being most comfortable in Argentine history, I will limit myself with what I found hard to believe there.

Alright, any constructive criticism is welcomed.

San Martin a dictator? Really? We are talking about the guy who refused to intervene in the starting civil war when the war was already won and who didn't want to kill his own countrymen. Never mind he's apparently pulled a coup at a time the country was in far more danger and he wasn't a national hero yet.

Perhaps I didn't get San Martin's personality quite right, and I don't like to handwave things, but people change, you know? San Martin pulling such a coup and then winning the civil war is good for the aims I have for the TL. Also, I was sure I wrote he was already a war hero thanks to his participation in the war in the Andes, didn't I? Oh well, if I didn't then I will edit it so it makes more sense.

Most of La Plata really damaged? The independence wars saw many kinds of battles and damage, but never serious destruction of buildings. Mainly because cannons and munitions were too few and hard to make from scratch. There were hardly serious urban battles.

La Plata is damaged, but not so much. Buenos Aires and Montevideo sustained heavy damage thanks to a combination of siegues, attacks, rebellions and failed landings. They're not completly destroyed, but they're not completly fine either. In the country side, most of the damage was produced for the fight that destroyed camps and farms. Overall, La Plata isn't damaged extremely, but they did sustain damage as bad as OTL and lesser than TTL's Colombia.

If I'm not mistaken with what I read, the Orientales teamed up with the Riograndenses? Really? The same guys who a generation ago took most of the Misiones Orientales and their lands? Those who although culturally similar were part of the reason the country was occupied by the Portuguese just like in OTL. I will like to remind that even after the Platinean government abandoned them and all, the peoples of the Liga Federal, who did feel they had a separate identity, didn't fought for independence. They fought to get back into the United Provinces, and only became independent after a stalemate between Brazil and the United Provinces brought the UK to settle the issue so both sides were content, or at least neither won.

No, you are mistaken. The Orientales and the Riograndenses never teamed up. The Riograndenses started a revolt in their own, revolt that the Orientales took avantage of to retake most of Oriental Provinces (OTL Uruguay). In TTL's 1830, Uruguay is in La Plata while Misiones Orientales (Rio Grande do Sul) is with the Empire of Brazil. The Oriental Revolution will have consequences later, though. Also, the Federal League didn't fight to win their independence. They fought to install a federal system isntead of a system centralized in Buenos Aires. It's kind like the Spanish Civil War. Was Franco fighting to gain independence from Spain? No, he was fighting to install a fascist regime of his own.

Regarding the Spanish counterattack that somehow managed to get all the way down to Cordoba when in OTL, with the Northern Army shattered and under the command of Belgrano(who although a great patriot was at best a bad commander) the Spanish couldn't get past Tucuman, I will remind you geography in South America is a bitch(the same bitch that means the are to be at least 4 countries in the Spanish area). Being that the Spanish base of operations for the reconquest of the Alto Peru was first Cuzco and after that La Paz, logistics make it almost impossible for this to happen. Supposing Belgrano o whoever was in charge ITTL followed orders and retreated to Cordoba, they patriots would have been attacked by a Spanish army who would have to make a great trek in barren lands, in hostile lands and surely under the harassment of the local gauchos.

I made some mistakes with the description of the war, I admit it. So, I consider the maps I made later to be more faithful. I'll go back and make the neccesary corrections later, but for now let's use the maps I made as a point of reference. In those you can see that once they were pushed back the Spaniards never managed to take more than OTL Bolivia.

Also, why didn't San Martin of all people tried the Andes route to liberate Chile and the Lima. He came to Buenos Aires as part of a masonic group who were backed with the British and whose main objective was this plan, the Maitland Plan. Going through the Alto Peru sounds nice. But logistics and geography make it more difficult. Instead, the Maitland Plan was designed to break the backbone of Spanish South America.

He wanted to, but first he wanted to push the Spaniards at least outside of OTL Northern Argentina, to then start an attack through the Andes. Then, the Civil War with the Oriental League for which system La Plata should use started. When La Plata stabilized enough to start offensive operations once again, Chile was already freed by O'Higgins and the Colombians were in the gates of Lima.

And finally, having an Platinean country, centralist under the power of Buenos Aires and in a dictatorship ceding free navigation rights to France(or the UK) or whoever is scratching the ASB wall. If they were federalists sure thing. But Buenos Aires as the center of power never liked the idea. In fact, it was only agreed upon when the Inner country federalists defeated Rosas and Buenos Aires. And if they were federalists, surely the Banda Oriental would be part of the herd. They disliked the Portuguese more than anyone else and knew they had more safety grouping with their fellow Platineans.

