Mexican Nobility Help

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forum!

For a thing I'm working on, I am gonna need some reasonably wealthy family in the Mexican nobility in the mid-19th century. Anyone know of any that would qualify? (I am finding it hard to find good sources on Mexican nobility that isn't in Spanish.)

If you're just looking for basic info, can you run those sources through google translate?
Just out of curiosity, have you TRIED doing that? With Spanish (which I don't speak or read), I have as much luck understanding it by pretending it's bad French/Latin as by reading the 'translation' Google gives me.

If you're just looking for basic info, can you run those sources through google translate?

Just out of curiosity, have you TRIED doing that? With Spanish (which I don't speak or read), I have as much luck understanding it by pretending it's bad French/Latin as by reading the 'translation' Google gives me.

I was being imprecise in my statements, it would appear. :p:eek:

More accurately, it should have read. I am finding it hard to find any good sources, and those sources I find (which are in Spanish) are mostly genealogies that tells nothing of what property these families owed, what their political views, connections and aspirations were, whether they were involved in administration, etc.

They basically just go "Family X, founded when King Y made Z a nobleman. Roots originally in region W of old Spain. List of people having the title of Duke/Count/Marquis/Viscount of X."

The only family I have actually been able to find anything more on (and where there is no lack of information in English) is the House of Iturbide, and I would like to be able to use another family than the first Imperial would-have-been-dynasty.

As always I started with wikipedia and got this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_nobility

I googled one name from that: Manuel Rodriguez Saenz de Pedroso count of Xala. His family ended up investing into the Pulque trade in Mexico Citty. Owning 21 haciendas and thirteen casillas as part of a marriage alliance with Pedro Ramon Romero de Terreros the Count of Regla.

From "El Recreo de Los Amigos" Mexico City's Pulquerias During the Liberal Republic (1856-1911).

Noble titles were outlawed twice in the 19th century so that could be why it's hard.

Last edited:
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forum!

For a thing I'm working on, I am gonna need some reasonably wealthy family in the Mexican nobility in the mid-19th century. Anyone know of any that would qualify? (I am finding it hard to find good sources on Mexican nobility that isn't in Spanish.)

Didn´t the House of Montecuma still existed at that time ?

Hmm... this book looks really good, The Medieval Heritage of Mexico by Luis Weckmann. It appears to say that there was so much intermarriage among the Titled Nobles that by the end of the colonial period 6 families monopolized a 1/3 of 63 existing titles.

Have a look at Lucas Alaman, Marquis de San Clemente. His life was well-documented enough that you should be able to find tidbits about his family and properties too.

Didn´t the House of Montecuma still existed at that time ?

The House of Monteczuma did cross my mind, but all lineages I could find that were still nobility had ended up in Spain at some point. I did discover however that there are still many descendants (non-nobility) of Leonor Cortés Moctezuma, the illegitimate daughter of Hernán Cortés and Isabel Montezuma, Montezuma II:s eldest daughter. I cannot help but wonder how many perfectly ordinary Mexicans there are out there who has no clue that they are the descendants of both the Aztec Imperial family as well as the Conquistador that sacked the Aztec Empire, but there's got to be at least a handful of them...

Anyway, it was probably good I couldn't find any suitable candidates. The House of Montezuma, like the House of Iturbide, would have been "too obvious" in a way.

Manuel Rodriguez Saenz de Pedroso count of Xala. His family ended up investing into the Pulque trade in Mexico Citty. Owning 21 haciendas and thirteen casillas as part of a marriage alliance with Pedro Ramon Romero de Terreros the Count of Regla.

From "El Recreo de Los Amigos" Mexico City's Pulquerias During the Liberal Republic (1856-1911).

Noble titles were outlawed twice in the 19th century so that could be why it's hard.

Hmm... this book looks really good, The Medieval Heritage of Mexico by Luis Weckmann. It appears to say that there was so much intermarriage among the Titled Nobles that by the end of the colonial period 6 families monopolized a 1/3 of 63 existing titles.

Have a look at Lucas Alaman, Marquis de San Clemente. His life was well-documented enough that you should be able to find tidbits about his family and properties too.

I thank you very much, good people! This is very useful stuff! :)