Military Strategy with a Confederate Maryland

How about the Maryland legislature learns about their executive warrants of arrest in the nick of time and escapes the US army. It secedes, wether or not they would have in the first place. The legislature moves to Westminster/Frederick/Sykesville in hiding. How about that for a POD? (Is it ASB)

Maryland and the Emancipation Proclamation in 1861

The US loses sympathy in Europe for losing their capital city, and gains sympathy in Europe for abolishing slavery.
The only reason the US didn't abolish slavery in 1861 when Lincoln took office and the Southern Senators and Representatives left is because he was trying to save the Union by appeasing the slaveowners.
No Maryland, and slavery is gone immediately.
This leaves a Union army in the Cumberland and another on the shore, a strategic occupation first of the Delmarva peninsula, followed by blockade of the Confederate capital of DC and Baltimore.
This has another factor in logistics. The Army of Northern Virginia could rapidly move back and forth to guard Richmond from both the north and the east, from land invasion across the Potomac and sea invasion up the James.
Now they can't.
Maryland costs them an extra army. On the other hand, if they can extend conscription to Maryland they can raise another army. This kind of cancels itself out.

Eh, I Wasn't Tryin' to Pwn him ...

I Just Don't Like it When The 13375 Pick on The N00bs ...

Especially When All they Do is Nit-Pick and NOT Contribute Somethin' Useful, ya' Know?

:D

Most appreciated! I felt it would be spiteful if I replied myself:eek:

I'm not sure how to quote two different passages in one email, so in response to moving the Maryland capitAl, :)p) I think a government in exile in Virginia (I'm saying Norfolk- far from the fighting, but with a potential naval link if the Union blockade can be run.
I also agree with wkwillis that slavery is probably abolished earlier, and that defending Maryland probably results in the earlier downfall of the Confederacy. I think the supply problem becomes acute as the Union marches down from the Appalachians and their navy steams up the James. They're more likely to suffer a route in MD that they can't recover from, making the conquest of Virginia significantly easier.