La Plata isn't a dictadorship. After the Civil War and when the Royalist efforts collapsed once Colombia took Lima, La Plata was reorganized into a Democratic Federation by orders of the Congress of Cucuta, orders to which Artigas agreed but San Martin didn't, the reason of his exile ITTL. La Federacion Platense is formed by several states which also form their own alliances. The major centers of power are Oriental Provinces, Buenos Aires, Entre Rios y Corrientes. After San Martin left the country, Artigas became the major leader in La Plata by virtue of experience and senority. The goverment works like an even looser union than the USA in its first years, with each state having its own armies and laws. The states reluctanly work together and though La Plata does have a central government, but the President is almost powerless with Artigas taking almost all decissions in secret. Buenos Aires didn't like the idea of either the French or the English messing with them, but the pression of almost the entire country made them accept the decission. Summarizing, for now the Federals have the most power in La Plata, which is centered around Montevideo and not Buenos Aires for the time being.

Well those are some of my complaints.

P.S. NAP? Navio de la Armada Platinea? At least in Spanish, Platinea was not and is not a word. Better try with Platense.

Oh, I can't believe I made that mistake. I'm supposed to be an Spanish native speaker... Ah, doesn't really matter. The acronym works either way. By the way, Platinean becomes an English work inside the timeline.

Thank you for your criticism.

Chapter 17: Europe 1816-1830.
A new era.- 1816-1830

It’s quite surprising for students in the Americas, especially Latin America, to discover that their period of peace, “Congress Latin America” overlapped with Europe’s own period of peace, the Concern of Europe. Stereotypes abound, and just like the average European doesn’t know much about Latin America aside from Mexico, Colombia, Brazil and La Plata (“the Big Four”), the average Latino thinks that Europe was still in some war during the period. The reality, of course, is completely different.

While the United Kingdom could firmly establish itself as the most powerful country in the world thanks to both naval and industrial power, they still had important competitors in Continental Europe. France was still the first British enemy, being the second most industrialized nation and conserving a very powerful army, powerful enough to defeat both Prussia and Austria at the same time. Nonetheless, France’s navy was pathetic and thus France didn’t represent any threat to the United Kingdom, but the fact that there was such a powerful country in the continent was a menace to the precious balance the UK wanted to conserve.

61815.jpg

France in the early XIXth

After Carlos X was crowned as King of France and Navarra, he surprised the world by appointing Lafayette of all people as prime minister. This decision brought the support of the masses as they still saw him as a hero, and also brought the United States closer to France. Under him, France successfully called for the Peace of Madrid and won the favor of Mexico and La Plata. He also supported the liberal revolutions in Spain and Portugal, creating what he called a “Liberal Block” against the rest of the continent. Relations with the Papal States and Sardinia Piedmont also improved, while keeping a somewhat stable democracy. Tensions between conservatives, reactionaries and liberals were high, especially in the French parliament, but France lived an age of prosperity overall.

Prussia meanwhile finally consolidated itself as one of the Great Powers of Europe, becoming increasingly industrialized and powerful, having one of the most modern and numerous forces in the continent. Prussia didn’t care that much about the new republics in the Americas, being perfectly happy to let the United Kingdom and France have all the influence there. Some of the new republics managed to contract Prussian military advisors though, most prominently Chile and Colombia. Austria, on the other hand, started to see how ethnic nationalism was starting to threaten its very existence, from Hungarian, Italians and Slavs wanting to gain independence to how Prussia was becoming a serious contender for Austrian domination over the German peoples.

250px-Metternich_by_Lawrence.jpeg

Klemens von Metternich, Prime Minister of Austria and the sworn enemy of liberalism.

We must mention the “German Question” here. It has its origins in the Napoleonic Wars, when the German peoples started to feel that they should be united by virtue of sharing a common language, culture and history. The Holy Roman Empire was dissolved and nobody showed interest in bringing it back to life, with the loose German Confederation put in place instead. The Confederation was, naturally, Austrian led, but the rise of Prussia as another Great Power of the world make the different German kingdoms, principalities, duchies question themselves which path they should follow. The Ancient Hapsburg Empire, full of honor and victory but also full of angry minorities and practically stuck in the Middle Ages? Or Prussia, the rising star of Europe whose militaristic and industrialist culture clashed with that of some Southern German Kingdoms like Bavaria? The German would rage for the decades to come.

The Iberian Peninsula lived a somewhat stable period, under two Constitutional Monarchies propped by France. The Monarchs were displeased with the political situation, as they wanted to return to absolutism but couldn’t. The people of both Spain and Portugal were also upset for the lost of their colonies and the fact that they lost much of their global status and power with them. Nobody was really satisfied with the actual governments, the Liberals angry because their countries weren’t liberal enough while the reactionaries were upset because they were far too liberal for their liking. This created a tense environment where protest were very common, as well as attacks against liberals, reactionaries, common people and more. The situation conspired for the start of the first Iberian Diaspora, as the Spaniards and Portuguese abandoned their countries for the more stable and relatively wealthier (when compared with the war-torn Spain and Portugal) countries of Latin America, with Colombia being the great winner there. It’s calculated that in the entire period of Congress Latin America around 200.000 people immigrated to Colombia, more than half being Spaniards.

CongressOfVienna.jpg

The German Question: Austria or Prussia?

In Eastern Europe there was some agitation in the Polish areas, but nothing came out of it. Russia, now in possession of the majority of Poland and of Finland had firmly established itself as one of the Great Powers, especially when it came to military power. The country was still backwards and wouldn’t start real industrialization for various decades, though.

In the Low Countries, France was doing fine with its half of the former Austrian Netherlands, due to the fact that the inhabitants were French speaking Catholics. The only exception was Brussels, and even then the French didn’t have too much problems, starting to assimilate them practically right away. The United Kingdom of the Netherlands was resentful of the French presence in Wallonia, but was happy with having Flanders. Some problems arose from the Catholic status of the population there, but the king William resolved them by promoting religious freedom, all in the name of saving his country. He also started programs to assimilate them into Protestants, but they wouldn’t be very successful.

The Balkans were scenery of conflict in 1821 when the Greek War of Independence started. After years of negotiations, Russia and the United Kingdom stepped it, the former looking to protect fellow Orthodox Christians and the latter to expand its influence. France tried to take part on it, but the United Kingdom didn’t want to risk the chance of France gaining yet another Constitutional Monarchy in its sphere. The Royal Navy, with some assistance from the Russians, then proceeded to crush the Ottomans in the Battle of Navarino. Greece finally reached its independence towards the end of the decade. A direct consequence was that the Ottoman Empire tried to close the Dardanelles to Russia, only to be defeated in a short war that secured Russian control in Georgia and free navigation in the straits. Another consequence was that Muhammad Ali of Egypt started to claim control of Syria in repayment of his role in the Greek War of Independence.

300px-Epanastasi.jpg

Greek Revolt.

In North Africa a new age of Imperialism started as Charles X moved 36.000 troops to Algeria, starting the colonization of the land in the name of “civilizing” the natives. Another proof of this was the British East India Company achieving almost total control over India, the jewel in the crown of the British Empire. Many years would pass until Europe decided to set its eyes in the riches of Africa, but the foundations were laid.

If we had to remember at least one good thing an European Power did during this period, it would be the creation of the West Africa squadron by the United Kingdom, all in the name of stopping the slave trade. Most countries had already banned slavery, but it was still legal in the great majority of the Americas, most prominently Brazil and the United States. The trade itself had been banned by both Colombia and Mexico, though both nations also had to work some issues before being able to definitively ban that horrible and disgusting institution.

In the United States, after the disastrous War of 1814 practically destroyed the economy, leaving the nation in shambles, James Monroe took power. His principal concern was rebuilding the United States, starting a heavy campaign of state intervention which, is generally agreed, did more bad to the economy than good. The Union stabilized, but another question was formed due to the annexation of new territories in the west.

James_Monroe-AB.jpeg

James Monroe, the fifth president of the United States.

Monroe wanted to maintain the balance between the Southern States, hell bend in keeping slavery and the Northern States, which loathed the practice but were willing to tolerate it thanks to the great importance of cotton to the American economy. The country had just lost a great amount of territory in the north, thus it was precise to take certain actions to ensure there existed balance between both areas. The Missouri compromise was signed, prohibiting slaves above the 37º Parallel, while making an agreement of dividing the lands the United States claimed in Mexico between the South and the North. He also started a program to make the Southern economy stronger, with huge projects of industrialization, trying to make both parts of the country more equal. It’s agreed that this was his fatal mistake, as it only made the South stronger when the Civil War started.

When it comes to Latin America, Monroe’s infamous for his Doctrine, which said that America should be for the Americans and that no European Power had the right to interfere, have colonies there or even invest in industry or infrastructure. The doctrine was thoroughly refused by Latin America, most prominently Colombia, Brazil and Mexico, all of which greatly benefited from European intervention. The most frustrating part of the Doctrine was just how paternalistic and condescending it was towards the new nations, practically saying that the Latino Americans couldn’t govern themselves and that the area was only for the United States to do as they please. The United Kingdom, still upset and with bad relations with the US, and France, which didn’t want to lose its newfound influence, rejected the Doctrine as well.

An agreement was reached at the very end of Congress Latin America, agreement that stated that no European power had the right to intervene in the Americas, but no country in the Americas had any right to intervene in neither Europe nor any other country in the continent. Thus, for example, Colombia couldn’t interfere in Peru and the United States couldn’t interfere in Mexico. This New Doctrine, sometimes called Andrade Doctrine after the Mexican Prime Minister, was broken numerous times during the following years, of course.

2668081_249px.jpg

Andrade, the Mexican Prime Minister.

In 1824 elections were celebrated in the United States. The "failure" of the Monroe Doctrine, which was revelated to have been almost completely written by John Quincy Adams, brought the outrage of several people, who did want to have complete control over Latin America. They turned to Willian Crawford and Henry Clay, as possible presidents. The situation ended in an stalemate between Crawford and Adams, situation resolved when Clay decided to switch his support to Crawford, thus allowing him to become president. Clay would later call this his greatest mistake.

Indeed, Crawford went bad from the get-go, having a stroke just a few weeks into office. His government was then largely unremarkable, with almost all of his ideas being shut down by the Congress, full of Adams' sympatizants. He failed to repair the damaged American economy (not that Monroe did much better, mind you, but Crawford was much more incompetent) and was clearly favoring the South when it came to development. A prominent supporter of States' rights and liberties, he only deepened the separation between those United States of America over which he governed.

In Asia, the British started to grow opium and export it to China in order to make their new colony of India profitable, while the Dutch consolidated their empire in Indonesia, slowly but surely. The Philippines, one of the few colonies the Spaniards still held but, like with the majority of their former colonies, didn’t care about that much, were still there. Spain’s new prime minister, however, decided that it was enough, and the lack of care Spain showed towards its colonies was the direct motive of the Latin American Revolutions. He started to offer education in Spanish, first in major urban centers, and also took actions to develop the Filipino resources and create some industry. Some people from Latin America who were loyal to Spain were encouraged to settle in the Philippines, with Spanish citizenship being offered in exchange. The largest populations came from Mexico and Peru and formed the basis of the new Filipino elites, but at the same time, the basis of the Filipino national identity, as they brought liberal ideas with them.

eastindia.jpg

The British East India Company.

Overall, the age between 1816 and 1830 was stable and prosperous, at least for the European Powers. The war devastated world was healing. All the people looked forward to a new era, an era of unprecedented technological advances, of revolutions, imperialism and nationalism, a new era in which the ancient regimes of Europe struggled against new ideals while laying their hungry eyes in the riches of Africa and Asia; a new era in which the young republics of the Americas struggled to find their own identities and to prosper. Nobody knew what this future era would be like, yet they still saw forward to it with hearths full of hope.

Great update! Just a question: In this timeline we are still known as "Latinos"? Nowadays many claim to be proud of the name but it started as a derogatory term, like Hispano. Also, do you have plans for Asia and Africa? I think the developments in Europe and the Americas should affect them as well.

Last edited:
Great update! Just a question: In this timeline we are still known as "Latinos"? Nowadays many claim to be proud of the name but it started as a derogatory term, like Hispano. Also, do you have plans for Asia and Africa? I think the developments in Europe and the Americas should affect them as well.

Not yet. The French are already claiming that they, Spain, Portugal and all the excolonies should stand together by virtue of a shared history and culture, but the term "Latino", and by extension "Latino America" and related, don't exist yet. And yeah, I do have plans for Asia and Africa. Japan and Ethiopia will have several butterflies that, I hope, will be interesting.

Very nice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Chapter 18: La Latino America del Congreso, Part III.
La Latino America del Congreso Part III.- Is the Dream over?

"I am, and always will be the defender of the rights, liberties and independence of our Americas. I have defended and will defend those ideals for the rest of my life, both because it is fair and neccesary for the salvation of our poor compatriots and because I'm interested in everything related to the human species. My dream, is thus, to not only see a strong region, able to stand its ground and cooperate for the good of everyone, but to see our people happy, united and prosperous. But, in light of recent successes, I can't help but wonder if that dream is nothing but a mere fantasy of a rambling old man..."
-Francisco de Miranda, father of Colombia.

In 1824, all the people in Latin America contained their breaths as a pivotal moment in the history of the region, and perhaps the world, took place. Francisco de Miranda, president of the Republic of Colombia, had finished his second presidential term and declined to run for a third. This left Colombia divided between two possible candidates, both fathers of la patria and important generals. Those two men were Simon Bolivar, Generalissimo and Governor of the State of Venezuela; and Francisco de Paula Santander, yet another general and also Minister of the Army and Navy.

Since the very beginning of the Republic, Colombia had been divided between two factions, the Conservative “Centralists” who wanted a strong central government, protectionism and limits in international trade and immigration, and to expand the role of the Armed Forces in politics. Rallying behind Bolivar, this faction had the almost complete support of the Criollo elites and the people of Venezuela, and Ecuador to a lesser extent. The Army, and several of the Generals like General Flores, also supported them.

On the other hand, there were the liberal “Federalists”, who argued for a federation or even a loose confederation with a weak Federal Government, free market and immigration and delimitation of the role of the Armed Forces in peace time. Led by Santander, and favored by Miranda and Sucre, the Federalists had their support base in Cundinamarca, Central America and Hispaniola. The Navy was mostly in their side, along with little sectors of the Army like the Garrison of Hispaniola and the Honor Guard.​

2,+PRIMERA+REP%C3%9ABLICA+ESPA%C3%91OLA,+BLOG+DE+XAVIER+VALDERAS.jpg

Pro-Centralist political ad.

The Elections, planned for August 10 in honor of the patriots that died in Quito, thus put Santander’s Federalist Party (Partido Federalista) against Bolivar’s Centralist Party (Partido Centralista). The situation was very tense, not only in Colombia, but through Latin America. Colombia had positioned itself as the second most powerful nation in the continent, only behind the United States, and had great influence in the region, especially thanks to Miranda’s System of Congress Latin America.

In Mexico, His Imperial Majesty Agustin I and the Prime Minister and Duke of Monterrey, Antonio Andrade, waited. In Peru, de la Mar had won yet another election; he supported Santander out of pragmatist, after all, a Colombia with a very strong Army was not good for Peru, but de la Mar also hoped that if Bolivar won, Colombia would collapse and be dissolved. In Chile, O’Higgins was worried; he didn’t know if Congress Latin America could continue without Miranda, or rather, with Bolivar at the helm; he also didn’t know if that was something positive or not. In La Plata, Artigas and the other Platinean Leaders were divided, some wanted Santander to win, other Bolivar, but nobody agreed why. In Brazil, the Emperor Don Pedro was apathetic, having to deal with his own problems, namely displacement with the elites and landowners.

Finally, the day came and the Criollos and the very few Indigenas and Mestizos who could vote moved to do so. The great majority of the population of Colombia was happy with Miranda’s rule. He had brought education with Decreto de la Educacion General, which dictated that any community with more than one hundred neighbors would have a school, with obligatory schooling for kids between six and twelve; also funding the Universidad Central de Colombia, in Quito, Santafe and Caracas. He had brought prosperity and industry, together with a powerful navy and quite possibly the best equipped and trained army in the continent. He had brought union in the nation, serving as the father of all the Colombians. Yet, he was now too old to govern effectively – the Independence War had taken its toll.​

retrato-miranda.jpg

Miranda in the presidential palace towards the end of 1830.

The Libertadores were waiting in the Presidential Palace. Bolivar and Santander tensely stared at each other. The common perception of them nowadays is that of a united group of friends, but the fact was that there was almost no friendship between the group. Camaraderie and respect at best, outright contempt at worst. Bolivar and Sucre were friends, but Sucre was also Santander’s friend. Nariño mostly kept to himself, and Santander and Bolivar were bitter enemies, even since before the elections. Miranda had been the only person that kept the Libertadores united and willing to work together for the greater good of La Patria, but everybody wondered if they would be able to continue doing that. After all, no matter who won the elections, both Santander and Bolivar knew that the other was far too important to just push aside or even assassinate; but neither wanted the other to be around if they became President.

Results were ready in a couple of months. Santander had won with 59% of the popular vote to Bolivar’s 41%. Some parts of Colombia were outraged by the result, with Venezuela even threatening to secede from the Republic. The Colombian parliament, divided between the Federalists and the Centralists, started to argue fiercely, with Venezuelan Ministers supporting an independent Venezuela, while the Cundinamarcan ones wanted to keep Colombia united. Ecuadorian Representatives were apparently neutral, but everybody knew that should Venezuela secede, Ecuador would follow suit quickly.

The situation reached its climax when Bolivar decided to launch a coup d’état against the government of Santander, marching with his own personal militia, the Sociedad Venezola, into the Congress. The Guardia de Honor started to fight with Bolivar’s militia, and several congress members died that day, but Santander and several key members of the government managed to flee. Then Miranda stepped in.​

nace-la-gran-colombia-600x310.jpg

Bolivar y sus milicianos, painted by one of his sympatizers.

Miranda was very elderly, and his health was deplorable due to overworking himself. He had not been able to conceive any son with his wife, and most of his family was death. He had once declared than his only and true family were all the Colombians, his children, no matter their position, race or anything. He was beloved by everyone, criollo, mestizo, native, immigrant, Venezuelan, Cundinamarcan, Centralist, Federalist…

Miranda faced Bolivar and dared him to attack and kill him. Witnesses of the success would later say that Miranda seemed like a stern father reproaching his son. Bolivar’s militia was unable to shot against the father of the Patria, laying down their arms. The Guardia de Honor then proceeded to arrest them and Bolivar, restoring order to the Congress and Santander to his position as president of the Republic.

Reactions through Colombia were mixed. Most people reacted with horror to Bolivar’s actions, especially the fact that he killed several compatriots (in fact, most of the Congress members that died that day were Venezuelan) and how he threatened Miranda, all in hopes of installing a dictatorship under himself. The mixed part comes in that several people still supported him nonetheless.​

santander.jpg

Francisco Paula Santander, as President of Colombia.

Bolivar’s coup attempt, sometimes called the 18th Brumaire of Simon, mocking his Napoleon delusions, would ironically be what consolidated the Santander government. Santander took advantage of the situation to arrest all the Venezuelan politicians that supported Venezuelan secession, and replace them with other Venezuelans loyal to him. Bolivar, meanwhile, disappeared from the political radar and didn’t take part in the next elections in 1828, which were easily won by Santander.

However, Bolivar remained in Colombia, being a thorn in the side to the successive governments until his death in 1851. Santander knew that he was far too important to simply execute or even imprison for extended periods of time, especially because doing that would outrage his sympatizers, and his retirement from politics meant that he couldn’t give him unimportant works, like overseeing the Armies of Central America or be the Ambassador to some obscure country. He remained, thus, a liberator of the patria and very beloved through the country, with his attempt of a coup being not taught nor diffused by the Colombian education system during several years. He was still under strict vigilance, and even though the other libertators tried to prevent it, he still had great influence over the country. It’s often said that Santander kept himself alive with only his willpower in order to keep Bolivar in check, because Santander would only die in 1842, one year after Bolivar.

In Latin America and the world the reactions were quick. Officially, all the governments in Latin America were shocked and deeply regretted the incident, but actually, several of them wished Bolivar had succeeded. De la Mar of Peru especially wanted Bolivar to successfully pull out the cup, because he felt that it would provoke Colombia to collapse.​

San_victorino_1824_%28Roulin%2C_Fran%C3%A7ois_D%C3%A9sir%C3%A9%29.JPG

A rural town of South America during the Congress Age.

The last years of Congress Latin America were spent in relative peace, with a constant albeit slow grown in all the countries in all aspects. Colombian industry was thriving and very successful, along with its education system. Slavery was still a hot topic, but the laws of Freedom of Womb and the Fondo Monetario para la Gente Esclava (Monetary Fund for Slaves) were still active. The Fund was created to repay slave owners once their slaves became free, and to give some money to the slaves so they could sustain themselves until they found a job. Once they were liberated, most of the former slaves would then migrate to Hispaniola or the Colombian coastal areas to work in the industries there, more prominently sugar, coffee and cacao.

Brazil, Mexico and La Plata on the other hand were much more dependant in exportations. La Plata in especially became an important seller of food to the United Kingdom and France. All of the aforementioned nations would neglect their industry during this decade and generally misuse the great quantities of money they gained out of it. Chile, Charkas and Paraguay were not nearly as successful, even when Chilean Nitrates and Charkean cooper were highly prized and sought after.

Politically, the final years of this era are considered to have been stagnant. Santander, as it already was said, continued to lead Colombia until the very end of the era, while La Plata, Brazil, Chile and Mexico were still under the same leaders. In Brazil, though sometimes struggling with the elites, Don Pedro dominated the politics of the young nation. In Mexico, Andrade was still favored as prime minister, if only because of his great talent and also because there was nobody around that could stand to the challenge. In La Plata, Artigas continued to pull all the strings behind curtains, with the Federal President, Ignacio Alvarez Thomas, being little more than a figurehead. The Federals still had most of the power, much to the dismay of the Porteño Elites, who especially despised how Artigas tried to give more importance to Montevideo and the European influence. Consequently, most of them would end up becoming Unitarios, who advocated for a Centralized State.

200px-Portuguese_Cortes_1822.jpg

The Brazilian Imperial Court.

In Chile, O’Higgins continued being the president until 1827, when Fernando Errázuriz Aldunate would be elected as president of the Republic. Chile, unlike most of Latin America, wouldn’t fall into a dictatorship except for one short period of time. It remained a stable, though oligarchic republic. Charkas and Paraguay were both under dictatorships, but neither was really brutal, their worst actions would be simple not allowing either country to grow and prosper.

Central America had been practically reduced to a Colombian puppet and was very unstable, but the Colombians managed to prevent a dictator from taking power. Haiti was relatively happy and prosperous under Leroy’s Benevolent Dictatorship, while Spain turned to try to consolidate its rule over its remaining colonies, Florida, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.

Peru was the only exception. La Mar had been elected president in 1818, and then reelected in 1822. His second term came to an end in 1826, and then Jose Bernando de Tagle was elected by the congress in indirect elections. However, his presidency didn’t turn out to be quite like most of the Peruvian people expected. He tried to open the country to investment and improve the relations with Colombia, decisions that didn’t sit well with the old, conservative elites. In 1828, while Colombia was in the middle of the turmoil of new elections, La Mar launched a successful coup and became the Supreme Leader of Peru.

300px-Map_of_the_Gran_Colombia_showing_disputed_territory_by_Peru.svg.png

The Colombian Territory Peru claimed along with Tumbes.

Now having all the power in the state, and enjoying mass approval by the people and elites, La Mar started to take more and more extremist decision, increasing the power and size of the Peruvian Armed Forced, and questioning the decisions of the Congress of Cucuta, which he called a Colombian System. La Mar and Santander had profound disagreements over the territories of the former Viceroyalty of Peru that Colombia held ever since the Congress, and of the “abuses” (whether real or fictitious) Colombia committed during the War.

Tensions were really high, as the Peruvian people seemed to be only more united while Colombia was still divided by Bolivar’s fiasco. Peru was, still, an equal to Colombia, but the Peruvian leadership feared Colombia would eventually utterly outclass Peru, or even the entire Latin America and then become a dominant state that would rule the region with an iron first. Words that have been called prophetic sometimes, but are said to be just “paranoid ramblings that doesn’t resemble reality” by Colombian historians.

san-martc3adn-y-la-serna.jpg

The Peruvian Government discuting the "Colombian question".

Diplomatic negotiations reached a boiling point towards the end of 1829, as Peru threatened Colombia with war if they didn’t hand back Tumbes and almost the entire Colombian Amazonia. Santander refused to do this, but called for a conference. La Mar didn’t want to hear this.

In January 27th, 1830, Peru broke diplomatic relations with Colombia and mobilized for war. In February 1st, 1830, Latin America and the world observed how Congress Latin America collapse once the first Peruvian soldier reached Tumbes. In his office, listening to the news, Miranda couldn’t help but wonder if that was the end of his dream.

3110032_249px.jpg

Peruvian cavalry advancing into the State of Azuay, in the South of Colombia.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

So the Peru-Colombia war happens on schedule, albeit with both powers having some time to rest and recuperate before butting heads.

Colombia's got the home field advantage and excellent terrain to defend, but Peru has more bodies to throw. My money's still on Colombia given Peru's recent instability. Although, I do think that a loss from this war (if the war is short and decisive, but with little real material concession) might strengthen Peru in the long run as the elites will be united in fear of Colombia. That in term will usher in something like the Guano era a few decades earlier, with of course, the added benefits of mining from Bolivia.

And of course, the budding military industrial complex needed by a state like Peru which is big, authoritarian and unequal, to say the least.

Gonna be one hell of a boom.

So the Peru-Colombia war happens on schedule, albeit with both powers having some time to rest and recuperate before butting heads.

Colombia's got the home field advantage and excellent terrain to defend, but Peru has more bodies to throw. My money's still on Colombia given Peru's recent instability. Although, I do think that a loss from this war (if the war is short and decisive, but with little real material concession) might strengthen Peru in the long run as the elites will be united in fear of Colombia. That in term will usher in something like the Guano era a few decades earlier, with of course, the added benefits of mining from Bolivia.

And of course, the budding military industrial complex needed by a state like Peru which is big, authoritarian and unequal, to say the least.

Gonna be one hell of a boom.

Yeah, but Peru may be able to provoke a full scale collapse of Colombia if they take Quito. In such a situation, Venezuela and Hispaniola would probably secede immediatly, while the USCA and Haiti would become completly free. At the end, no matter who wins, this war will change both countries a lot.

Great update, looking forward to the war in South America since I don't think I've ever read about one in this forum.

Neither have I. It seems that after the Independence there were no wars in South America in this site...

Just found this TL, very good reading and interesting, even as a Spaniard :p Subscribed.

Just one minor thing I've seen the same typo repeated in the updated. It's not Latín América but Latinoamérica or América Latina. Although to be honest, the bit about Spain investing more in Spanish classes in the colonies is rather far-fetched, seeing as how that was not the case in the peninsula OTL until the Ley Moyano of 1847.

Just found this TL, very good reading and interesting, even as a Spaniard :p Subscribed.

Just one minor thing I've seen the same typo repeated in the updated. It's not Latín América but Latinoamérica or América Latina. Although to be honest, the bit about Spain investing more in Spanish classes in the colonies is rather far-fetched, seeing as how that was not the case in the peninsula OTL until the Ley Moyano of 1847.

Haha thank you very colonizer! Now, seriously, just to be clear, I don't have anything against Spain. It's just that when you're writting a TL from the point of view of a former Spanish colony that has just won its independence, it's hard to write favorably about them. In real life, I quite like Spain and would like to visit it someday. As for ortography... I though Latin America was correct in English? Finally, I could swear I wrote that the Spanish government also started to invest in the education of the Peninsula, but it seems I didn't... I'll edit it.

Hope Gran Colombia fucks up those Peruvian lapdogs!

Sad to see my country can fall so low... Well, at least I know we'llbe better in the long run.

Now, I don't see the Peruvians as villanous or bad, just people who saw everything they once knew crumbling around them, and misgueded by a dictator, are willing to go against who they consider the enemy. Just as in real life, nobody (at least in the general population) is good or bad here, everybody is only trying to do what they think it's best for them and their loved ones. And yes, Peru will end up better than OTL. I plan them to have, for example, one of the best education in history in the world.

Sounds like it will be bloody...

Perhaps, but it's still the early XIXth century, and even when both countries had time to rest, I really doubt either would be able to field as much men as the European powers did in the Napoleonic Wars. To make a point of comparission, OTL's Gran Colombia-Peru war had no more than 5000 men in each side and the casualties (in combat) were of around 1000 for Colombia and 1500 for Peru.

I asume you have further plans for Sucre, right?

Yes. Since his death is butterflied, he will pay a great role in the politics and history of Colombia. By the way, I think I forgot to mention it, but Sucre supported Santander against Bolivar, and Sucre is also the current minister of the Armed Forces.

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

Yeah, but Peru may be able to provoke a full scale collapse of Colombia if they take Quito. In such a situation, Venezuela and Hispaniola would probably secede immediatly, while the USCA and Haiti would become completly free. At the end, no matter who wins, this war will change both countries a lot

I agree broadly although I doubt Santo Domingo would want independence considering the fear of invasion from Haiti at this time, feeding into the mentality the state needs a 'protector' of sorts.

I agree broadly although I doubt Santo Domingo would want independence considering the fear of invasion from Haiti at this time, feeding into the mentality the state needs a 'protector' of sorts.

On second thought, I agree with you. The real danger for Hospaniola would probably be some man making a coup d'etat in Haiti, retiring Leroy from power and attacking Santo Domingo while the Colombian Central Government is unable to do anything to prevent it. Who knows, Venezuela could convince Santo Domingo to join her in seceding, but not as an independent country but rather a state of Venezuela. As the people of Hispaniola would be desperate to have someone protecting them, they may agree....

Status
Not open for further replies.